Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Android App Always Offline

Solved!

Spotify Android App Always Offline

Spotify only ever reports me as Offline using the Android app. I know I have an active internet connection on the device (The Transformer TF101 if you're interested), so that's not the problem. I can (sort of) solve the issue by reinstalling Spotify. But that solution only works for about 5 minutes, and then the Spotify app reports me as offline again. 

This is the primary reason that I upgraded to Spotify Premium, so unless the app is fixed in the very near future, or I receive some sort of compensation, I'm going to have to drop Spotify Premium from my account. 

P.S.: I have Spotify Desktop connected to teh same wi-fi that the Android device is connected to, and I have no problems with it.

67 Replies

Disabled?
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

So it doesnt work on any tablet device?
@ spotify what are you doing to fix it

Up till now nothing. No realy nothing!

So what about a refund

First we have to start spamming there facebook and twitter sites with warnings about this malicious app
To make them fix it.
Marked as solution

Any way the solution that i use for now. Works.
I use a device where spotify works (experia arc) to create a play list,
Then i use my tablet to download this playlist to use offline, then i lay away my tablet or goin gto use a other app.
And magic happens after a while i can play the songs off line in the playlist
🙂 talking about stupid apps

I've got this same problem with my S2 which has been frustrating me for months, then I found this forum and thought somebody had finally found an answer but obviously not.  Can't believe that Spotify aren't doing anything to fix this.

If Napster had any sense they'd post a special offer on here to tempt all of these frustrated Android users to cancel Spotify and move to their service.

Is this case really solved? A lot of people still seems to have the problem!

(I've noticed, and experienced myself, that some threads are marked solved even though they are not. I didn't mark my own thread, for example...).

Marked as solution

Unfortunately anyone can mark any post (except their own) as a solution and there doesn't seem to be any way for the original poster to control the acceptance of this solution.
----------------
Marked as solution

Had this issue and it drove me nuts every time I checked it. Searched for a solution for the problem and it brought me to this thread. I ended up doing a couple things, and seems to work now... Here's what I did:

Logged out of my Spotify Accounts on  my computers (have it on two computers, one was currently active/playing)

In the app, I clicked on the little icon next to Playlists at the top to bring up the menu and tapped on Settings

On that screen, I went all the way to the bottom and clicked on "Log out" to sign out of Spotify, then closed the app.

Restarted it and got the "Welcome to Spotify" screen, with the two login options (Facebook or Spotify.com details).

I logged in again, in my case with Facebook, and was back to my Playlists screen.

My Spotify was no longer offline and I could download some of my playlists (I'm a premium user with that option). I thought, cool at least I could download my playlists and listen to them offline now (it would always hang on the download before at 0% with the spinning indicator). To my surprise though, I clicked on some songs on a playlist I didn't download and the song started playing/streaming. Even better. It works again!

I didn't do a full debug, but I had spotify open and logged in on two different computers (my laptop that I work from away from home, and a desktop at home). I notice when I started playing a song on my computer, the app streaming would pause and vice versa. In fact, in the program it pops up a little message that says "streaming has paused because we've detected spotify being run somewhere else" (or something to that effect).

That doesn't bother me though, I'm just glad it works again on my phone.

I'm using Spotify for Windows on the computers and my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g.

Nonetheless, hope this helps someone who is having the same issue.

Thanks to the person earlier in the thread who mentioned Spotify's location limits. That lead me to wonder if, at least for me, it got hung up somewhere between all the places I had it open and prompted me to log out of everywhere and then log into it on the phone first, then on the PC.

I have had the same problem on my Galaxy Nexus but squirrelinfire's tip worked for me. I just dissabled offline mode under settings and spotify started working again. So it seems there is a problem with the offline mode.

Thanks for the help!

Same here, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Tried everything. This app sucks on android. I've had iPhone for 5 years. It never goes offline accidentally on iPhone.

I should have known better than to trust crap companies like Msoft, Google etc. My patience with my new Experia Ray

is running out. Who is to blame? Spotify, Android OS, Google, Facebook or SonyEricsson?

All I know i s that it is not APPLE's problem!

pffft

Its a spotify issue - they have always supported iOS better than android and other mobile platforms - just compare the number of updates published between the two ... Android has had four in the last 18 months - three of those have been in the last six months but its still not as many as iOS has had in that time
----------------

hello Spotify

OK

Thanks for replying licenced. That just means I have to wait while they sort it out I guess. Mind you, it took 2 years

for them to make an iPad app so I haven't got particularly high hopes on this. Meanwhile I flick the offline-online

switch every time I get thrown out which is a sordid solution but enough to download playlists to my phone. I rarely

use the 3G for listening. I find the connection to bad for doing this. 

More than a year since this topic started and still no solution. I'm really fed up with Spotify. Anyone knows a good alternative? I want to cancel my subscription as soon as possible.

Here in June 2014 I'm having what appears to be the same issue with my Galaxy III S and Spotify 1.1.0.113.   It seems like Spotify's standard for what constitutes "connected to the Internet" is just much higher than all other apps, such that (for example) I can pull new pages with Firefox, but at the same time Spotify claims I'm disconnected from the Internet.

Given that this original thread ran for a year with no responses from the company, and a year later I'm having a very similar-sounding problem, I'll probably skip the whining and just cancel.

Just out of interest, are you getting this over both 3G and wifi and does it always show you as offline or is it intermittent?

It's intermittent, but more often "off" than "on" -- if I have a very solid and stable network connection, I can sometimes get Spotify to recognize that.   But it does seem to be a struggle more often than not... many times I have enough connectivity to (for example) surf the web or get e-mail, but Spotify fails to leave its stubborn "no connection" status.

I've seen this with all network modes (3g, 4G, and Wifi).   It's almost as if the app has its own 'debounce' logic which second-guesses Android's network-present notifications and guesses wrong most of the time.  That seems like a somewhat kooky feature to build into an app, so perhaps its just a bug.   But nobody else seems to be complaining here, so that's an additional head-scratcher.

Suggested posts