Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Push Notifications Not Working

Solved!

Push Notifications Not Working

Hi,

I just did a fresh installation of Spotify App (2.7.0.883) for Android in a Samsung Galaxy S6 running Android Lollipop 5.0.2 and I could notice that Push notifications are not working. When I try to change the settings in Spotify App, it shows a message saying "Sorry, We could not save your settings. Please try again latter".

As a consequence of this, I'm not receiving any notification of people following my playlists or people adding new tracks to their playlists.

Do you know how this issue can be solved?

Samsung Galaxy S6

Android Lollipop 5.0.2

Spotify App 2.7.0.883

Thanks,

Julio

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Following up on this post.

The issue has been fixed. I'm now receiving notifications.

For some reason, having enable the option "Disable all notifications" allow the notifications to show. (Here is a screen shot of the settings on my phone).

Screenshot_2015-05-25-08-28-35.png

This might be a bug in Spotify service because when I go to Spotify website to check my settings, I can see that option "Disable all Notifications" is not enable. (See screenshot below).

Screenshot_2015-05-25.png

But if I disable the option "Disable all notifications" in my phone it gets enabled in the website. I have tested this a couple of times by loging off from the app in my phone to check if it synch with the web site but the result is the same.

I'm not sure if this might be a workarround for all those who have a similar problem with the notifications, but it worked for me.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Sounds like a buggy version for the androids... You may want to revert to a previous version and disable automatic updates.
Keep the party going! Please accept solutions if they helped with your question! I am not an official spotify representative, just another user trying to help out. 🙂

Re-Installing the app from Google Play did the trick. The options to enable/disable push notifications are now available.

I will check if the notifications are really working or not.

Sweet!
Keep the party going! Please accept solutions if they helped with your question! I am not an official spotify representative, just another user trying to help out. 🙂

Well, settings to enable/disable notifications is now showing in the app but the notifications are still not working.

I will have to try what you suggested. Do you have the link to download the apk of the previous version of the app?

Have you got *all* the notifications enabled in the app? Because I've noticed that, buried about third in the list is a 'notification' called 'Disable All Notifications' - if you have that selected, it seems to override all your other notifications and switch them all off.

It's utterly confusing, I don't know why there can't just be a 'Notifications On/Off' slider in the main settings page?!

Hi voice_of_reason,

I checked what you suggested, just to be sure, and the setting you mentioned (Disable all notifications) is not selected. Also, I have checked in Android settings that it is allowing Spotify to show all push notifications and it is. Not sure what might be happening.

Any other suggestion you might have?

Regards,

Julio Figueroa,

No, can't think of anything else. I don't have 'Disable All Notifications' selected either, and I haven't received any notifications since the last couple of updates. But then I'm not subscribed to any playlists or connected to Facebook, so I don't get that many usually anyway. I can't figure out whether the artists I'm following just haven't released anything recently, or notifications are broken.

I strongly suspect notifications are broken for me too!!

I got one notification the other day that one of my artists just released an album on spotify... I think that it is that the artists just aren't releasing stuff on spotify. Julio, are you linked to facebook/subscribed to any playlists?

My account is linked to Facebook and I'm following a couple of playlists that are updated on a regular basis so I Spotify app should be showing notifications at least once a week for me but it is not.

Could it be an issue related to my account?

Doubt it, more likely they're broken - or at least broken for your particular device (like they appear to be on mine). They NEVER worked for me until a few months ago, then they suddently started working - and now they've stopped again. I'm on a Galaxy Note 3 with KitKat 4.4.2, if it's any help.

Marked as solution

Following up on this post.

The issue has been fixed. I'm now receiving notifications.

For some reason, having enable the option "Disable all notifications" allow the notifications to show. (Here is a screen shot of the settings on my phone).

Screenshot_2015-05-25-08-28-35.png

This might be a bug in Spotify service because when I go to Spotify website to check my settings, I can see that option "Disable all Notifications" is not enable. (See screenshot below).

Screenshot_2015-05-25.png

But if I disable the option "Disable all notifications" in my phone it gets enabled in the website. I have tested this a couple of times by loging off from the app in my phone to check if it synch with the web site but the result is the same.

I'm not sure if this might be a workarround for all those who have a similar problem with the notifications, but it worked for me.

This is a good point. I hadn't even realised you could change your notification settings by logging in on the website! I checked mine via the website, and 'Disable All Notifications' is selected. If I deselect it and save, it just defaults back on again after the page refreshes once it's saved. You can't switch it off. It's totally messed up.

@Julio_Adolfo - are you saying that if I enable 'Disable All Notifications' on the app, then check my notification settings from the website, the website will then show 'Disable All Notifications' deselected, and notifications will start working?!

@voice_of_reason

If you have the option "Disable all notifications" disable in your phone, you will see that this option will be checked/selected in the website.

If you have enable the option "Disable all notifications" in your phone, notifications settings in the website will show the option "Disable all notifications" unchecked/deselected. Just like I show it in the screenshots I attached in a previous reply.

Having the option "Disable all notifications" enable in my phone solved the problem and now I'm receiving notifications in my phone (not in my email, yet).

Great, thanks. I'll give that a try. So basically the switch to 'Disable All Notifications' on the app is working the wrong way round. But strange that you can't just set it to whatever you want when logged in on the website. Weird that the setting on the app seems to be driving the functionality, and the 'Notifications On/Off' switch on the website basically does nothing?

That's right!

No matter how many times you change the option "Disable all notifications" in the website, as soon as you click on save the option will return to its previous state but, if you change it in the app, it will change the state in the website (app: Enable = web: Disable....app: Disable = web: Enable).

As you mentioned, the option in the app is working the other way arround and you should have the option "Disable all notifications" enable in your phone to receive notifications and by doing this, this same option will be disable in the website. So weird and a little bit confusing, I know!

The problem is, they'll eventually fix it so the option in the app works the right way round, and then notifications will stop working again. Smiley Wink

If you go to your phone and click "disable all notifications" you will start receiving some, but not all, notifications for artists and playlists you follow, etc. if you unclick "disable all notifications" on your phone you are totally screwed. in either case, Spotify notifications are broken and it seems like they don't care at all since these issues have been around for at least two years.

Suggested posts