Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Other apps keep interrupting Spotify?

Other apps keep interrupting Spotify?

Hey guys

Premium user here.

I've recently switched from iPhone to Android (Google pixel 3 to be exact) and I keep experiencing this issue where other apps constantly interrupt and pause my Spotify?

For example, when I watch Snapchat videos it will pause my Spotify music in the background when on iPhone I had the option to just put my phone on silent and watch the video without noise unless I turned the volume up during the video playback. When I scroll through Instagram, the same thing happens. Every time I scroll past a video it plays with sound and interrupts Spotify. Every time I try to turn media on silent it turns Spotify to silent (no volume) as well.

This is really frustrating me. I've done a lot of research and found a handful of users out there experiencing the same issue but can't seem to find an answer.

I have only just returned to Spotify after using Apple music for years (I left Spotify due to a bad experience but now that I'm back on Android I thought I'd give it another shot) and it hasn't been as faith-restoring as I thought it'd be.. am I just Android illiterate? Please help!!

Cyn

Top Answer
Ver
Spotify Legend

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

This is an expected behavior. We always strive to improve our app and the experience with it. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea. That way other users can also support it. Rest assured that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

32 Replies

Hey @Cokezxx,

Thanks for describing your issue and giving examples. 

Have you already tried doing a clean reinstall? It's essential so that the app could function at its best.

If yes, you can directly follow these steps:

• Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
  • Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.
  • Restart the phone.

Let us know if these fixed anything! Thanks in advance 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Terrible generic answer. You know full well that isn't anything related to the question. It's media playback interrupted by other apps, and the least you could do is resume playing if a twitter or YouTube video interrupts it. Better yet let the os mix it, allow the user to select not to have it paused. 

Spoiler

It is 29.11. 2020 and the issue has still not been addressed. It is at least seven years old, wake up Spotify!

That was pathetic.

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

This is an expected behavior. We always strive to improve our app and the experience with it. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea. That way other users can also support it. Rest assured that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am a developer and it is never a desired behavior to crash an application without telling the user anything. Your response simply implies that Spotify does not care.

Hey there @petr_marek,

Thank you for your post and feedback.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

For me it's pathethic to call bugs features, not to make a moderator reply (although I admit I could have been more polite). But thank you for joining me to make someone address your original post 🙂 At least now we know where the problem lies and that it will probably never be solved.

This is the most frustrating thing ever. I recently switched from Apple Music to give Spotify premium a go after everyone saying it’s the best but this is a joke! If they don’t start prioritizing Spotify music playback over ads on different apps I’m out! 👋

I have been using spotify for years and i remeber when i first started ising spotify there was an option in the settings that said let spotify continue running when other apps run or don't let other apps stop spotify playback when running or something along those lines. And when u toggled it on it fixed this problem. and then there was a spotify update and this option vanished. i assumed eventually u would bring it back but u never did. U NEED TO BRING THIS OPTION BACK TO SPOTIFY SETTINGS INSTEAD OF REPEATEDLY  LEAVING THE SAME ANNOYING AUTOMATED REPLY MESSAGE!!!

Hey @hennisy420,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things not working as you'd like.

As @Ver mentioned - if you think your suggestion will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app.  

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey @JeremyTheRobot

How about you guys just fix the problem instead of being dumb cunts.

Oh... that's right..... you want to allow ads on other apps to play. 😂

"We always strive to improve our app and the experience with it."

No. No you don't. Never have, never will. Unless there's money to be made.

Just admit you don't care at all about the users and their issues/wishes.

Pathetic useless response.
An insult to the OP and maybe actionable.

Allow Spotify to keep playing over my timers

**bleep** heads

please Spotify allow, the user to have a option not to be stoped. As a developer this just ruins other apps user Experience

I´m a software developer with decades of experience. It´s not acceptable to ask the users to create an 'idea' for a BUG.
For instance, I made whatsapp totally silent, and while it won´t disturb other apps, it will stop the music when I´m driving, having to risk my safety to get the attention into the phone.
How come this would be an acceptable user experience? Please explain.

If you’re on android there’s an app called sound assistant, that’s what I use, you just tell it to allow Spotify over everything else. That’s what I found online when it started happening to me, but now I’m having the problem on iPad and the app isn’t on iOS, so is there any solution for iOS?

Ok. Got it. Spotify is a piece**bleep** company that won't be fixing this very **bleep**in annoying issue and I should cancel my premium subscription and take my money to YT Music. Thanks.

Suggested posts