Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify doesnt connect to Alexa.

Spotify doesnt connect to Alexa.

I am using latest android os with 3rd generation Alexa (it also doesnt connect to my older Alexa or Dot). It just hangs on the connecting status. Occasionally it will connect but the tracks wont play. 

This is a recent thing as it used to work fine.

Plan

Premium

Country

Uk

Device

Samsung S10

Operating System

Android  latest version 

My Question or Issue

27 Replies

Hi there @djb8000000,

thanks for posting!

What you're describing sounds like a connectivity issue.

Please make sure that your device is fully updated and that your bluetooth and WiFi connections are solid.

Furthermore, i'm adding the Alexa and Spotify help page here for more info.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Thanks for the reply. 

I have the latest version of Android OS and the Alaxa and Spotify app and it still wont connect. I reinstalled spotify yesterday and it worked briefly then stopped connecting. It will work on bluetooth though just not connecting through wifi.

Incidently, when it briefly connected yesterday it would only play the song it was on when connected, if I tried others they wouldn't play.

I have tried clearing cache, logging in and out, changing password, but still no luck.

Hope this helps.

Hi there @djb8000000,

thanks for the update !

I found out that there's an ongoing issue regarding Alexa and Spotify connection.

Please make sure to check it here and subscribe to it in order to be updated on how it develops.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

Hi @djb8000000,

I do have another question for you to make sure i directed you to the right place.

Are you having troubles linking Spotify to your Alexa app or are you having issues with the Spotify Connect feature ?

The reason behind my question is this on going issue i want you to check.

Adding screenshots can contribute a lot towards the solution of the issue.

If you do decide to add them, just make sure there's no sensitive info when posting.

Waiting on your update 🙂

Hi

I'm having problems with Spotify connecting to Alexa. I have set it up properly in the Alexa app and spotify is my default music player. It used to work but now hangs on 'connecting'.

I have included a screenshot 

Screenshot_20191022-175235_Spotify.jpg

Hi @djb8000000,

There's another work around that might help.

Please visit alexa.amazon.com on a computer and remove Spotify from the list.

This should "Shake" things up a bit and the link in the Alexa app should work. 

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi.

I have tried this but my pc wont link to any of my Alexas's to do it. I have also tried unlinking my spotify account through the Alexa app but it makes no difference.

Hi @djb8000000,

Can you please try linking another Spotify account to your Alexa account?

This way i can determine if that's an account issue or something else.

Thanks for your patience 🙂

I haven't got access to another spotify premium account that I can link. 

I have just linked my spotify to a friends Alexa and wifi, and it still wont connect. It must ba a problem with the spotify app on android. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi @djb8000000,

I saw you performed a reinstall of the app with no luck.

Please try and reinstall your Alexa app as well.

In the meanwhile, it would be great if you could provide me with this information:

• Spotify version
  • Alexa app version
  • Device model
  • OS version

Waiting on your update 🙂

I'm using -

Samsung S10 with Android OS v9

Spotify  v 8.5.29.828

Alexa 3rd generation 

Alexa app v 2.2.300836.0

Hi @djb8000000,

thanks for the info !

Please take a look here to see if the Android device you're using is listed more than once.

If it is, i suggest performing a  reinstallation of the app following the steps in this Spotify Answer.

After reinstallation is completed, make sure the devices  are connected to a WiFi with a strong signal and try again using Spotify Connect with your Alexa speaker.

Waiting to see how you did 🙂

No. None of the above worked. And now I've lost all of my saved songs.

Hi @djb8000000,

Thanks for keeping me posted!

As this issue happends only on your specific account, there's another test we can try and do.

Please consider creating a new account and try linking it to your Alexa device.

As far as for your data, don't worry, you can always use this Spotify answer to transfer it safely.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Let me know what you think 🙂

I have made a new account and it seems to be working. Hopefully it will continue to be ok.

I'm not very happy that I've lost all my saved albums but t least it's working.

Thanks for your help.

I take that back. It still isn't working properly. 

It will connect to Alaxa now and will play playlists but wont play saved albums. It will play them before I save them but when they are saved they dont turn green and play (in the app).

Alexa, Chrome, Heos, Spotify does not connect when I play a saved Album. So many weeks I'm waiting for a fix, and I don't know, if I like to pay for that anymore.  

Hi @djb8000000,

thanks for keeping me posted !

It's possible that the saved Albums haven't been transferred between accounts properly.

Please login both with your old and new account to see where the saved Albums are.

If your saved albums are on the old account, you will need to put them in a playlist and move them over to the new account.

Let me know if this had helped 🙂

Suggested posts