Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Start Spotify Connect on AVR: volume?

Solved!

Start Spotify Connect on AVR: volume?

Hi From Android application I start a playlist on my Denon avr via Spotify Connect. But the volume is not synced, is it OK? It is displayed as zero level, but touching it behaves correctly. So I do not know at what level is the volume. 

Is it a bug or is it by design? 

Is it a poor Spotify Connect implementation on Denon side? 

Thank you. 

Screenshot attached. 

Screenshot_2015-01-11-11-10-49.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have a tip for the Onkyos: I set my receiver to a max-volume of 45 (instead of 75)... Still loud as hell (as needed for 5.1), but it doesn't turn to max.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hello and welcome to the Spotify Community!

well my spotify connect works completely fine. Have you already tried reinstalling the app? It can also be a fault of the AVR. The volume on your AVR Should be the same as it is on your connected device.

Kind regards,

Max aka. Amarro

If i helped you don't forget to leave a "Kudo" or "Accept as Solution".

( Twitter // Spotify )

What is a Spotify Rock Star and how do i become one?

Im not a Spotify Employee.

It could be that the Denon doesn't sync the volume level from the app, and instead you'll have to adjust the actual volume from the Denon. I don't think this is a bug, but rather how Denon made it work

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Actually,it works from the app remoting the Denon avr, it seems more an application refresh bug or something... 

If I use it, it works ok,  then for example I go back to "now playing" page and click again on volume icon, the volume slider is back to zero. 

Screenshot_2015-01-11-12-17-06.png
Screenshot_2015-01-11-12-16-46.png

Hmmm... I could be wrong then. I've never used Spotify connect with a receiver before, so I don't really have experience with this. Maybe someone else on the forum can help.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I've noticed since the last Android update I'm not getting the volume sync always... I'm hoping it get's fixed in the next update else I'll let the Android Dev team know.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Ok, so hopefully it is not a Denon bug.

Thank you!

Camillo

Yeah, i don;t think it's HW specific... I've noticed it since the last Android update on my Pioneer, and I know it was definately showing correctly before.

Like I say, let's see what happens in the next update. If still not fixed I'll get something pushed to the devs.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I have the same issue with my Onkyo TX NR626. Terrifies my whole family every time.

Here's how to reproduce this bug on the Onky Tx-Nr626:

1) start the receiver (for me, it startet to NET input)
2) let it initialize the NET functions
3) Don't touch the volume the whole time (my receiver starts wirh volume 18)
4) Connect phone to receiver via Spotify Connect immediately
5) Turn volume down ON PHONE with the volume rockers.
6) Volume is turning from MAX to one less most times, but not always.

Firmware and Spotify are most current versions by the time of writing this.

This is EXTEMELY DANGEROUS as not only my whole HiFi equipment may be killed (handmade Focal Speakers), but also my EARS!!!

Who do I have to sue in case of a permanent hearing loss caused by this bug?

Hi

Please give Kudos (clicking on the button) to the first message to give priority to this problem for the Spotify developers.

Just hoping this helps save the problem: we have an Onkyo Receiver TX NR636. Since the latest update of the receiver you have to use connect to listen to spotify instead of using spotify directly from the receiver. I connect from an android device, my husband uses an iPhone. He hasn't had any issues but no matter how carefully I set the volume, when I use my android to listen the volume just rockets to max. So it seems more software related than hardware related. I kept thinking I did something wrong but even checking all the settings, carefully selecting a low volume and making sure I stay away from the touch screen, the volume is automatically pumped up to max. Which hurts my ears but also ruined my beloved speakers. I hope this bug will be fixed very soon!

I wonder why we don't get any official answer from Spotify?

Their volume control "feature" has the ability to ruin speakers, amplifiers and even to hurt humans.

I don't know if it's Onkyos or Spotifys fault, but as Spotify seems to certify these devices, they should have been tested by them!

Hi
Please give Kudos (clicking on the button) to the first message to give priority to this problem for the Spotify developers.
Thank you!

