Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy II, Moto II, Pixel

Operating System

My Question or Issue

Some android phones launch NFC and play tracks without issue.  For instance, a Samsung Galaxy II I own works well.  On other android devices, the launch feature will bring up an error or blank screen.  For instance, I have noticed this behavior on a Pixel and a Moto II.  

Is it possible to make this experience more consistent across Android devices?

2 Replies

I've looked into this in more detail.  Launching NFC URI codes works for Artists and Albums.  It does not work for tracks.  This has been the case on several test phones I've used.  Here is a specific combination to check out though:

Nexus 6P

Android version 8.1.0

Spotify version 6.5.4.770

YES! This is exactly what I have seen. Playlist URIs are bugged, but user URIs are fine. It's specifically the Spotify URIs not the URLs that lead to a black screen. 

This isn't just for NFC, if you try using a Spotify URI using Tasker or NFC, it yields the same problem, just a black empty screen that never loads, which is the same error that occurs when you submit an invalid Spotify URI, for example: "spotify:uuuu", the same black screen comes up.  (I've tried entering the URI into a web browser on my phone, Chrome and Samsung, and I can't check if that works, as it automatically googles it).

So, it seems like playlist URIs on Android (they work perfectly fine on the latest version of Chrome) are being lost right now, and are treated in the same way as typical URI code errors.

Suggested posts