Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stop Spotify from streaming over mobile data!

Stop Spotify from streaming over mobile data!

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

LG-g4

Operating System

Android 6.0

My Question or Issue

You can be listening at home using wifi data, get up and go outside for a walk, and Spotify seamlessly switches to mobile data without a hiccup. Quite amazing. 

But also really annoying and potentially expensive if it does the same trick when your wifi fails for whatever reason, e.g. cat unplugged it, internet provider goes down, etc.

In such cases Spotify switches to mobile data with no sign. If you don't notice the wifi outage, you can easily burn thru your mobile data allotment and beyond in a day.

But there is no way to stop Spotify from switching to mobile data if wifi goes down. This is crazy! Please fix it. 

I'm using the Spotify app on an LG-G4 running Android version 6.0 (highest version this phone supports)

9 Replies

Hi @delysid23 

Please take a look at this article on more info about using cellular data

https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/system_settings/bandwidth-and-data-usage/

Alternatively, for android, you may also restrict Spotify or choose which apps from using cellular data. 

Let me know if the above options help!

That didn't answer the question and nobody from Spotify seems to be willing to admit it (this has been requested for years). The ask is simple: a toggle to prevent streaming over cellular. Not offline mode (that stops ALL streaming). Not me manually setting it when I leave wifi (this is  SMART phone, right?) Not telling me to download ahead of time and ensure I play that content. Just a way to not let the app use cellular data for streaming. That's really not a big ask.

Please add this feature.

You seem confident enough in your product (for not say arrogant) to not listen to what we are asking you to do. You don't seem at all bothered by the competition. It is obvious that you simply DO NOT WANT to implement this plain toggle button: not let Spotify work on mobile data AT ALL! You made me furious and I will certainly consider the competitors.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and for your feedback. We just came across this thread.

If you're as Premium user you can download your playlists and listen offline by following the steps that's provided in this article.

Also, if you have another suggestion on how this could work and you think it will appeal to other users you can always create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. 

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I left long ago for YouTube Music for one reason: they support this feature. It's great you responded, but what you called out still does not address what seems like a very simple request from the customer point of view: just add a setting that fully prevents streaming over mobile data (i.e., only allows it over wifi.) 

Hi again @daniel_herron,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We don't have the authority to just add a feature as a moderator. However we're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This really needs to be a feature already, just a simple in-app toggle to turn off data usage. When I restrict Spotify data usage from my phone's settings, I'm unable to play downloaded songs as well.

Jeremy that's such a BS corpo non answer. This is a feature that has been requested for a long time by the community. Why doesn't Spotify add this feature? Because they probably found out implementing it would reduce some 'engagement' metric too much and leave some $$ on the table. So lame

Suggested posts