Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Pixel 5

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

First of all, I have done all the default troubleshooting steps (Logout everywhere, change password, reinstall, update, restart, clean cache...) - issue persists over multiple versions of Spotify and Android.

Spotify randomly starts playing, often at night waking me up if I didnt mute my phone before. 

I found a way to reproduce the issue:

Step 1: Make sure bluetooth is turned on.

Step 2: Stop the App via that build in function of Android OS.

Step 3: Turn on Flight Mode. 

Result: Spotify starts playing (continues last Song i played)

Step 4: Repeat Step 2. (Spotify stops playing)

Step 5: Turn off Flight Mode.

Result: Android turns on Bluetooth again automatically and Spotify starts to play again. 

All of this does not happen, when Bluetooth is turned off!

Conclusion: It happens when Bluetooth is turned on/off. I don't know why it does happen randomly at night. But both is probaply related to the Bluetooth status.

Question: Any Idea how I can fix this Issue ?

Additional Info:

I just found out two more things:

1.  This does also happen, when I turn on bluetooth without it happening automatically by me turning off flight mode. But not, when turning off bluetooth manually.

2. If Spotify has played once and I stop the music in notification bar and then swipe spotify to the side, out of the notification bar as to "close" it, it will not happen in the near future anymore. Only when spotify has not been running at all for a longer time or I forced it to stop. 

18 Replies

Hey @Tex_us,

Thanks for posting in the Community and the extensive description on how to reproduce the issue.

Could you also answer the following questions:

• Is your device rooted?
  • Which version of the Spotify app do you have installed on your phone?
  • Do you have Polar Flow or a similar fitness tracker app installed on your phone?
  • Is Spotify set as an exception in the battery/memory optimization settings on the affected device?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thanks for the quick response!

- My Device is not rooted.

-  Spotify Version 8.7.28.1217

- I have Polar Flow installed!

- Battery: No.

- Memory: No? Couldn't really find a memory optimization setting to be honest.

Hey @Tex_us,

Thanks for the reply.

I know it may be a lot to ask, but could you disable or uninstall Polar Flow for a moment and see if the issue occurs again?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I have a similar problem, and would love some help. My Spotify opens by itself, and drains my battery, but I often don't notice because my volume is down. When I do turn my volume up, it's on, but it's not an open app (when I click the bottom left of my screen to see all open apps it's not there), so I have to open the app inorder to stop the music. How can I just close the app until I want to listen?

I am on a galaxy note 10+ and have a family plan on Spotify. 

I'll do that and answer soon with the result!

Hey @Rthomps1,

Thanks for posting.

Could you provide the information on your device setup requested in the post above? Could you also let us know what troubleshooting you've already tried? In the meantime we advise you to perform a clean reinstall as described here

We need it in order to find possible causes for this issue.

@Tex_us , We'll be on the look for your reply.

Cheers!

DianModerator

The issue didn't occure anymore since I uninstalled Polar Flow, never thought this could be the root of the problem! 

Is there any other way to fix it, except for not having Polar Flow on your phone? 🤔

Hey @Tex_us,

Thanks for the reply.

We're currently working on a fix of the described issue, but can't give you an exact timeframe for the resolution. But we'd ask you to always keep both the Polar Flow and Spotify apps updated.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Just adding, I have a very similar situation.

Listening to other sources on my bluetooth headphones... all of a sudden, Spotify starts playing (cancelling my other audio).

I listen to Spotify on my Samsung S10+ (v 8.7.64.478) and on my Windows 10 computer (Spotify for Windows
1.1.93.898.g58f5ba0b).

Super irritating...

Hi there @mrswoop,

Thank you for your reply in this thread. We're sorry to see that you're having these issues. 

To start with, can you let us know if you tried all of the troubleshooting that's been provided in this thread?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I am having the same issue.

Recently, Spotify will start playing the first song in a favorite album of mine unprompted.

It always starts around 10 or 11pm it seems and it's *hours* after I've listened to music for the day. 

This has never happened before. 

I don't know what the Polar Flow app is nor do I have it.  I have changed my password already.

Hi @Muunchkin,

Thanks for confirming.

In that case it might be another app that's causing this. Do you use Google Clock or something similar? Check that app's settings to see if there's something in there that may be causing Spotify to launch at a certain time of the day.

If you have a Samsung device, perhaps you have Bixby routines toggled on. You can find out more info on how to disable them here.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Oh my god.  I set the routine for music - from that album ! - to play when I hit 100% battery months ago. 

I don't know why it chose now to start actually following it,  but thanks so much! I think this will resolve my issue!

Awesome @Muunchkin! The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Have a good one!

YordanModerator

Hello, i have this problem, i never had it since today, im was using my airpods and spotify dont stop playing on the background for no reason, i checked if it still running on the background but nothing is there, need a solution please, i have an Iphone 13, with 17ios and with the latest version of spotify, please need help, thank you 

Hey,

Just another casual user here - by no means an expert. Have you read all of this thread yet? I think you're the first one to mention it's happening on IOS as well. 

Phone randomly goes into vibration mode and spotify music starts playing every night for the past few weeks. Some nights around 12:30am, other nights around 1:30am-1:40am and other nights at 3am. I have to take off the music and vibration mode off my phone every night.

Hi @Brendapaola99,

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Sounds like you have some sort of routine set up. Check your phone's assistant (for example, Samsung devices have Bixby) or any similar apps you might have installed (like the aforementioned Polar Flow app, or Google Clock) and turn off any active routines.

Cheers 🤘

YordanModerator

Suggested posts