Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SPOTIFY IS SLOW!!!!

SPOTIFY IS SLOW!!!!

I have been a paid Spotify user for a long time now but I am considering canceling my account because it has been so slow recently. Seems to take several minutes to load my playlists, takes several minutes for a song to start playing, etc. I have done everything I can think of to troubleshoot. I have even hard reset my phone and reinstalled Spotify. Anyone else having these issues?

133 Replies

This is pretty sad that u need to change to rdio to listen music. I tried to do all the steps mentioned above.. Removinhg caches, datas, manually deleting rest of the **bleep**, uninstalling the app and installibg again after total reboot. Worked fine for the first 10 mins.

Hate to say, but it's gotta be an issue with SD cards somewhere, I could
never get it to work. I've since switched carriers and decided to try an
iPhone 6 plus. Really enjoying it but I've not run into any issues with my
Spotify with only internal memory on this phone. Everything runs smooth as
butter all the time pretty much. My wife also has no issues with her
Galaxy S6 and all internal memory, something is up with the app and SD cards

Fvamp, yeh it's a shame but if a service you pay £120 a year for doesn't work to your satisfaction then why put up with it. In fairness to spotty face at least you can cancel anytime.

Fyi, rdio also had probs with sdcards after lollipop but they have a manual way to fix. When you log into the app it allows you to set a custom path, if you kno ur devices long path to the sd u just type it in and then login. I now have rdio downloading music to my sd card, conclusion it isn't corrupt, it's spotify not giving adequate fixes or investing effort finding workable solutions. I'll say it again, don't waste your cash, invest it in a service concerned about users, rdio has its issues as I said in another post but it's fair better as a music stream than spotty.
Vote for these... go on... you never know someone may be using the Kudos somewhere 🙂

Add a Queue Button Next to the Play Button
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Queue-Button-Next-to-the-Play-Button/idi-p/751477

Virgin Media Tivo Update
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/virgin-media-TiVo-app-out-of-date-and-not-meeting-potential/m-p/765453#M10930

Album Art – Tap for Menu
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Bring-back-Touch-on-album-art-opens-the-menu-iOS/idc-p/766255#M47620

You. Are. Awesome!

Yes. Something's changed for sure. Long time subscriber, using the app on Android exclusively. Totally frustrated with app loading time, search loading time and general unresponsiveness. Might switch to GP at this rate...

If you have a crappy SD Card (or one that is failing) you will get this problem i.e. Spotify being worse than usual.

Either delete the local files and/or uninstsall Spotify or get a new (better) SD Card.

Did all of that, well I did back when I had a phone with an SD card. My
card worked perfect for everything else, no issues with it, so again, its
an issue with Spotify and how it caches the data. No other program was a
problem, no issues transferring data, saving and loading pictures, etc.
Not a bad card. Since I've gotten a phone without an SD card, there have
been no issues with Spotify at all

My old phone (S3) had issues whether I had an SD card in or not. My new phone (OPO) has no such issues.

Many people say the micro SD is the issue... so did anyone try a fast microsd (say 60MB/s read-40MB/S write or faster) to see if the card speed is the problem? I want to check before buying a new card to speed up Spotify in my LG G3. My current specs are: -OS Info: stock Android 4.4.2 -Spotify version: 3.4.0.764 -External SD Card: 64GB Kingston Class 10 read 34MB/s write 14MB/s

That probably won't make much difference. 3.4 Megs a second is plenty to
stream pretty low size files from an SD card

Spotify told me it was down to the SD card, but I found a phone upgrade improved matters. I think it's just an unnecessarily resource intensive app and needs some serious improvements under the hood.

I don't think it has something to do with SD.

At home we have a Motorola Moto G 2 + SD Card Samsung 32Gb (48MB/s top) and an Iphone 4s 32gb. In the Iphone it is a nightmare, it runs very slow and sometimes it just don't work. In the Motorola runs sometimes smooth, sometimes not.

The one with the Iphone 6s has a very High-Class Smartphone, and of course Spotify runs well... But ey, as lot of peolple said, check the code and give us a better app! And this goes also to Windows and Linux apps. Sometimes it just don't show you your albums.

