Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Car Thing iPhone Volume Bug

Solved!

Car Thing iPhone Volume Bug

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 13 Pro

Operating System

iOS 15.1

My Question or Issue

When starting my car, my phone's Bluetooth will connect to my Car Thing before it connects to my car radio. When my phone connects to my car radio, my phone's volume automatically sets itself back to whatever it was last time I was connected to my car radio.

Here's where the issue comes in, my Car Thing will remember my phone's volume before connecting to my car and next time I attempt to adjust my phone's volume, it will set it self back down to whatever volume Car Thing remembers (before connecting to my car radio).

This can create another issue when my phone's volume is initially zero since Car Thing will show "Phone Volume: 0" instead of playback controls. Is there any way to have Car Thing update its phone volume value every so often to fix this?

Thanks  

31 Replies

Unfortunately, the bug has persisted on my device since the update. It has happened twice since the update was installed.

I agree.  The problem still persists.  The update did not fix it.

Still broken for me too. Sad. It should be such an easy fix. Check with the phone to see what the volume is set at after playback begins. Display that volume on the screen. Surely it can't be that complicated.

Edit: I also want to note that my phone now only connects to the Car Thing like 50% of the time. When this happens I have to reboot it in order to get it to connect.

Also, I can now no longer swipe away the Spotify media controls in the notification pulldown. The only way to dismiss it is to force close the app. No other media player exhibits this behavior so I know it's Spotify.

These behaviors began the day the backend fix was posted about, which was the same day that Spotify was down for an extended period of time.

Marked as solution

I have a temporary fix for IOS users using Shortcuts:

- Create an automation that triggers when connected to your CAR's bluetooth (not CarThing)

- Make the automation do the following:

Wait 5 seconds, set volume to 100% (or whatever your desired phone volume is).

20220315_212031000_iOS.jpg

This will restore the playback bar when the automation is triggered and will update the volume on CarThing.

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

@danielbarker126, @bluerocket and @iamtyy Could you please share with us the exact CarThing app version that you're using?

You can find it in the Settings > About page of the CarThing.

We'll pass the info on to the right team.

Keep us in the loop. 

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

App Version: 0.26.41

App version 0.27.51.

I confirmed the bug persists today.  Pixel 4a running stock android 11 (haven't updated to android 12 yet).

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and confirmations. 

We've passed this information along to the right team that will have a closer look into this.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else in the meantime.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

(iPhone 11 Pro)

Operating System

(iOS 15)

My Question or Issue

Most times right after vehicle start-up, the volume will start at a violently high volume level that nearly blows my Door Speakers and/or Subwoofer. Volume control on my factory head-unit won’t work in this instance  and I’m only able to pause from the CarThing itself. Even if my factory head-unit is turned down to a very low level, to the point that you can almost not hear any sound, it will still extremely loudly play music for a brief second after I’ve started my truck, or sometimes a second after I’ve turned off my vehicle. I’m unsure why I still bother using this device because I haven’t found a resolution yet. 

there is a circle. turn it to the right and you should be able to adjust it from 0-10 left is lower volume and right is raise volume

Wow what a solution! You mean adjusting the volume adjusts the volume? Mind blown.

Hi I’m still having a problem where when I turn the dial to reduce the volume it just stays he same and is been happening for about 4 weeks not sure if it was the update that caused this 4 weeks ago

Suggested posts