Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

ALBUMS REMOVED FROM SPOTIFY

ALBUMS REMOVED FROM SPOTIFY

The following albums were removed from Spotify Service as of today that I know of:

Olivia Newton-John - Gold

SoulDecision - No One Does It Better

Shania Twain - Come On Over (International Edition)

Cathy Dennis - Move To This

I just played Make A Move On Me by ONJ just a couple days ago and then it is completely gone!!!!!.  WHY???!!!!!

12 Replies

Hi @gtomaro44, thanks for writing!

Spotify wants all the world’s music on Spotify. However, some artists and tracks aren't currently available. Sometimes agreements can’t be reached with the artist or label or a change may happen in music ownership.

However, please know thousands of albums and artists are added to Spotify every day. If you can’t find an artist you’re looking for, they may appear (or reappear) soon.

In the meantime, feel free to contact the artist or their label through their social media channels to ask about it.

Regarding Shania's album, I guess this is the one, right? 

https://open.spotify.com/album/4UMe0Ods7kygK6OISasZe9?si=l8pwWjPtTi-cl-nW3YuuyQ

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Isn't the form response, which is both insulting to our intelligence and reproduced umpteen bazillion times in this forum, absolutely awesome?

Somebody somewhere in Daniel Ek's inner circle knows exactly why there was a precision strike on a few ONJ songs today (including "Soul Kiss," the only hit single from an album that is otherwise available--an utterly despicable practice from labels that has been happening a lot of late).

It is clearly an unspoken policy of the Spotify Community that no specific explanation shall ever be given for the disappearance of certain songs, and instead, the banal form text above shall always be given in response to inquiries.  SOMEBODY knows the specifics.  But they are not allowed to tell, and the labels certainly won't respond to us.

In the meantime, can we get confirmation that Mr. Ek has, in fact fired the certifiable **bleep** who decided to end the database matching feature for local files?  It is hard to imagine that such a shameful dismissal for such obvious idiocy would not have happened, and yet it certainly hasn't been restored.  My faith in good customer service is taking a real beating.

Right album, wrong version. The International Version removed all twang/country elements and is more pop and mainstream, and many people prefer that version to the original that you have listed here.

Hey @kneeclaws @gtomaro44 and @hansenkd we're onto trying to get Shania and Cathy back online. Cathy we think could be deliberately done by Universal ahead of a full worldwide re-issue (it seems Move To This was only available in the US and in the UK - the latter as a Deluxe version which is still there).

If you want more info on what we do to get music (back) onto Spotify etc - www.popmusicactivism.com

@bittencourt 's advice of contacting the artist/ label by social media isn't that effective. Someone like Shania would never notice a tweet to her and the people who monitor the social media accounts at the major labels are so far removed from the catalogue teams that the message would never get through.

Hey @PopMusicActivis, thanks for sharing this.

I'm sure your efforts are far more effective than just a tweet from a fan. It generally works for "smaller" artists and all the ones who have a considerate social media team, though. At least they get an answer.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Out of interest @bittencourt how does one contact a Spotify user?

Basically a user has created playlists of the old Now That's What I Call Music albums but when they created them not all tracks were available. Since then we've been able to get the rightsholders to put some of the missing tracks online but sadly have no way of contacting the user to let them know they can gap fill.

Example here https://open.spotify.com/user/mcflystudio/playlist/0JvcvuXQSBAC7h1X3alPYx?si=ue4YunlRQQ-aOAWN7jVm9A

The playlust description mentions two tracks we got online last month (Thank Abba For The Music and El Pariaiso Rico)

Cheers

Hey @PopMusicActivis, this user has created another account with the same name:

https://open.spotify.com/user/lneusol53430lr47t1bfmbg1y?si=iiK-pLBwQWeQDPZMqL4kdg

But it seems there's no contact (there should be a n e-mail link or something in the playlists description for example). 

It could be http://www.mcflystudio.com but I'm not sure it's the same thing...

BittencourtSpotify Star

@PopMusicActivis, great effort!

Do we know anything about the seemingly random ONJ tracks that went missing?  The most prominent of which is "Make a Move On Me."  There is also "Soul Kiss," which represents the disgusting practice of making the hit single unavailable while the rest of the album is there.

