Free

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy A71 5G

Operating System

Android 11

Hello!

As of a few days ago, the buttons for Spotify on my lock screen are grayed out. I can pause/play, but I cannot rewind or fast forward.

I've already tried:

• Clear cache / storage
  • Log out and back in
  • Full reinstall

Now, the reinstall did work - BRIEFLY. The next time I opened Spotify after the clean reinstall, it went back to having the same problem. Reinstalling Spotify every time I wish to use it is bonkers, so any permanent solutions would be wonderful.

I've attached a screenshot of my lock screen. Please also note the widget is not able to identify what I'm listening to anymore. The podcast name says "unknown"  no matter what I play. This might be related to my problem.

Thank you for the help! Sorry if this is the wrong forum (._. )

Lex

PS, this posting system on mobile is impossible. After attempting to submit, then fixing the highlighted errors, it wouldn't let me post for 5 minutes thinking I had already submitted a new topic.

Screenshot_20210929-080714_Spotify.jpg
61 Replies

@kmandersen10 That's about what I figured too. Everyone in here uses a Samsung, friends with iPhones are fine.

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info you've shared with us.

There's a newer version of the Android app available (8.6.68). Could you make sure to update the app and let us know if the issue persists with that version?

We'll be looking out for your replies.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

No change with the update 😕

Same here - no change sadly

Hi @Vidimus and @kmandersen10,

Thanks for confirming.

To have this reported, could you let us know if this happens with any podcast or just one(s) in particular?

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

All podcasts.

Hey @Vidimus,

Thanks for the info 🙂

Could you check if all permissions are enabled for Spotify?

In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

No change with the permissions altered. And my power saving mode was already off.

Test...

Same problem. Same device. Same steps. No change.

Galaxy S10+

Uninstall

Updated

Clear cache

Log out

Permissions

Blah blah etc etc

No change. Following.

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the troubleshooting steps you've tried and all the info you've shared with us.

It looks like it's indeed isolated to some Samsung devices. We've gone ahead and reported it to the right folks. However, keep in mind that it might be related to the custom Android ROM that is utilized by Samsung, so there might not be a lot that can be done from our end, but rest assured, we'll keep everyone posted here as soon as there are any news.

In the meantime, make sure to keep the app always updated.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Thank you for the update!

Hi,

This happened to me after the last Spotify update (suggesting a bug in that last update).

Two issues only on Podcasts:

1. Skipping on lock screen grayed out (same as other screen-grabs posted)

2. Name of the podcast = unknown but name of the episode shown (same as other screen-grabs posted)

The function in itself is working as I can skip:

- with my earphones by clicking on them,

- via the phone screen on the app itself open,

- via the phone screen if I'm on another app and use the drop down menu by sliding finger in a downward motion instead of going back in the Spotify app.

However, the UI on the lock screen isn't allowing skipping or showing the podcast name.

I have done the following:

1. Reset app preferences --> no changes.

2. Clear cache and data on Spotify app --> no changes.

3. Full clean reinstall --> no changes.

Details:

Samsung M31

Android up to date as of 17 October 2021 with:

- M315FXXU2BUH8 / M315FOXM2BUH8 / M315FDDU2BUH1

- Security patch level: Sep 1, 2021

No SD card

Spotify version: 8.6.70.1102

User location: France

I hope this can help you locate the problem in your last update and create a patch to fix this.

Thank you for your help!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your reports and for all the cooperation so far.

A new app update was rolled out recently, which introduce a couple of fixes and improvements. We'd like to ask everyone still experiencing the issue, to run one more clean reinstall, just to make sure that they're running the latest version available.

Let us know if the issue persists. Either way, we'd appreciate it if you include the exact Spotify version you see at your end. 

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your replies. 

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Like Orang1 said, my UI on the lock screen also tells me the podcast name is "unknown." This issue popped up at the same time as the grayed out buttons.

I currently have the latest version (8.6.70.1120). I did a clean reinstall anyway, but the problem is the same: first time opening Spotify after the install, the buttons are usable. Opening the app after that first use results in the buttons graying out again.

Hi there. Same problem here - not possible to skip 15 seconds in lock screen on all podcasts (which was possible before the update). Spotify premium on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, Spotify Version 8.6.70.1102

If nothing can be done, could you at least enable older version .apk of Spotify app for download so that we can use full functionality until the problem is resolved. Thank you. 

250 million Samsung smart phones sold in 2020 and the two developers can trade a few emails is unfortunate.

I wish I had the knowledge, experience or the time to learn how to roll back the version of Spotify to one of the versions a few years ago that worked beautifully.

My galaxy s10+ has very few apps installed. Never rooted. No funny stuff. Virtually the only app that runs daily is Spotify.

I have to force close the app and clear the cache at minimum 4 times a day with about 6 times being the average.

I am lucky if it will even remember the last podcast or track I was listening to.

Update to all. Yesterday, I finally was fed up with the performance of the App on my Galaxy S10+.

So, for possibly the 6th time I deleted the app. First I force stopped. Cleared the cache and uninstalled.

I also cleared the system memory using  "device maintenance" app.

I then turned off the phone for a few hours while I used an old Galaxy S7, wifi and a perfectly working Spotify version.

Just this morning. I reinstalled the Spotify App from the play store. 

The lock screen forward and rewind (15 sec increment) has now returned and functions when listening to podcasts.

I will report back after I am able to evaluate the app performance and reliability over an extended period of time.

Spotify app version 8.6.72.1121

Android 11

One UI 3.1

Screenshot_20211024-105420_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20211024-105308_Settings.jpg

We all can get the buttons to work after a full reinstall, but only once. They'll work when you use the app only the first time you open it. If it's closed and reopened, the buttons go back to not working.

So yes, please let us know how it goes in the longterm. Good luck!

• Test message...

Suggested posts