Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle badge next to Play button always toggled on

Shuffle badge next to Play button always toggled on

Lately the horrendous Spotify application on android plays all albums and playlists in shuffle mode by default (which should even be illegal). I never ever listen to any album on random, it doesn't make any sense. But someone on Spotify decided to change the themes order on all albums ever made. Maybe it's a joke but it's taking too long to end.  I know that I can always disable it after starting to play the first music, but I want the inverse, I want to disable that annoying thing from default. I already checked the settings but I didn't figure out how to fix this stupidity.

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Sony Xperia 5 II

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

Shuffle should be on by default when you open the app, but this can be changed per playlist. So once you turn off the shuffle option for one playlist, that setting should be saved for that playlist next time. 
We'd like to ask you to confirm if this is the behaviour you're experiencing right now.

Verify if shuffle goes gets auto-turned back on when:

• you search for another artist/playlist/song that you haven't searched before
  • you remove your cached data/reinstall your app
  • you listen to anything you've had previously searched for and then come back and check the shuffle status

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks 🙂

67 Replies

Hi again @Domanas.

Thanks for sending these details.

Does this happen in the Now Playing view or when you open a playlist? Do you mind sharing a short screen recording which shows how things look on your end?

If possible, try logging in on another mobile device (a friend's or a relative's will do) to see if the issue is present there as well.

We'll be on the lookout.

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10+

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Every time I start up spotify and select an album, playlist, or an artist it will start in shuffle. Even if I turned it off before every new album, playlist or aritst will start in shuffle again. I haven't found anyway to turn this off.

i'm probably late to this thread, but i have the same problem. I do NOT use any spotify songs as my alarm clock, but clicking on a new playlist (be one done by me or idk an actual album) will activate the stupid shuffle thingy.. ngl, i am genuinelly mad at this issue since i already fully reinstalled the app, i checked my alarms, and it keeps acting up. 
edit: bahhh i was angry when i typed this out. sorry for that attitude LOL

Hi @AgitoCadet,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you confirm that you're using Google Clock? If yes, try uninstalling it / disabling it temporary to see if that does the trick.

In case you don't use the Google Clock app, please send us a screen recording which shows the described behavior in action so we can get a clear idea of what's happening on your end.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

YordanModerator

Hey @Meneerpoes,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out!

We'd like to take a closer look into this. Could you let us know the following:

• The version of your Spotify app.
  • The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

It'd be much appreciated if you could also sent us a short screen recording which shows this behavior in action, so we can get a clear understanding of what things look like on your end.

Keep us posted on this.

Cheers!

YordanModerator

yo thanks for replying so soon!
and nope i dont use google clock, and even checked on the app store - 100% NOT installed on my phone. i checked the normal alarm clock on my phone and no song from spotify is used.

because the video is over 5MB i can't attach it to this comment, i hope you accept this youtube link instead. 
on the video i'm attaching, first i show the shuffle is off - turn it on for a sec, and off again. then i click on the Study Playlist, since i listen to that very often, and it doesn't turn on. but then i select a "new" playlist, or in this case one that's been ignored for a while, the 10/03, and the shuffle is on again. 
i don't know what causes this, or even how to fix. it only happens on my android phone, my laptop (windows) works normally. 

Hi Yordan,

I'm currently running version 8.7.14.1332 on an (Android device with Spotify premium just to be clear)

Even if I turned shuffle off before it still turns back on whenever I listen to an artist/playlist (not an album my apology) that is 'new' for the search result. If I completely delete the apps memory and start it again it will also see the 

'old' search results as new (same for playlists). 

I added a video as well with me searching 'new' artist I haven't searched up yet before. You can see that it automatically turns shuffle on by itself even if I turned it off before.

Things I tried:

- Deleting apps memory

- Updating

- Clearing cache

- Just turning off shuffle

If you need more video examples please let me know!

-Dean

bump so i don't get forgotten

Hey  @AgitoCadet,

Thank you for keeping in contact. 

In this case, we'd recommend contacting our Customer Support team here, who will be able to provide you with a test account to check how the app behaves with it. This will be helpful to identify if it's an account related issue.

If so, the Customer Support team will be able to assist you further by helping transfer your data to a new account. Also, feel free to link to our thread for our recommendation to catch the support team member up to speed.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you. 

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey there @Meneerpoes

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

We can confirm that the behavior you mentioned is currently being tested. We’re always testing possible improvements and new features, so you might see something on the app that other users don't, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Not too late! I thought my problems were solved, but I still have annoying randomizing in podcast feeds without the option to turn this feature off. The button is visible in musical playlists but not in podcasts (which randomizes by default the episodes in series)

Regards

Stian Schjelderup, Oslo

Why don't you just fix the bug, please, now!

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Google Pixel 5

Operating System

Android 12

(Kernel 4.19.220-g4a2607757eb7-ab8084021)

My Question or Issue

The shuffle button comes on by default when I restart the app or play a song from a new playlist. So no matter how many times I turn it off, it switches back on.

Hello and thanks for reaching out 💚

It is true, the shuffle feature is set to automatic on most playlists except those like Daily Mixes/Albums/Genre Mixes.

As of now, the only solution would be to play the first song then turn off shuffle in the playback controls area.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Alternatively, you can put this up in the ideas board to make sure turning shuffle on/off will make it stay that way until changed🏂

Thanks

TaylithSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same on both my iPhone and desktop. It doesn't matter I turn it off. it still keeps playing random music after an album is finished. Very annoying

Hi @jojoed,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

Would you mind sending us a screen recording of the behavior you're describing (Shuffle turning back on)? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor or upload it to a different platform and send us the link to it.

Changing tunes, keep in mind that similar songs will be played if you have the option "Autoplay" on. You can check more info here

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator

This is a horrible idea. I don't use shuffle ever and now I'm forced to it! Can you give any explanation why did you do this? Why do you think all users should be forced to listen their lists in shuffle? Right, I can't think of a reason either. 

All the time unnecessary changes to UI and now this idiocy. 

I will switch to other streaming service for me and my family if this is not changed back to normal. Already big issues everywhere and now this. 

This is so annoying! I don't use shuffle 'cos I don't like it at all! Not fun. 

Why did you do this? Really annoyed about this shuffle as defoult feature. Please fix it back. For me this might be the last straw to give up whit you. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for hanging around.

We've received reports that the issue with Shuffle being switched on by default when you click on a playlist should now be fixed 🙂

Note that you should now see the Shuffle icon next to the Play icon. If the Shuffle icon is green that means Shuffle is active on this playlist, so you can switch it off.

Please update your app to the latest available version and let us know if you're still experiencing this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts