Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps deleting downloaded songs

Spotify keeps deleting downloaded songs

Spotify premium keeps deleting my offline downloaded music, despite of the fact that I have enough empty storage room. What could be causing this problem?
Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hey folks,

For anybody still experiencing this issue, we'd recommend heading over to this Ongoing Issue thread. Follow the suggested troubleshooting steps and see if that helps.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions. We're always a click away!

189 Replies

Hey all and dear @SpotifyCares, 

I also have this problem with Samsung galaxy A5. It would be really nice to have a fix for this as there are posts about this daily for years... It doesn't seem an unsolvable issue and seems for me as one of the major issues with the application, causing damage to its image and many people leaving premium subscription. 

Please do as you say and care about this issue! 

Balazs

Same problem here, happened for the 3rd time now.

I have to say that the convenience of spotify is being outweight by having to re-download everything.

If i have to do it one more time, i am leaving premium, this is not worth it.

This is the third time in THREE DAYS that this has happened to me. JESUS. It's so frustrating as a Premium member to have to download 1300 songs EVERY DAY, SPOTIFY.

You mean to tell me as well that I need to LIMIT MYSELF to my phone's crappy 6gb internal memory and not use my SD card, just to see if this won't happen again? WOW

It's happened to me on both internal memory and SD card, on an LG G4 and a Galaxy S7, so I don't think it has anything to do with where you download to. The closest I can get to an answer is that it's to do with regsitered devices.

Hasn't happened to me in two months now though.....

.....because I switched to Apple Music.

I've got no idea what you dev team is doing to the app or who's driving these changes, but you can give yourself a medal for having the sh*tiest app on the market at the moment. It was all good a few releases ago, my whole library was downloaded to an SD card (same one I'm trying to use now) and life was good, but since the last release it's all going tits up. I've followed this extensive guide for a clean install (clean cache, uninstall, clean folders, reboot, clean offline devices, format SD card, install Spotify, give permissions, reboot, check permissions, Storage under Spotify Settings set to SD card, all looks good):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257

[BTW, why the **bleep** do users have to go through this procedure when you already present them with a "clean cache" option? all the folders listed in the guide should get deleted automatically when uninstalling the app]

and still get all the content removed every time I open the app. I pick a playlist, hit download, everything downloads, only to later on get removed and redownloaded. Straight after the clean install I downloaded a playlist with around 170 songs and after roughly 10min got a message that I haven't got enough offline devices on my offline list and that all downloaded content will get removed. This is b*llocks of course, as I made sure to clean my list of offline devices before doing the install. After the "purge"(which btw doesn't really delete anything, just breaks the link to the downloaded content somehow as I could still see the spotify folder on the SD card) I re-downloaded the whole playlist again, rebooted my phone and guess what? it's not available anymore, the app shows this as not available and if I want I can redownload it YET AGAIN. The best thing is that if I use a File Manager to look at the SD card it still holds all the offline content!!! It's there all the time, yet the app can't see it somehow or doesn't like something about it.

Congratulations to your whole team, you can open up a bottle of champagne and give yourself highfives for screwing something which was already working up!

T.

Having the same issue. Tired of waiting to redownload over 2K songs. I used to be a huge Spotify proponent, but will probably switch to google play, especailly after reading all of their great reviews. Spotify, get you act together. I pay for premium service and so far, your service has been less premium than what has been advertised. 

This happens to me constantly

I only have two offline devices, and this is occuring on a Google Pixel that has no option for a SD card, or alternate storage of any kind.

Getting extremely tired of redownloading 2000+ songs every week.

Hi! The same issue has happened to me twice in the last two weeks. I understand apps can have problems from time to time, but this seems to be a recurring one and other threads covering the same topic date back to 2014! Is it possible that there's been no way to fix it for such a long time? It doesn't feel right to pay for a service that constantly fails.

