Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Push Notification Spam

Push Notification Spam

I have gone into Spotify's options and disabled EVERY possible notification tick box. I don't care about album releases, I don't care about playlists, nothing.

Earlier in the week and just now today I had a push notification from Spotify informing me about your current special premium rate. I don't care, I have no intentions of EVER giving Spotify money. But there's no option to disable spam on your app so it looks like I'll have to uninstall it instead. Is there a way to disable this or do you play on not doing this anymore?

14 Replies

Hi there and welcome to the community,

Have you disabled notifications within Android?

Go to Settings - Apps - then select Spotify from the list.. Then uncheck the 'Show Notifications' checkbox.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

There is no checkbox or option for it.

Settings > Applications > Downloaded > Spotify > Nothing. The only options I have are storage related. Force Stop, Uninstall, Clear Data, (greyed out) Move to SD Card, Clear Cache, (greyed out) Clear Defaults. No option to block notifications.

I will push this one to @Daniel , he is our Android expert. I don't own an android 🙂

Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Hi. Are you sure it's not there? Should be a checkbox right at the top underneath Force Stop.

Can you take a screenshot of the page or give some more details about your device if this option is not available.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

This is still haooening a year later. Like op, im on paid with puah notifications off. Unacceptable.

I shouldn't need to dig through advanced settings to turn off spam from a premium service, the whole point of paying is to remove the spam. Actively seeking a recommendation on an alternative service.

I've started getting these too. I object to the suggest from support that I disable notifications, as though it's down to me to stop receiving them not to Spotify to stop seding them.

I've opted out of marketing, that doesn't mean you can find a back door to this and spam me that way.

On Android, you can disable all notifications for a specific app.  I have Android 5.1, and here's how I do it on my phone.

Go to Settings ==> Sound & Notification ==> Apps ==> Spotify.

Note: This is different than where everyone else in this thread is saying to go.

There should be a option to select "None - Show no notifications from this app."  This should solve the problem.

While that WILL disable ALL notifications from Spotify it shouldn't have to be done. I should be able to go into the application and turn off notifications and NEVER GET ANOTHER, ESPECIALLY an advertisement!

It really is disappointing to pay good money for Premium for a so-called ad free experience and then to get Android advert notifications from Spotify itself.

#pushnotification

Yeah this is pretty bad - I am also getting notification spam even though I have turned off all the notifications from inside the app. I should not be forced to manually work around Spotify app in order to have a spam-free experience.

+1

Disabling notifications through Android disables the player controls in the notifications drawer, which I still want. Getting push notifications (ie advertisements) from Spotify about family plans while I'm paying Spotify for an ad free experience is frustrating. Please stop abusing your paying customer base or we'll just switch to Apple Music.

Cearly given how long this has been happening without response from spotify this is not the right venue. I would suggest taking a more modern approach to getting attention and resolution:

• Post on social media your dissatisfaction, tweets seem to be particularly impactful
  • Post reviews on the play store
  • Submit reports via the play store to google that this developer is uing the notification bar for advertising, which is a no-no
  • Vote with your wallet

^^^^^
/me seconds all.. that.. above, up there uh.. in the original post?

silly marketeers. don't force those who absolutely can not and will not allow their time robbed of them in this way - the enlightened man's 'time' is his most precious, most absolute benefaction endowed to him; assured merely by virtue of his own existence 😄

so step OFF with yo ADs and jank be cheatin me n' mine outta dat TIME y'all - nome'sayn see'im'sayn kno'wha'mean?

otherwise, you're losing potential access to a small but socially influencial chunk of well-money'd hustlas. 

with or without the ads - there's always going to be a (large) portion of peeps who'll never pay, and always too there'll be a (small but lucritive) band of wallets who are always going to pay. it's Spot's job to tip these scales and create proper incentives for payment WITHOUT punishing those who cannot or will not pay.

Suggested posts