Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Reinstalled, now app crashes on startup.

Solved!

Reinstalled, now app crashes on startup.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Android LG K7

Operating System

Android Lollipop

My Question or Issue

I was just looking to fix a small bug and one solution said to reinstall the app, so I did just that. I was only able to log in to the app again, now it loads just the main 3 buttons + the settings gear, then crashes. I've been sticking by Spotify and staying premium for supporting the artists, but every new bug and glitch makes it harder and more frustrating to use the app, and now I can't even use it at all. 😞

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Clearing data when installed and removing devices didn't change much. I even went to manually deleting folders from file storage with no results. I did however successfully roll back to an older version of the app from the uptodown list linked somewhere else in the forum https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/versions ❤️ Last working one for me was a bit back at 8.5.16.192

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @informalnarwhal,

Thanks for reeaching out! That's not coll but we'll do our best to make sure you can use your app asap 🙂 

Let's do a clean reinstall first. Before that, disconnect all devices from your account here. 

Then follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings on your phone.
  2. Select "Apps".
  3. Tap "Spotify" in the app list.
  4. Tap on "Storage> Clear Data" for a clean reinstallation.
  5. Tap Uninstall.
  6. Open Google Play and install the Spotify Music app.

There is something else you could do if that does not help. Go to:

• Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
  • Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.
  • Last step - restart the phone.

Let us know if it works again 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Marked as solution

Clearing data when installed and removing devices didn't change much. I even went to manually deleting folders from file storage with no results. I did however successfully roll back to an older version of the app from the uptodown list linked somewhere else in the forum https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/versions ❤️ Last working one for me was a bit back at 8.5.16.192

Tried to reinstall to fix the annoying problem of move the downloaded files to the internal memory and, now, it just starts on a black screen and keeps there. Already tried to remove the app, delete all spotify folders on sdcard, enabling storage access and then, start app... same thing! It's just a black screen. Almost giving up of spotify.

Hey @PerryWerneck,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

If you're using an SD card with your phone, you might need to format it and then reinstall Spotify. Also, make sure it's not formatted as "Internal" memory since formatting an SD Card to be used as Internal memory (called "Adoptable Storage") creates issues with the Spotify cache and downloads. If that doesn't fix things, could you try installing the app with the SD card removed from your phone?

As for the download location switching to the internal memory of your device, we have this Ongoing Issue. You can +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll keep you updated on any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this is useful, but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I solved using the PC to remove all spotify related folders on SD card; after that I was able to start spotify. Still keeping the download to sdcard disabled because of the issue with restarts.

Hey @PerryWerneck,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

Glad to hear that erasing all the Spotify files from your SD card using your PC did the trick and you could start fresh with Spotify 🙂

Hopefully it keeps working smoothly and you can try having the downloaded songs on the SD card little by little to test things out.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts