Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Yamaha AV Receiver and Android how does it work

Solved!

Yamaha AV Receiver and Android how does it work

Hello, I use an apperently  a spotify enabled yamaha receiver. I need help how to get spotify run at this AV receiver.

I use no apple devices only android phones tabs etc.

Thanks 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Great
The APP alles to change sound quality in streaming mode. Has anybody checked if this has an effect for The Yamaha sound as well. My hearing is not young enough to realize a difference

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@shaffirram wrote:

@Joe

in a different forum there's this guy who claims to use this AV model well with Spotify Connect

Can anyone else have successfully used RX-V673 with Spotify Connect?

RX-V673 does not support Spotify and Your screenshot of the app confirms this, You don't have a Spotify input.

Anyone who claims it works is probably using Airplay.

Marked as solution

The bad news is that connect only works with specific chipsets so I would guess that Yamaha hasn't issued a firmware update as the receiver doesn't have hardware compatibility.

However, there are now several inexpensive ways of adding connect to older systems. I particularly like Fon's Gramafon.

122 Replies

What type of receiver is it? 

If its designed for Spotify Connect, I don't think Yamaha have released the firmware update needed for it to work yet.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yamaha RX-V675

napster works fine and vtuner as well.

According to Yamaha Yamaha Music Europe in Finland, I got this somewhat promising bit

of info about firmware updates for the Yamaha RX-V series AV Receivers:

" I'm sorry to say that this Spotify Connect firmware is not available yet.
What I know or have heard,  is that there is still instability between
Spotify Connect feature and Android devices. It basically means that until

Spotify get this nice feature stability to 100% level, we are unable to

bring new firmware to our receivers.

There is no point to do software and repair it continually.

Of course, until connect feature is in our receivers you may stream Spotify
from your tab or phone to our receiver with Airplay or Music Play function.

But it will come, I hope sooner than later, and my quest for the time is
mid of January 2014.

Thank You and Merry Xmas !"

Thank you , I use in the meantime a bluetooth connection to my receiver.
What would be the benefit oft this "Connecticut" APP?

I'm not familiar with that app. I googled it and it went to the state of Connecticut, USA.

Do you have a link?

@superior9 wrote:

According to Yamaha Yamaha Music Europe in Finland, I got this somewhat promising bit

of info about firmware updates for the Yamaha RX-V series AV Receivers:

" I'm sorry to say that this Spotify Connect firmware is not available yet.
What I know or have heard,  is that there is still instability between
Spotify Connect feature and Android devices. It basically means that until

Spotify get this nice feature stability to 100% level, we are unable to

bring new firmware to our receivers.

There is no point to do software and repair it continually.

Of course, until connect feature is in our receivers you may stream Spotify
from your tab or phone to our receiver with Airplay or Music Play function.

But it will come, I hope sooner than later, and my quest for the time is
mid of January 2014.

Thank You and Merry Xmas !"

Thanks for sharing!

Thats just great, now Yamaha is blaming Spotify... And, talking about problems on Android and then suggesting to use AirPlay... Really?! Whats that "Music Play function", i have never heard about it? So now it's mid January, last i heard was first week of January (which actually made sense because of CES 2014).

If there are problems with Connect on Android, how does that not effect Pioneer devices? Connect has worked for me on Android without any problems.

I should have known better... I bought a new RX-A830 only because i wanted Spotify Connect. Never should have bought it before the firmware is released.

EDIT: OK, Music Play is the function thats in Yamaha AV Controller app and lets you stream local content to Yamaha AVR. How can we use that for Spotify? Can you ask them?

The Yamaha is soo good spotify is only a little add on
Napster is also good .

@hhrhd wrote:
The Yamaha is soo good spotify is only a little add on
Napster is also good .

Yeah i know that Yamaha receivers are good, i had RX-A810 which was working perfectly fine. I bought a new RX-A830 only because i wanted Spotify Connect, so this little add on cost me ~800 Euros.

Yeah, it's true what you say.

It's a bummer, but at least there is still hope.

I did reply to Yamaha Finland with your question about how Pioneer (and Onkyo) support SC via Android, as politely as I could.

It must be a hardware issue on Yamaha's end?? I hope they don't leave us in the dust on this one. I reckon there are EU consumer laws protecting us here (false advertising), maybe I need to look into that and find something that works out of the box.

I doubt our consumer laws will help here and lets hope that the firmware update will be released eventually.
If you get any new information then please share it here. Yamaha customer support is non existent in my country.

Have you noticed that there is not a word about Spotify Connect on Yamaha USA website, but European website has Spotify Connect banners everywhere? I wonder why that is...

I still wait for Yamaha Europe to answer my question re. Spotify.

As I said Witz a Phillips Bluetooth receiver (30€) connected to " audio in" it is easy to stream spotify from your smart Android device to the receiver.

Since we have in Germany DAB /DAB+ I use the technisat DSB+ digitalradio100
device 60€ It has Bluetooth integrated as well. With DAB+ you get critsall clear Radio perception. Substitutes 30% oft spotify if not more

Great that you're happy, but spotify and Yamaha promised this feature - and we have paid for it - but they're not keeping their end of the bargain.

I'm getting more and more angry about this, because I just bought an android tablet for my daughter who's the biggest user of spotify in the house and she's apparently out of luck!

I think Yamaha should give us their expensive Bluetooth dongle if they don't sort this out soon.

Happy New Year!

Today I got answer from Yamaha Europe. They confirmed that the spotify update will be available apparently during the curse of  the  next 4 Weeks. They got this information directly from Yamaha Japan..  As long there is no new tsunami....

During new year’s eve I used spotify by connecting my tablet directly to the receiver...from my guests I heard very negative complaints that the sound was very much compressed.  

We than did a comparison with a identical sound track

A    Original CD -> Yamaha

B) Amazon local mp3 file form a computer ---> Yamaha

C) spotify   via aux connection -> Yamaha 

Always in straight modus and equal sound levels

The result was shocking

A and B very similar

C = Spotify was substantial worse a complete different sound too cool to less bass no capacity 

I decided to stay with amazon mp3 and the original CDs and will cancel spotify.

Spotify is a typical application for the youngster used to compromise quality for trendiness.

Same is true by the way with photo shooting.  Recently I did at night a city excursion. From 25+ attendees I was the nearly the only one using a real camera all others where shooting with their smart devices.  

80% of their photos where complete rubbish whereas I had a default rate of max 3%. I could use my photos for nice postings. If you search within google+ for   #rmds #jeddah   you can have look at some of them.

So we should for the time being not expect too much quality from music streams. Especially if millions want to hear eventually at the same time similar music. Spotify has apparently to reduce the bandwidth to serve all customers.

I will cancel my spotify account

Which Spotify account do you have hhrhd?

Audio quality aside, one must admit that Spotify does provide QUANTITY.

I think you would be hard pressed to find 6 jillion mp3s and CDs at your fingertips for 10 bucks a month.

A    Original CD -> Yamaha

B) Amazon local mp3 file form a computer ---> Yamaha

C) spotify   via aux connection -> Yamaha 

Always in straight modus and equal sound levels

... by the way, a fatal flaw in your experiment might be your different output devices. Tablets are not as solid an audio source as your CD player or computer.

If you are passing sound to the Receiver via an AUX cable for Spotify and not for others that will ruin your sound quality too.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I checked with my earplugs from my tablet no difference to aux.

I will recheck after I have The spotify APP in my receiver

Yes volumen is impressive. However I miss moods for oder people 40+ and 50+

@hhrhd wrote:

I will recheck after I have The spotify APP in my receiver

How?

I thought you were canceling your account. 😉

Suggested posts