Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume Issues New update

Volume Issues New update

With the Latest Spotify update for Android I have noticed a decrease in the Volume of the music, what gives?!?!?! 

Please fix it!

168 Replies

@lucaat wrote:

Installing the previous version fixes it!

grab it at:

http://www.apk4fun.com/files/48964/

Hi,

Just a couple of questions before I try this:

Do you have to uninstall the new app before installing the older version?

Will I be able to update it automatically when an update becomes available in the Google Play store, or will I have to continue to do it manually because of this backwards update?

Thanks!

Yes, I uninstalled the new one before installing the older version. But I did not clear the cache & data within the spotify app. Everything seems to work fine.

I disabled autoupdates in the play store for now because I don't want that the app updates itself to the broken version.

When the new version is fixed I will re-enable updates.

If it for some reason would not update itself automatically I would uninstall the old version and install the most recent version from Play store.

Great, thanks for your help, will try it when I'm back at home with wifi. Really frustrating!

Just checked the Play Store and it's full of reviews from people complaining about the volume issue with the new update.

I *really* hope it's just a bug and not a 'feature' because of some new EU directive limiting maximum volume to protect our eardrums.

Enjoying a trial of Google All Access now, if it ain't fixed in two weeks I'm jumping ship, I'm sure they will be glad to have my money, all I want is to listen to music, I pay for it, and they will still take my money at the end of the month and all we gonna get is "I'm sorry"

I'm having these issues as well.  I give Spotify 5 days and i'm gone.  I don't pay good money for them to have screw ups like this and have them not respond quickly to their errors.  

This is very annoying. If this is a new feature for volume limitation, the developers must put an option to disable it in settings.

I'm considering using another streaming service if the next update doesn't fix it.

Protecting your hearing is important, stay below 85db, but it should be the
listeners responsibility.

If this helps the dev team pinpoint the bug I have some other info:

1.  I listen to spotify in my car in offline mode, to save on data, so all the songs I listen to are downloaded playlists.

2. For songs that downloaded from Spotify itself, the volume on these songs is about half of what they used to be (judging by how loud I have to turn my stereo up in the car to get the same volume as before).  EDIT: this is actually misleading.  It's more like I have to add about 15 units to whatever it used to be.  So 15 is now 30, 25 is now 40, 30 is now 45, etc.

3. For songs that downloaded from my local files on my home machine (i.e. songs that are not available on Spotify), these songs still play at the regular volume.

All of these symptoms make listening to spotify in the car a very terrible experience.  I'll have the volume up to listen to the Spotify tracks and then *BAM* next track is from a local file and the volume is so loud it's painful.  Unfortunately, I have a new car, and new cars these days don't come with CD players anymore, so Spotify (or the radio) are my only options.

The solution for this CAN'T be to make the local tracks quieter too.  We need to go back to the way it used to work.

Spotify was great before this update, so I hope you guys can fix the problem soon.

EDIT: updated with more accurate information

Another workaround.

I uninstalled the latest version 2.7.0.883 and installed the version 2.6.0.813 available in Amazon AppStore.

Not sure if the offline music is lost in the process. My offline content was empty because I cleared the cache and data before doing this.

Just to add to the analysis above...

I only ever stream (mostly over 3G/4G), I don't have anything downloaded to my device, and therefore I never use offline mode - and I also have the problem (on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running KitKat 4.4.2).

I wouldn't say the volume has halved, but it's considerably quieter. Enough to be immediately noticable the first time I used it after the update.

Having volume issues too. I only listen to it via bluetooth to my car head unit. Previously volume on my head unit at 24 now sounds the same at about volume 30

This would be cool and fine with me, if you say, are normalizing your audio. But no heads up or explination? thats stupid considering i'm paying you every month

starting to want to use google music now

I hate it ! I'm seriously thinking change to google play music or deezer ir you don't fix it.

Amazon app was updated and is now suffering from the same low volume problem

Okay, so I rolled back to the previous version, using the link that lucaat kindly posted yesterday.  Unfortunately, you need to uninstall the app first, meaning that all your music downloaded for offline music becomes unsynced.  However, after installing the old version from the link and resyncing some albums for offline use (a boring 30-45 minutes or so!), I was good to go again.  Oh boy, you can certainly notice the difference!

N.B. Make sure you switch off Auto Update in the Google Play store, otherwise you'll have to go through the process again.

Spotify: This is a pain in the butt of a workaround, shame on you for not rolling back your faulty "upgrade" as soon as you realised there was a problem.  More testing required next time methinks.

Same problem here - Galaxy S6 with Android 5.02.

I'm going to cancel my subscription, this is very important. I'm sorry I'm not gonna pay for a service that I shouldn't update. This is 2015.

Just wanted to pass along that I exchanged a few DMs with @Spotifycares regarding this issue. They told me that they're aware of the issue and that their "best tech folks" were on the issue as we speak and we should see a fix soon. So HOPEFULLY they fix this sooner than later.

Please fix this already. I'm standing next to people at work and I can still hear thier conversations with both headphones in my ears. I work in a louder factory setting, I need the maximum volume limit to be higher then what it currently is. 

Thank you. 

I've downloaded the last version from the link that lucaat posted yesterday and it's a noticeably higher volume level but it's still lower than Google play music.

Suggested posts