@Lucinde wrote:
Just hoping this helps save the problem: we have an Onkyo Receiver TX NR636. Since the latest update of the receiver you have to use connect to listen to spotify instead of using spotify directly from the receiver. I connect from an android device, my husband uses an iPhone. He hasn't had any issues but no matter how carefully I set the volume, when I use my android to listen the volume just rockets to max. So it seems more software related than hardware related. I kept thinking I did something wrong but even checking all the settings, carefully selecting a low volume and making sure I stay away from the touch screen, the volume is automatically pumped up to max. Which hurts my ears but also ruined my beloved speakers. I hope this bug will be fixed very soon!

Hi!

You mean that on iOS the volume on Spotify Connect works ok?

This information could help Spotify developers to solve the issue.

We are saying that it can be an Android related problem?

I noticed that if I start first the song on my Android phone and then click on the AVR I get the AVR volume replicated into the Android app and I see it also in the application.

If I start Spotify Connect directly on the AVR the volume on the Android app stays zero, but the AVR start playing at its current volume (really loud!).

Camillo

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. At the time I wrote my former message, the volume issue hadn't happened with the IPhone yet, but now it has occured on the Iphone as well. I'm not sure what the cause is: it might be because I had stopped using my Android to connect alltogether fearing the noise and therefore we used the Iphone more often. I would like to add that we both keep our software updated both on the phones and the AVR software so we use the latest versions of everything.

What I noticed is: 

I set the volume on both the AVR and the phone to low (maybe 6 or 7 on the AVR, and I place the volume toggle thing completely left on the phone, so that should be zero). As soon as I connect, the volume toggle moves completely to the right and the volume on the AVR goes to 68. With my Android Phone it happens almost all the time, with the Iphone it seems to be less predictable. It doesn't seem to change anything if I play the song in the Android/Iphone app first in a respectable volume, or if I connect to the AVR first, as you describe. The volume thing happened in both scenario's. The only thing that seems to work is set the volume on both AVR and phone very low, play the song in the app first and pause it, then connect (From pause), be weary cause connecting might cause the song to play again, but you must press pause immediately so the song is on pause when the connection is made. That way you can set the volume toggle to very low when it jumps to extremely high, start the song and control the volume directly on the AVR or with the remote control. I try to stay as far away from the volume toggle on the phone as possible:). But that work around is complicated and I'm still frightened the volume will suddenly spike again so to be honest I've just stopped using the app, switched back to good old cd's. Seems a lot safer.

It really seems related to the Spotify app, because I've googled and people with different AVRs seem to have the same problem. So it's not an Onkyo thing, and since it happens on both iOS and Android it's not system specific either.

Hope Spotify resolve this soon! I have the same problem. I have a Onkyo 616 and using NET is very dangerous since the volume pops up tp MAX and I am afraid my speakers and ears will be damaged!

2016-02-24 ->   EDIT: I added a MAX volume on my Onkyo and now I feel more safe!
But I would like Spotify Connect to have + and - buttons on the screen instead of just a slider. I'ts very easy to "slip" when trying to adjust the volume just a small bit.

I am using an Onkyo 616 receiver.

Since the update to 2.4.0.825 me and my family suffers from this dangerous bug.

After Connect the receiver starts in Maximal volume, this is dangerous for the equipment and the ears!

Please fix this bug as soon as possible.

I am paying a full account for playing Spotify on my Onkyo,

If I can't do that anymore I will cancel my subscription.

Hermann

Marked as solution

I have a tip for the Onkyos: I set my receiver to a max-volume of 45 (instead of 75)... Still loud as hell (as needed for 5.1), but it doesn't turn to max.

I have experienced right now the same with Spotify Desktop app; volume started at maximum level.

Unlike the Android app where I have time while the AVR is switching on to adjust the volume from the Spotify app, with the Desktop app it seems the volume is not sent to the AVR until the AVR is playing (even if I continuosly turned the volume down from Spotify Desktop app).

Camillo 

Suggested posts