I pay for the premium service to get off-line access to a library of music on my phone (Andriod v7.0, LG-H840). This is because there's not always an internet connecition when I'm travelling. Unfortunately, Spotify take it upon themselves to delete my library every now and again forcing me to download all my music again. This isn't what I signed-up for. It also it's really annoying as often the first indication that they've deleted my library is when I want to play music because I'm off-line and there's a stupid message saying please connect to the internet and download this song!

I've raised this issue many times over many years. The usual response is to blame my phone. I'm less than convinced by this argument, but even if there is some rights management software belonging to my phone deleting my music it should be possible for Spotify to:

a) implement some form of polling to detect whether my library has been deleted and if so send me a message asking if I would like to download it again.

b) keep details of my library on their servers so redownloading my entire library is a simple matter of clicking a single button rather than having to select each album and click download.

When is Spotify going to address this problem? In the meantime they should compensate me for not having the service they advertise.

They rake in so much money I'm afraid they will never fix it or else they would have at least addressed it by now. To Tidal I have moved and its wonderful.

Mine appears to be resolved for now.  I reformatted my SD Card and downloaded the songs over again.  I haven't had an issue in well over a week.

Reformated using the steps Android Settings>Storage>SD Card Settings>Format

Just wanted to say I have the same problem every week! iPhone user and downloads disappear regularly

Basically happens to me every week or so, im just used to it now even though i’m a premium subscriber. So i just download 5 or 6 albums for offline use thats it, so when it gets deleted i dont have to re download 50 albums or so. I only stay in premium to have no adds, otherwise i would go free, which i am seriously thinking of doing anyway. My advice? Just get used to it, and don’t download too much stuff because you WILL lose it. 

Good advice.

They don't seem to want to solve this issue anyway...

We have to accept that the Spotify platform is the worst service on Android.

We should not be surprised when the issue appears. 

And who are the real fools ? SpotiBug ? Or us who still be premium despite the fact that we all know that the issue exists for years now, and will be living until the end of the times.

So, if we are really logic. Let's all delete our Spotify account... 

At the end of the day, that should be the best advice.

Previously I had lost my downloaded music when I was individually selecting albums for download on the android app. When everything got deleted, so did my selection of albums to download (thus the annoyance of having to re-download).

After losing everything last time, and some googling, I found that going to My library - Songs and checking the download option there seems to work better. Of course this means that every song that you 'save' will be downloaded to your phone...  This only bothered me because the definition of 'save' is different on the desktop app vs the mobile app. I had been using 'save' for songs I really liked, and saving albums seperately and manually telling the android app to download them (this is what kept breaking). Saving an album on the app is pointless (it just brings you to a stupid screen with no tracks listed). So now, I have to 'save' the album AND all the tracks in it.

Since changing to this method I haven't lost my downloads on my phone... or maybe I have and they all redownloaded without me noticing...

Hopefully this is helpful.

Just happened to me.  Spotify updated 16hrs ago and when I open the Spotify app, all my offline content is gone... Not actually deleted, just inaccessable.

This is 2x in 2 weeks.

Fix this or I will take my monies elsewhere.

Same thing happened to me, mine was fine until I updated.  Lost everything again.

But the reason we are still here is we have no where to go...

_ Tidal

_ Apple Music

_ Soundcloud Go

_ etc, etc...

There are several other platforms with real High Quality sound.

Another bad point for Spotify is that the 320kbps of Spotify is really ugly. Is it really 320kbps ? I don't think so... 

We are soon in 2018 ! A higher quality of sound would be appreciated...

Same problem here. Note 8 with 64gb SD card reserved for music.

Also happened repeatedly on Note 4. I am seriously considering moving over to Tidal now although I really don't want to. 

If I manage 3 days without having to download dozens of albums in Spotify, I am surprised at this point. It happens non stop. This issue makes premium completely unusable so I'm surprised that Spotify are not taking this very seriously.

Suggested posts