Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

last.fm error: wrong username or password.

Solved!

last.fm error: wrong username or password.

Hi,

Since I installed spotify on my new phone, I get an error when trying to activate last.fm scrobbling. It tells me "wrong username or password" while the same credentials work fine on the last.fm website. I already changed my password but no change.
I have spotify version 2.0.0.702 on Android 4.4.4 (Sony Xperia Z3).

Anyone any idea?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Make sure that you aren't putting any extra spaces after the username or something like that.

I've heard extra spaces was causing the problem for some people.

Just a tip to help

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Marked as solution

Make sure that you aren't putting any extra spaces after the username or something like that.

I've heard extra spaces was causing the problem for some people.

Just a tip to help

MattSudaSpotify Star

I remember a user who got it fixed by going to offline mode and back

Hey Matt,

You were indeed right, my phone was automatically adding a space after my username.

Quite embarrassing 😕

Thanks!

B

Ahh, no problem. 😃

It happens 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I had to get a new phone. I have forgotten my Spotify user name or/password. I looked on my credit card and they are charging me for premium. How can I get my username ?   

I signed up with Spotify thinking that I would not really use it. But then I soon upgraded to primium. My credit card gets hit every month with the charge, but I can NOT use primium. There appears NOT to be anyone at Spotify that I can talk to about billing. There is no way for me to figure out what email that I used. Its been 7 months now so I had to call my credit card company and file a dispute for lack of service in order to stop the billing. 

There should be a way to figure out what email I have associated with the primium spotify. 

HELP more please...

Matt

Currently I see this message on my Spotify App "Wrong Last FM name/password ..." or something in this way. 6 hours ago, everything was working fine on my iOs app. Since than I've nothing changed. But during the last hour some user have posted this issue on Last.FM too. (https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/unable-to-change-password-connect-last-fm-to-spotify)
I've renewed my LFM data, I've logged out and in on Spotify and renewed my LFM data without success. Is this a Spotify issue? Or a LFM site problem? In first case: Please fix this.
---
Works again! Problem solved. 🙂
For further information look here: https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/suddenly-password-wrong?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bf...
image.jpg

I met the wierd problem too. I tried to change the password of last.fm and it worked. 

In between this issue was sometimes reported on GetSatisfaction (Last.fm community support) and the logout/login solution was helping every time. I guess to this redundant solution fits a redundant problem. Maybe it's a server site problem of LFM, maybe a Spotify issue, who knows. As long as this old classic Microsoft dance works, everything is fine. :-))

I am still having this problem, and none of the posted solutions work.  My email is verified in last.fm. I uninstalled the iphone app and reinstalled.  I am not able to set up scrobble in the desktop app either.  I have logged in and out of last.fm several times to verify the crentials I am using are correct.  They get me into last.fm just fine.  I have checked to make sure no extra spaces are being entered.  There is no caps lock.  However, when I try the crenditions in spotify settings it says, "Incorrect Last.fm Crendentials".  I did have to do email verification earlier today in last.fm since I had not logged in for a while.  I will try again tomorrow in case some kind of overnight process is needed to make my account available to spotify.

Used to have this same issue for years, but now i've just changed my last.fm password, and it works like charm. Well, for me at least.

I have the same problem with my new phone. I can't get last.fm to work. It keep saying "wrong username or password". Nothing I've tried is working.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy J3

It is annoying, but when this happened to me, I went to last.fm, and changed to a new password there.  Then the new credentials worked on my phone.  

I changed my password. Last.fm still not working.

Possible solution: maybe your user name is not what you think it is!

Okay, pretty stupid, but it was the case with me. Somehow I thought my username should be my mailadress, when in fact, it was something else. Maybe Last.fm made me believe my mailadres was the username by sometime asking for my mailadres, or autofilling my mailadres as username, but appearently that was wrong. (I'm not sure this makes sence)

Maybe just maybe, someone here is doing the same thing wrong and this post helps!

Roland.

I have checked my username. It's correct same as when I login at Last.fm or Spotify on laptop. 

Worked perfectly for me!

I believe that my password was old and not secure enough.

Changed it and worked perfectly on Windows and Android

Changing the password worked for me too. It seems that there are new passowrd restriction on last.fm... My old password was not meeting them. My guess is that the api does not work with the old passwords since they do not meet the requirements. So it is not recognized eventhough it works to log in on the last.fm site. 

Updating the password worked for me. 

Suggested posts