Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Weird Audio 'Blips' When Playing Spotify On Chromecast

Weird Audio 'Blips' When Playing Spotify On Chromecast

Hi there,

When casting Spotify from my phone, there are some songs that have very strange audio artifacts / blips present that are not present when playing them elsewhere. I play the songs through my phone's speakers, through a speaker system via an 1/8" stereo audio cable, in a car via an 1/8" stereo audio cable, and in a car via a bluetooth connection, and the blips are not present. Only while playing through my Chromecast do they appear.

They are only on certain songs, and they are always at the same place in the song every time I play them. Not sure if this could be an issue with Spotify's connection to Chromecast, or if it'd be an issue with the Chromecast, or a network issue. I tried using my wife's iPhone to cast the music and the issue persisted (exact same blips in the exact same songs). Here's a list of steps I've taken to troubleshoot this issue.

-Checked that both Android phone and iPhone had up-to-date operating systems and Spotify apps.

-I power cycled the Chromecast and made sure the software was up-to-date.

-There is a PC and a few gaming consoles plugged into the TV as well, and nothing like these blips ever occur with any content on the other devices.

-No other content sent to the Chromecast has this issue (YouTube, Netflix, Chrome browser tab, etc.).

-Tried a different Chromecast on a different TV in our house and the music has the same issues.

-Tried a Chromecast audio on a speaker system and the music does NOT have the blips.

-Removed the Spotify download for the affected songs, streaming them only - issue persisted. Re-downloaded songs, and issue still persisted.

Here is a video that shows one of the songs (Paperwhite - Human Nature) where the blips are the worst. They remind me of the old sound effect from a MacBook when the volume is changed.

For reference, here is the YouTube link for the song, which does not contain the blips:

This is a non-exhaustive list of other songs where I've noticed the blips. I'll update as I run across more:

Astrid S - "Hurts So Good - KREAM Remix"

Myzica - "We Belong Together"

AIRGLØW - "Dream"

Hillsong Young & Free - "In Your Eyes - Live" (right at the end)

Ella Vos - "Little Brother"

My phone: Google Pixel / Android 7.1.2 / Build NHG47K // Spotify ver. 8.4.0.539

Wife's phone: iPhone 7 / iOS 10.3.1 / Build 14E304 // Spotify ver. 8.4.0

Chromecast firmware version: 1.23.84839

13 Replies

Hello I have the same problem since a couple of weeks. Using chromecast 1 on combinatiemachines with Spotify.
I streamen the same song to kodi and there is the sound good.

Are you using chromecast with the option being a bèta tester? Perhaps something to do with that. Otherwise I have no idea

I have the same chromecast firmware version.
Sorry for the bad english. My Phone is corrects it to NL

Hi,

See below. Your version, mine as well, is a beta version. (i am from the Netherlands).

I removed myself from this list and I am waiting for the latest stable version.

I gues that this will fix the issue. There is nothing more I can check.

I found on the internet more issue related to this firmware version. Try it: search in google for 1.23.82244 firmware

Chromecast firmware versions

Here's an overview of the fixes and improvements included in the latest firmware update for Chromecast (1st gen), Chromecast, and Chromecast Audio devices. Current Preview Program firmware version 

Firmware version 1.23.84839 are currently available to all Chromecast (1st gen) devices. 

Thanks for the response, but I do not have the Preview Program option selected for either of my Chromecasts. Is there another place other than the Google Home app where that would have been selected?

Anyway, I'm not part of the beta program, so I don't believe that is it.

Hi

I'm experiencing the same problem when streaming certain songs from either my pc or smartphone. 

At first I thought there was a problem with my speakers, but after using spotify on my computer and simply using HDMI to my receiver instead of casting the sound was just fine. So it seems like it only happens when the spotify app for chromecast is used.

I just tried playing the song 'Human Nature' you referred to, and my speakers start popping like crazy.

I hope there'll be a fix soon. I'm using the 1st gen chromecast btw.

I have the same exact issue. And it's driving me crazy.

Isn't there a way to escalate this post up to spotify support or something?

+1 I have the exact same issue with chromecast blips...

Yes, same here. Still no cause or resolution found? 😞

I have the precisely exact same problem!

I can extent the list of songs with blips on chromecast:

• Josh Butler - What is Real? - 0IxIR7lDO30wyVu5z3ioCk

It happens at the following timecodes:
mm:ss
00:28
00:30
04:44

I have already message spotify about the problem 6 months ago, but they are completely ignoring me. Very obvious lack of commitment to quality by spotify!

Hi,
I tried it with my Chromecast audio and blips are not there. Big difference
is the optical connection vs hdmi...
Maureen

So heres my latest update. Instead of waiting for spotify or google to fix that sound issue which only happens on Chromecast HDMI, which they obviously are unable to or don't want to fix in the last two years, I just got myself an additional chromecast Audio and connected it via Toslink to my system. Bam! Blips gone!

Sometimes software can be such a complicated business - often even politically - that getting another piece of hardware can be the easiest solution now and then, instead of waiting for those big companies to fix their operations.

And one advantage: I can now see my photos on my TV via the HDMI Chromecast, and at the same time listen music via the Toslink Chromecast. 

And one more advantage: The chromecast Audio gives a much more snappy music rendering experience. With the HDMI Chromecast I always had to wait a few seconds when switched the track. Super annoying. The Toslink Chromecast won't make you wait for this kind of task. Glad that I bought it. Self do, self have xD

No fix yet? It's really annoying and I don't feel like buying a chromecast audio just because of that.

I'm having the same issue. 

Suggested posts