I found that the app became snappy for a few days after a clean install but would go back to being just as buggy and sluggish as it used to be within two days of clean installing. I then tried the whole nuplayer thing and it worked...for a few days. I decided to try moving the app to the SD card. It seems to be working again. I will update in a few days if things are better.

I moved it to the SD card by going to Settings -> Apps -> Downloaded -> Spotify -> Move to SD card. The move took about 3-4 minutes for me. Your mileage may vary based on your phone and SD card specs.

Spotify: get your freaking act together. You have competition now. This is not the time to sit and do nothing while your customers complain. I am quite tired of features missing for years (even with features with massive amounts of requests) or bugs that go unsolved until you recode the app from top to bottom (where different bugs are introduced). If you take a look you have several people bragging on your own forums how the competition is better - without a change or even a peep from an actual representative in almost two years. I counted 3 or 4 people who were brass enough to tell how they moved to GPM and loved it. Free advertisement for Google on your website. Great job guys. A+

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. My Spotify app is really slow when having downloaded playlists to my micro sd card. My Spotify app also re-downloads songs that are already available offline for no reason. I've tried everything, I've contacted the Spotify customer service multiple times and they also do not know how to help me. 

I've noticed however that my phone seems to think that all the data is placed on my internal memory, while it is placed on my micro sd card instead. The com.spotify.music folder on my internal memory is only 32 bytes large, while the com.spotify.music folder on my micro sd card is 1.5GB large. When I go into settings of my phone itself --> Apps --> Spotify  I see the following: this info screen shows that there is no data on the sd card and that all my downloaded songs ('gegevens' in this case) are placed in the internal memory, whereas this is not the case in reality.

Could you guys check this screen on your phone too and report your findings here? Maybe this is the problem of our horrible expience with the Spotify  Android app?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_2015-11-16-17-47-48.png

After moving the app to the SD card things are still much better. Dunno why. My girlfriend uses Spotify on the same model of phone (LG G3) and she has never had a problem. Granted she doesn't download anything. Maybe that is the difference.

I have noticed when the app - both on the SD or off of it - is downloading tracks it slows down to a crawl and can't even complete a search without timing out with a cute 'Oops something went wrong'. Duh something went wrong. Your servers or throttling have really made downloading tracks almost not worth it. It takes hours to download 2000 songs on a (frequently tested) 150 Mbps network. I can download at least 15 big games from Steam in the time that it takes Spotify to download 2000 songs only mastered at 320 kbps. And the funny thing is? I still can't search while the download crawls.

If it weren't for the family plan I would jump ship. But currently I don't want to blow a ton of money for my family to use a music streaming service. Spotify please actually listen to your customers. For once. It would be awesome.

I can confirm that moving the app to SD card helps, although it still loads forever sometimes. For the data usage on SD card or internal storage, my Android version doesn't differenciate between them, all I know is that I have 8GB (I downloaded roughly 1500 songs) of data by the spotify app. Also it is long confirmed that more downloaded songs mean a slower Spotify app. Spotify doesn't seem to care or maybe their strategy is to out-wait the era of SD cards. Maybe we'll never find out...

Really thinking about Apple music, besides creating new playlists, it might be worth it, it's out now on android and you get 6 accounts for the same price as 2 on Spotify. I'm on an iPhone now but I have a mix in my family that can now all use Apple Music and thats a good deal for a family plan 😊

I've found that spotify is almost unusable to use when playback is set to "online". I'm only listening to saved offline playlists anyway, but when playback is set to "online", even loading the menu can take ages or fail altogether. Same thing with the menu for queuing songs.

Setting playback to offline is a **bleep**ty workaround for now, but kinda sucks since I'd like to scrobble.

I have bought a Samsung ProPlus UHS-1 U3 card and the experience is much faster. I downloaded like 1500 songs in high quality and yet to experience a slow performance. My previous card was a PNY Class 10 and it was very slow. I'm hoping that the card speed is what is making the difference. At least it has been like that for 2 days now.

I have a Oneplus which doesn't even have an SD slot, so it can't be card speed.

Suggested posts