Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Play a specific Podcast via Tasker

Play a specific Podcast via Tasker

Hi all,

I'm trying to automatically play the newest episodes of a podcast after I connect to a certain BT device.

But I can't get tasker to start playing a podcast.

This thread shows how this works for playlists, but none of these options work for podcasts.

Opening a podcast is possible via the Action:android.intent.action.VIEW intent (as explained in the above thread). A last resort could be to use AutoInput to automatically click the play button, but this would also mess with locked screens.

Even AutoSpotify is unable to find or play podcasts, because it only searches for tracks and not podcast episodes.

This can be seen by comparing the URIs for a track and a podcast episode:

Podcast: spotify:show:1ug9njZpEHg6aOyzUHPkFE

Podcast episode: spotify:episode:7xtfYUAU9XcUrINeujauM0

Track: spotify:track:4u7EnebtmKWzUH433cf5Qv

If anyone has an idea, I'd be very grateful.

2 Replies

Spotify should ensure that they support the basic mechanisms to allow Tasker to work. I have spent way too much time trying to get a playlist to open or a podcast and I still haven't been able to get it to play automatically.

Come on Spotify! Just support the basics so this stuff works.

Hey there @phillchill4 and @jon48758

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That's why we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Suggested posts