Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify free on Kindle Fire HDX

Solved!

Spotify free on Kindle Fire HDX

I tried to use Spotify on a Kindle Fire HDX, and considering it's a tablet, I was hoping that I'd be able to use the free version of Spotify where I can play any track.  Unfortunately, it's saying my Kindle Fire is a moble device and not a tablet, which of course is not the case.  Is there something I can do to help Spotify recognize that the Kindle is a tablet, so I can stream on demand music?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Did he get the two free days? You could have previously used up the two free days.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Can confirm by looking at the app store page it appears to now be up to date! 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

81 Replies

The Kindle Fire HDX should be classed as a tablet since it is 7 inches. 

I have a feeling this is more likely to be caused by the lack of an up-to-date app on the Kindle app store, what Spotify version is installed?

Peter

I'm having the same problem with the Kindle Fire HD - I think the Spotify app on Amazon is version 0.5.8.27 & though the first 48 hours with the Premium trial worked fine, after that it wouldn't allow me to play anything & just suggested upgrading to Premium.

The Android version (version 0.7.4) is working better - allowing landscape view (which also doesn't work on the Amazon version) & shuffle play, but as it thinks I'm on a mobile device & not a tablet, I can't listen to "any song you want, any time you like" - as I'm annoyingly being told repeatedly by Spotifys audio ads.

I really hope the Amazon app gets updated soon & the issues all sorted out. It's taken me a LOT of faffing around to figure out why Spotify isn't working as it should be & I'm sure other Kindle users would appreciate an official explanation so they don't experience the same amount of confusion & frustration that myself, & I'm sure many other users, have experienced.

It is something Spotify are aware off, we have been pushing for an update here on the community for a while. 

I've just added this thread to the escalation about it too.

Peter

Thank you for the replies!  Hopefully this will get Spotify's attention soon.

Yes unfortunately my free mobile version has stopped working on my kindle fire too. 

This is something that Spotify knows about. I sent them a help request. What I was told is that the kindle fire is not considered a tablet because they consider a tablet to be more than 7 inches. Of Course I dissagree. Maybe what they could do and might even work for mobile phone is allowing it to be like the computer version when connected to wifi. and only allow shuffle when on 3g/4g. 

I can't play any playlists at all on my Kindle Fire. That's pretty poor planning to announce new features then leave out millions of tablets because they haven't rolled out a recent update to the Amazon App store and remain in no hurry to do so.

if you change your settings in the kindle to allow third party apps, you can download the spotify app directly from the spotify web site. That one will at least allow you to play your playlists (in shuffle mode). If you haven't done this before, you can go to www.lovemyfire.com and there are instructions on how to install 3rd party apps.

Still no solution? Kind of a big issue to be ignoring...

I'm having the same problem here, although it seems worse because me and my brother just got the exact same kindle fire HDX (for christmas) and both of us installed spotify, we both have free accounts, and both logged in in the exact same ways, my spotify doesn't let me stream music, but his...does?! He's able to play music with no problem and he's sure he doesn't have premium, and mine just doesn't let me (it's the same error message you said). If I'm honest this seems like a complete joke, that it works on his and not mine, I just don't understand?!

Marked as solution

Did he get the two free days? You could have previously used up the two free days.

I have a feeling @ASL is correct here, if your brother logs into his online account does it show he is on a 48 hour free premium trial? 

Unfortunately we are still waiting for an app update in the Kindle store to make Spotify free available on Kindle tablets. 

Peter

I just got a Kindle Fire HDX and my SPotify premium won't continuously play any music. I have to manually stop what I am doing and access the Spotify App to hit 'next'. I don't have this issue with my iphone, laptop, or desktop computer. It even worked on my original Kindle Fire with no problems. I spent over an hour on the phone with Amazon support and restored factory settings, did a hard reset, uninstalled and re-installed Spotfiy with no results. I am canceling my subscription if this issue isn't resolved.

Jen

@JenMarie77 I've moved your post to a thread on this. Read @Peter__ 's replies for the current status on this.

I don't think he had any 2 free days, but I'll ask him in a couple of days if it's working, but if we're still waiting on an update to get spotify working on Kindles then that's fine I guess, I've put some of my music onto it directly from Itunes anyway so it's not completely music-less, thanks for the help.

Hi All, 

I've got a kindle fire hd and an android Gingerbread Phone, the phone having Google Play store, the Fire locked to amazon appstore. I am a spotify free user and downloaded the Kindle Fire app after hearing that spotify is now free on phones and tablets. The app that i downloaded from amazon appstore seems to be outdated as it does not seem to "know" that spotify is now free, however, when i download the app from the google play store on my phone, the app works fine. Could someone please help? The situation has been like this for a few weeks now. 

@user-removed I merged your post into a thread on this. Spotify staff are aware that the kindle app needs updating.

Any idea when the app will be updated?

We are still waiting to hear, Spotify rarely give out release dates.

Peter

Suggested posts