Phone media volume affecting spotify volume on other devices

Phone media volume affecting spotify volume on other devices

asaletnik

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8 (Android 9, last upgrade Oct 1, 2019)

Spotify version: 8.5.30.579

Plan: Premium

Spotify connect devices:

- Win 10 PC / Notebook

- Raspberry running Raspotify

iEAST AudioCast M5

My Question or Issue

I have noticed some weird volume changes when playing music on devices other than S8 - have been troubleshooting it for a while (turned off audio normalization, and hardware acceleration where available, etc) and tracked down to my phone causing the issue.

My scenario:

• play music - either on Win 10 client or one of connected devices
  • set volume to 100%
  • volume gets randomly updated to match phone media volume setting

Confirmed by setting phone media volume to few different values, every time the volume of my Win 10 client or spotify connect device was updated to match phone media volume after a while. Usually I see some activity in devices section when this happens (like my phone showing up, or disappearing).

Things I've already tried:

- disabling volume normalization on all devices

- disabling hardware acceleration on PC clients

- reinstalling Android app and PC clients

- turning spotify connect devices off, turning PC clients off (when troubleshooting)

- manually killing Android app, and turning back on - doesn't cause volume change

5 Replies

Re: Phone media volume affecting spotify volume on other devices

DiDiDi
Same problem here. Seems like a recent Spotify Connect 'feature', but it is incredibly irritating.

t03apt
Visitor
Same for me. I have a Samsung A5 2017 phone with Android 8.0.0.
Please fix it ASAP.

Grudden
Visitor

I have the same/similar problem. I am have spotify on a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge phone, my Lenovo Laptop and directly on my Onkyo receiver. All of the sudden, without me not even touching any of these devices the Spotify (it is the drag bar within spotify app on laptop not the overall volume of windows, for example) sound volume goes up to max on telephone and laptop and to really loud on my receiver. When it happens on my receiver I am glad I am not 80 years old because I would get a heart attack when it happens since it goes from comfortable listening level to above nightclub volume level (!!) and probably damaging to the ears.  

Glenn-Jürgen
Visitor
Yes this is crazy annoying. I have the same problem, when my phone wakes up and the Spotify daemon on the phone activates the Spotify volume on my PC goes to 10% matching the media volume on my phone. The app should not change the volume if the music is not playing on the app-device unless changed by the user.

KSansevere
Regular

Same issue. To test it out, I even went into the Spotify app on my phone, went to the devices and raised the volume from the phone for my computer and my Spotify volume increased on my computer. They need to turn this feature off or give us an option to turn it off. I also have the same issue on my Echo devices where it resets the volume to max. Really wakes me up in the morning but is really loud.

SUGGESTED POSTS