Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast filter glitch

Podcast filter glitch

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Google Pixel 3a XL

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Playing podcasts on my laptop is fine - when I listen on my phone, they play in random order. I read a solution to this is to download them, which has helped with that issue.

My current issue now is when I try to filter podcasts by date, it works the first time and shows them earliest to latest, but when I try and download one, the screen will suddenly start flipping between displaying latest to earliest and back and forth, so I can't take any action on things until the episode I was downloading has finished downloading, at which point it seems to settle and go back to displaying earliest to latest normally.

I've tried reinstalling the app and clearing the storage, but it's still happening.

Has anyone else seen this or have any tips on fixes to try?

Thanks!

41 Replies

Precisely this. 

Ever since I updated the app I've had issues with the podcast's filters.

Before I begin, I am on the latest version on an android phone, with the premium family plan. Everytime I try to change the viewing order from the default (newest to oldest) to the opposite (oldest to newest) the app has issues and takes a while to load.

The second bit to this (and frankly the most anoying) is that when I start downloading an episode the order starts to switch dramatically making the app unusable. I can't select a diferent episode, downloading anything else doesn't fix, neither does anything else on the page. 

The only (short term) solution I've found is just going to the previous page and not touching the podcast list.

Any help on this issue would help me a lot.

Hi folks! 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

@dangw, just to confirm, have you followed these specific steps to reinstall the app? If so, could you log out > restart your phone > log back in? Also, could you let us know how much storage space does your device have available?

@To345, first up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. If this doesn't do the trick, would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone and check if the issue persists with a different account?

Additionally, would you mind sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your devices which you're having the issue on?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Ditto. The frustrating thing is I scroll hundred or so episodes, and just add I get to the episode I'm on, the order will take me back to the top.

Hey @j5l-8xv5_jwel

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

Could you confirm if you still observe this after you log out from all devices and then log back in? Occasionally this is necessary to force a sync of info between your device and our account system. 

If this persists after logging out, try running a clean reinstall of Spotify on your mobile device. This will clean up leftover data from previous installations that could be causing the issue. 

Keep us posted! We'll be here if you have any questions. 

I've been having a similar problem - I have a Premium Student account, and, while on my computer it seems fine, in the mobile app (Android), it's not allowing me to change the order of podcast episodes. It appears on the default (newest to oldest) but if I try to change it to oldest to newest it changes for a couple of seconds but then it automatically changes back (but without anything to do with downloading episodes, like the previous questions). I've tried logging out and then back in, but the problem remained.

Hey @meguisb,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

Could you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall to see if anything changes?

In case you're using an SD card, you can remove it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Sometimes the SD card can lead to issues with the cache.

If the issue persists, you can send us a video recording of what you're seeing. We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi! Thank you for answering.

I followed the steps, ran a clear reinstall, but the issue remains the same.

Hey again @meguisb

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Would you mind sending over a video where we can take a better look at what's happening?

You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This happens to me aswell and unfortunately a clean reinstall didn't resolve the issue.

Hi folks, 

Thanks for keeping us posted.

@k7ma, could you let us know when this issue started happening? We'd like to know if it started happening after a specific event such as an update. Also, would you mind trying on a different device to check if the issue persists there?

@meguisb, thanks for sending us this info. Would you mind checking if this also happens on a different device? Additionally, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone to check if the issue persists with a different account? 

Lastly, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I checked on my computer and it works fine there, it does not have this issue.

When someone else logged in on my phone, the same problem kept happening.

As for specifications, I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, with Android 7.0, and Spotify version 8.6.34.749

Hey @meguisb,

Thanks for the reply.

Since the issue occurs with another account as well, it is most likely connected to your phone.

Could you let us know if you're using an SD card?

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

No, I don't have a SD card.

Hi @meguisb

Thanks for letting us know that. 

Would you mind checking if the OS of your device has any pending updates?

Additionally, we suggest that you log out > close the app completely and then log back in > repeat this process twice. We know this sounds odd, but it's how the app forces a cache refresh.

Lastly, would you mind letting us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update?

Keep us posted. 

EniModerator

Thanks for continuing to work on the problem.

I don't have any pending OS updates available.

I logged out, closed the app and logged back in, twice, and then tried again, but the error still happened

I'm not sure of the exact date it started happening, only that it was months ago. Yes, it might have been after an automatic update, but I can't say the specific one, and the app's been updated since as well.

Hey @meguisb

Thanks for getting back to us with this info. 

If possible, could you give it a try using a different mobile device to see if you notice the same behavior?

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi

I tried it on a different mobile device. Both with my account and with another account, the same issue happened.

Hey @meguisb

Thanks for letting us know that. 

Would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version of your phone? Additionally, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of the other phone you tried with?

Also, would you mind letting us know how much storage space does your device have available?

We'll be waiting for your reply. 

EniModerator

Suggested posts