Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sound bottoms out on Android

Sound bottoms out on Android

With some recent update of Spotify there is now a problem with the sound both on by Nexus 7 tablet running Jellybean and my Samsung Galaxy SII.

I don't lose the sound, but at random point while playing songs -- sometimes in the middle of the first song sometimes not until a dozen songs in -- the sound will bottom out. Not drop out or disappear. The rich bottom will snap out and the volume will drop slightly but noticeably.

It happens with signal and without signal. On 4G and on personal home cable modem wi-fi. When Android goes to sleep and when it is not asleep. There is no rhyme or reason to when it happens that I have been able to discover.

I see not many questions get answered here, but I'll try. I'm a paying customer and I hope to get some service. It really diminishes the Spotify experience.

10 Replies

Hey!

Welcome to the community 🙂 

I don't have an android device so I can't check, but in the settings menu is there an option for setting the volume level the same for all tracks? If so you could try disabling that and see if it helps.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks, Peter, but it happens in the middle of a s song -- sometimes the first song, sometimes the 10th, and everywhere around and in between. It's not a volume drop, but like someone took the equalizer and slid all the levers down all the way.

Now that I'm writing this, I'm wondering if this started when I enabled the relatively new equalizer function. For the first several months or more, there was no equalizer option.

Can you disable it and see if this problem dissappears?

Peter

Peter

I will indeed try that. I'm at work now so I won't be able to try until this evening (given that it could happen during the first song or a dozen songs later).

I'm really hoping that is not it, though, and that someone has another reason, because it was one of the main features of Spotify that I missed when I signed on to mobile at the beginning. I'm somone who fiddles with those sliders album to album and I'd hate to lose that because of a programming glitch.

If you try it and it does not occur when the feature is disabled I can open it as a bug with the staff for you.

Peter

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I'll report back either way tomorrow morning.

One thought - Does this happen after you get a message or a notification? It could have lowered the sound of Spotify to make the message tone, and then not brought it back up again...
Airhorn Enthusiast

I thought that might be the case at first, but it happens when I don't have signal at all (for instance, on the subway in NYC, where mobile signal is not fading in and out but completely absent). It also happens on the Nexus 7 tablet when I'm on the road away from wi-fi.

Ah, good point. You did mention that in your first message. I apologise. I'll try replicating this in my own Android and see what I come up with...
Airhorn Enthusiast

It's the equalizer feature.  However, I think the equalizer feature is a product of Android, not Spotify. In other words, when you click the option in Spotify settings to go to the equalizer, it appears to go to the system equalizer, as the layout and options are nearly identical to the equalizer feature in Google Play Music.

I suspect now that something is happening in the background with an Android process, which is causing something to seize up with that feature.

Unless there are other ideas, I think this is an issue separate of Spotify.

Suggested posts