NEXT STEP

Turn OFF Lyrics Search

Turn OFF Lyrics Search

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Android 

My Question or Issue

A recent update now searches the lyrics of songs when I type something in the search bar, not just the titles of songs. How do I turn off this feature?

For example: if I'm looking for "The Banks of the Lee", I want to find that song, not "The Irish Rover", which contains that phrase. 

afaik, there's no search syntax for song title, so there isn't even a workaround for this issue.

9 Replies

Hey @Pizza_goblin,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Currently there isn't an option to disable lyrics search, however we're always open to new ideas 🙂 The best way to get yours noticed and considered is if you create an idea for it in the Community by going here - that way, other users will also be able to vote for it. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Note that when searching for a song by its title, it should come up as the top result. If that's not the case with you, it's a good idea to log out and back into your account two times in a row. This prompts a resynch with our servers. If the issue persists, could you send us a screenshot of how things look at you end? You can attach it to your post via the Insert Photo option, just be sure to hide any private or sensitive information.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem.

There's a song called How Can You Tell by Lone but if I type "lone how can you tell" it just gives me a bunch of irrelevant songs, all matching the lyrics only. The actual song I'm looking for, whose name and artist I actually typed, is several scrolls down the page.

So the search by lyrics feature is not working as intended, and therefore I would like to turn it off. Most of the music I listen to doesn't have lyrics anyway.

Hi there @simple2,

Thank you for your post here in this thread.

Can you send us the URI of the song so that we can have a closer look directly from our end?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Here it is: https://open.spotify.com/track/7kk5WuU9bG8TGj7Na9wq0E

Just to reiterate, I searched for "lone how can you tell" (without the quotes).

Hey @simple2,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for that info.

That's odd. We've tested on our end in both desktop and mobile apps and the top result was always that song, followed by lyrics match results. Can you let us know in which device that's happening and if it also happens in any other devices where you use the app?

Also and just to confirm, did you try logging out and closing the app twice in a row to see if that helps with the syncing with our servers?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

It happens both on the desktop app, as well as the Android app. I have tried logging out. Again, to be perfectly clear, the result is at the top if I type "how can you tell lone" (different order) or "lone how can you te" (notice the missing "ll") but as soon as I type the complete name (which I do sometimes) i.e. "lone how can you tell" it just disappears.

Hey @simple2

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

In case this persists after logging out everywhere it's a good idea to run a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on all devices in use. This will remove leftover cache that could be causing the issue. 

If you see no difference after a clean reinstall, make sure no battery optimization settings or data cleaning apps run active on your mobile device. Such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity. We also suggest accessing the app settings and making sure all Permissions are enabled for Spotify. 

You can also check the hosts file on your desktop device for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this. 

Not being able to turn off lyric search is a bug in Spotify. It doesn't need a feature request. For those of searching for instrumental tunes (e.g. Irish music), typing track: in front of every search is an awful user experience. Please add a toggle in settings to disable lyric search. It will take about 5 minutes of effort and make thousands of people happy.

Thanks,

Andy

Yeah and Automatic lyric search makes looking for song covers really difficult

Suggested posts