Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Running Arrives to Android

Solved!

Spotify Running Arrives to Android

Since the launch of Spotify Running, millions of you have laced up and hit the road together with the best musical motivation out there.

Today we’re thrilled to be bringing the same great experience to our Android users.

With Spotify Running, we’ve combined the best music on the planet with recommendations based on your listening history, multiple-genre playlists as well as original running compositions.

Simply select your tempo and start running. We’ll match the perfect music in time to your step to help you go the extra mile.

Spotify Running on Android starts rolling out to users today. Learn more on https://www.spotify.com/running

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Gmsitter! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

Spotify Running has moved.

Running can now be found under Browse > Genres & Moods, along with Spotify's new Party feature! ^^

Peace

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Very interesting, I've used runtastic in the last 2 years (with music provided by Spotify) but I'd like to try Spotify running, hope they plan to add support to gps and cardio bands!
Stand up and fight!

I never use this feature, as it is useless. Playlists on it comes with music I don't listen.

I better run witj my playlist. 140BPM or more!

Will the android version come with the auto tempo detection like our apple counterparts?

I hope they will. I hate it how they started to develop IOs first... Even if there are more Android devices... The function is useless without the detection.
A long time the Android version was much better but I got a feeling that the dev team has changed their priorities.

What is the point of releasing this for android without tempo detection? That is literally the only draw of this feature. Releasing running without tempo detection, is like releasing the remote control feature except that every time you change the song on one device you have to manually go change it on the other device. The developers at spotify should not have push this new feature to production until it was finished. 

We’re working hard to bring tempo detection to Android soon. We’re making a few final tweaks in order to support as many Android devices as possible and will release it in the upcoming weeks.

@ksanclemente wrote:

What is the point of releasing this for android without tempo detection? That is literally the only draw of this feature. Releasing running without tempo detection, is like releasing the remote control feature except that every time you change the song on one device you have to manually go change it on the other device. The developers at spotify should not have push this new feature to production until it was finished. 

Hi there, I have to disagree with you. I think a lot of users will like using the running feature even wthout the tempo detection, people have been eager to see the running feature after it's announcement and it's good to release as soon as stable enough with the intention to add more functionality in future updates.

If developers or companies didn;t release software or updates until it was fully featured and completely bug free then they would never publish anything as there is always new ideas to add and bugs to fix.

In regards to your question regarding tempo it is about to start being tested and once verified working relatively bug free will be released to stable. The thing to remember with Android is that development for it is more challenging than with iOS; although Android is Open Source (unlike iOS), there are challenges due to th wide range of devices and the hardware utilised being different... different screen sizes, different makes of acceleromenter, different processing speeds etc. Not to mention that some devices are still running older versions of Android which don't contain all the required libraries.

Spotify don't like releasing updates unless they believe the update will be stable across all devices and versions of the OS (since ICS), so you have to appreciate the challenges and understand why it may seem to take longer for Android to receive features iOS got months ago.

I hope this helps clarify

Dan

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Its sad that I can't use this offline. I live out in the countryside so I can't get any connection. 😞 

@Rorey Thank you... You're welcome 😉

Have fun developing

@Rorey,

[I've posted this on another topic, as I hadn't seen this one before, but it seems this one here is getting more attention, so I will re-post it... you can delete my post on the other topic if you must.]

I've used Running twice for running sessions, and here are a few thoughts...

- You set the tempo you want in 5 bpm increments, and Spotify will play songs that match it. That's how I prefer it, so I'm happy, but I find this increment quite coarse, especially considering that you cannot set the "tolerance"... I guess it is +/- 2.5 bpm, but it would be nice to be able to set it (under advanced settings if you willl).

- I have set "cross-fade songs" to OFF under settings, but in running they still cross-fade quite a lot. Again, it would be very useful to be able to set this to one's liking!

- This is the most annoying: I would expect the Running feature to work very much like the "radio stations", getting random songs based on some "starting point" (I particularly like starting a Radio from my "Liked from Radio" playlist), but pre-selecting the songs to be around the target BPM. For Radio, this works perfectly, and I do get quite random songs and artists everytime I start the same Radio.

However, for Running, the only "Radio" (or playlist as you call it) that my personal taste can have some influence is the "Recommended for You", and, at least for me, this playlist is stuck for some time after I started it on only two artists! It is very far from a random selection of artists and songs from my personal play history everytime I start it!

I hope you can make the "Running" playlists more like the Radios, but simply limiting the songs to a BPM range!!!

Leo.

PS: Yesterday Running had disappeared, but today it is back there... weird!!!

Absolutely love this feature! Way to go Spotify!

I'm running a Galaxy S6-Active and have received several updates to Spotify over the last couple weeks, but no Spotify Running yet...Ummm...????????  Is there a way to force the upgrade/install?

Which Number has your Android Version?

I'm on Android 5.0.2. Currently showing spotify version 3.8.0.800 and no
updates available in Google play store.

Could be the Android Version... I got 4.4.4 on my Galaxy A5 with the
same Spotify Version. I think are aware that there are some pending
devices... Not nice but obviously you have to deal with it.

Who made the blissed out track? It's amazing.

Been loving this feature but it's eating up my data. Any plans to make it available offline?

Hello,

After the update i have the running feature BUT it seems that it can't detect my bpm even with GPS enabled.

Two hypothesis :

The problem comes from my device , a UMI Fair .

The problem comes from the app itself.

I have no Running on Android 5.0 LG Spirit 4G Smarthpone. Simple went away after Spotify update from sidebar.

Please, please, keep it this way!!! Never used Running!!! And never will be!!!

So simple sidebar... Thank you Spotify!

Suggested posts