Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[PLEASE READ] Android 5.x Lollipop - Distorted playback, sound levels fluctuating or pauses etc...

Solved!

[PLEASE READ] Android 5.x Lollipop - Distorted playback, sound levels fluctuating or pauses etc...

If you are experiencing issues with sound quality, volume, distortion etc and you are running Android 5.x Lollipop please try disabling 'Nuplayer' from the developer settings. This is an experimental player Google introduced to Android and is known to cause some issues.

To disable open up the settings app from your app drawer. Scroll to the bottom and tap 'About'. Find the 'Build number' detail (possibly in 'Software information - More) and then tap on the build number 7 times until it flashes "You are now a developer".

Now go back to the settings screen and above where you tapped 'About' you should now see 'Developer Options'.

Tap this and scroll down until you see 'nuplayer', if it is checked uncheck it, go back to your homescreen and restart your devce. Hopefully the issues you had should be gone.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
55 Replies

same results. I guess I could downgrade but the equalizer isn't that important.

Thanks sarcan! Will try this!

I am having terrible trouble with my Samsung S4 running on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop

The sound is so distorted through headphones that it has rendered Spotify useless.

The vocals are distant and tinny, and the sound is just generally distorted.

I have tried all the suggested fixes that I can find onthe internet and all those in this thread and nothing has helped.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is this a known issue?  Is it being fixed or patched?

Thanks

Hello! 

Did you try installing Spotify 2.8 and not 3.0? That helped me some! I'm using Android 5.0.1 as well on a LG G3.

I've been having this volume fluctuation problem with Spotify on Lollipop, but I think I've cracked it. Disabling the nuplayer thing made no difference, but I was noticing the volume was 'ducking' in louder parts of the songs, e.g. in choruses. I figured the waveform was peaking because I had the bass and treble boosted, so I disabled the EQ and the problem went away. I guess I'll just have it 'flat' until they fix it.

I would download this EQ called "Bass booster". It works great on Android!

This did not solve my problem at all.

I have absolutely terrible sound quality on my device comparing to Google Music app. Bass is almost non existent while high notes tear my ears apart. 

It's been 6 months since the issue was discovered, unfortunately nothing got fixed with updates.

I'm dissapointed, but I will have to switch to Google Play Music.

I just switched to a new phone (Sony z5 compact) and i got the bug thats stop playing songs in playlists at the end. I have to press next manualy to get to the next song in playlists. My androidversion is 5.1.1. My prev. phone (Sony z3 compact, 5.1.1 same Android) did not have trist problem.. There is no "nuplayer " in develop, only an option "use awsomeplayer instead of nuplayer" but there is no difference if i use that.

Hi, same issue here with my new Sony Xperia Z5 compact (android version 5.1.1): songs stop playing unless "next" is manually pressed, regardless the option "use awsomeplayer instead of nuplayer". Is there any chance to fix this boring issue ?

Same issue for me on the Sony Xperia z5, not skipping to the next track on some playlists. I added a 1 second crossfade between songs, which seems to have fixed the issue.

Used this method with success. The last step was choosing awesome player as default.(thus disabling nuplayer)

Hi,

I purchased the samsung galaxy s2 tablet and been having the same issues with volume level fluctuating (low to high) while playing a playlist.  I followed the instructions on "nuplayer" but it didn't help.  I tried several options, uninstall/reinstall, clear cache, called samsung support and nothing seems to help.  Is there any other alternative to fix this volume level?

Thanks.

where's the reply? or suggested solution?

I went through the developer settings and did research online, and it looks like Galaxy S7 phones don't have the NuPlayer option. My phone will not continue to the next track when used in the background (unless the screen is unlocked and app is open), and often will stop midtrack as well. Any solutions???? 

Suggested posts