Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sharp buzzing noise during playback

Sharp buzzing noise during playback

I have multiple spotfiy playlists downloaded and this happens on each of them. There is a very sharp, short buzz noise that happens frequently during playback. I tried finding a youtube video or something to show what it sounds like, but I cant come up with anything. The closest thing I can think of is the sound that a live stereo 3.5mm wire sounds like  when you touch the metal withn nothing plugged in. I am not sure if its maybe an issue with the downloaded playlists where the quality got messed up, or an issue with maybe the phone itself

25 Replies

Have you tried loading in local music files manually onto the external memory card and playing them with the stock media player on the phone to see if it is sound hardware related issue?

Hi,

While this is possibily a hardware issue, the first step you should take is a clean reinstall: follow the steps found here.

Pulled up some music on youtube, song played fine with no buzz. Thinking its Spotify. Will try clean install

I did a clean install and redownloaded the playlsit and am having the same issue

Edit: Also have tried different playlists (with songs I know have not had this issue) they are having the same sharp buzz. 

Have exactly the same issue.

Only on spotify it is sharp buzzing during playback (intermittent).

Sony Xperia Z android 4.4.4.

@Ian0374 wrote:

Have exactly the same issue.

Only on spotify it is sharp buzzing during playback (intermittent).

Sony Xperia Z android 4.4.4.

Please read the guide linked below for details on getting a completely clean install of the Spotify app. This should be the first step and can help resolve issues such as:

- Black screen on startup
- Offline data not storing on SD card
- Random crashes or FC's
- Track degradation or skipping
- Playlists and tracks no longer available

[GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Clean install still hasnt worked for me. I just kind of live with the problem, it happens less frequency over bluetooth than it does with an aux cable.

I have the same issue. Kit Kat 4.4.4 Nexus 5 here. It happens when I stream using Spotify app, both Wi-Fi and 4G.

Tried clean install, and switching quality settings with no luck. Has anyone found a solution?

@29ways wrote:

I have the same issue. Kit Kat 4.4.4 Nexus 5 here. It happens when I stream using Spotify app, both Wi-Fi and 4G.

Tried clean install, and switching quality settings with no luck. Has anyone found a solution?

Which clean install? Can you try my guide?

Please read the guide linked below for details on getting a completely clean install of the Spotify app. This should be the first step and can help resolve issues such as:

- Black screen on startup
- Offline data not storing on SD card
- Random crashes or FC's
- Track degradation or skipping
- Playlists and tracks no longer available

[GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks Daniel. I'm trying your method now. Will report back soon.

Edit: I've spent the last few days formatting my phone, re-installing spotify and even rooted my phone, but no luck. Still has a loud buzz while playing music, no matter the setting.

Yup, sounds like my original issue. I never did have a definite solution, as I tried all the methods here. It was a pain driving to work with my phone plugged into the Aux and hearing the buzz. I found out that it doesnt really pickup as much on bluetooth, so I resorted to buying a bluetooth receiver for my car for around $30 (as it didnt originally have bluetooth.) 

Are you on a custom ROM by chance?

@29ways wrote:

Thanks Daniel. I'm trying your method now. Will report back soon.

Edit: I've spent the last few days formatting my phone, re-installing spotify and even rooted my phone, but no luck. Still has a loud buzz while playing music, no matter the setting.

I was running everything stocked. I eventually rooted but never installed a ROM and still had a prob. Since upgrading to Lollipop, I haven't really had that buzzing problem. 

This happends to me all the time. I was searching for a cause when I found this. Multiple comuters and devices. Premium account, etc. Downloaded music or not. My best guess is that this is something they inject so they can tell if something is being copied/recorded or at least as a discouragement to do so. Love to get a confirmation that this is the reason. Would not mind if it is, but would like official accnologement. 

For what it's worth, I was having this same problem with Spotify on my laptop, a new Dell XPS 13. The buzzing noise also occurred in other media streaming services as well. My problem was a bad update to the Dell Support software (see http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19462013). After uninstalling the Dell Support Assist and Dell Support Agent software, the problem cleared right up.

This is good information that may help someone. The buzzing I am talking
about happens on all my devices. 3 computers: 2 Macs, one Windows, a
android tablet, iPhone, ... well I have a Roku box, but have not tested
that so I can't really say ALL my devices.

Tried Spotify for the first time today, using web application on my Macbook Pro. Intermittent buzzing is a dealbreaker for me. No oddball hardware; never had this problem with other streaming services. No solution has been offered on this threat. Interesting business model.

Well I found the embarassing answer to my issue. It was the song I was listening to. It was actualy a part of the song. 

Suggested posts