Anyway, you should check out this thread with a compendium of missing 1980s Top 40 tracks.  It's sort of a quest to get all the Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 hits of the decade available.  Some progress has been made, but there have been big setbacks too.  For example, Mick Jagger's solo albums were removed in October, and we have very little information as to why this happened or if we can expect them back.  It has been a good three years or so that Eddy Grant's "Electric Avenue" was removed.  It's not available for digital purchase anywhere either.  It would be good to get some answers there.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/80s-Top-10-Songs-Not-on-Spotify/td-p/4372301

I have been pretty good about updating, but I need to make another go of it.  If you have the resources to look into some of these (especially those that had been available and have since been removed or those horrible examples of the hit single being unavailable while the rest of the album is available), that would be a worthy effort.

Some songs keep disappearing and reappearing.  Johnny Lee's "Lookin' for Love" was removed from the main albums a while ago, but it keeps reappearing on compilations, then disappearing again.  What is with the righs on that song?

Anyway, I have a feel good story about contacting the artist.  For a long time, the only readily available version of Charlie Dore's "Pilot of the Airwaves" has been an inferior re-recording in a key a whole step lower.  For a while last year, the original version with its parent album Where To Now appeared, licensed to Rdeg subsidiary Enterprise Music, but it disappeared again.  On a whim, I sent a FB message to the Charlie Dore account inquiring about it (all her later albums are available), and she actually replied and said she would look into it!  Not too long after that, the Where To Now album was made available again in full, now with an additional copyright to Island Records, the original label.  What I don't know is if the re-recording is actually Charlie Dore's voice (I suspect not), but Spotify should remove it now that the original is available.

I was also able to get word from somebody directly connected to Barry Gibb about his album Now Voyager and its U.S. Top 40 single "Shine, Shine."  It was available before the Bee Gees moved their catalog to Universal.  It seems there is a conflict between Barry being licensed to Sony as a solo artist but to Universal as a Bee Gee.  So they know something is up--whether they will actually do anything about making the album and its Top 40 single available I don't know.

Keep up the good work!  It is needed.  In an age where Taylor Swift, Def Leppard, Peter Gabriel, Bob Seger, and Prince are now available, it is becoming increasingly absurd to have any unavailability at all anymore.

As for my 1980s Top 40 list, perhaps a good place to start would be the two missing #1 hits: Irene Cara's "Flashdance...What a Feeling," along with its album that contains three other Top 40 hits, and Toni Basil's "Mickey."  Then move to #2, where the most glaring problem is the aforementioned "Electric Avenue."

SoulDecision is still completely removed as an artist.

They are gone from like EVERY streaming platform, too. I have been losing my darn mind trying to find a way to get my "Faded" fix. I couldn't even BUY it on iTunes. I had to buy it through Amazon. I am so curious about what happened. It seems like such an obscure band to have this happen.

Firstly I don't really care about "albums" on the whole, I care about songs.

Hit songs that were on Spotify suddenly get removed, some of them 1950s songs and it seems copyrights never expire anymore but I'd like to see copyright rules changed anyway - yeah let them claim money but they can't block the music from being on streaming sites or have it exclusive to just one.

Why are so many Pat Boone songs missing? Not that I'm a great fan of his, he did some decent songs though but when I run through the 1950s I want to listen to every hit. Although at least he's still alive. I find music from dead artists removed.

Why is so little Lynsey De Paul music on Spotify? She died a few years ago, so certainly didn't tell you to remove it.

Why is Patti Page's "Left Right Out Of My Heart" missing? All her other hits are on here, and she's also been dead a number of years so not really in a position to tell you not to have that song. Just because it wasn't on some Patti Page compilation or whatever doesn't mean you can't make an effort to find it.

A lot of Alan Price music has been added recently but no "Jarrow Song" nor the album it came from. Did you just not get round to it yet?

Some music that is on deezer isn't on here. But I'm not going to subscribe to another streaming site, why should I have to pay double or treble or whatever?

Bring back ALL of Daniel Johnston's music! It's so wrong to just go removing it FOUR WHOLE DAYS after I started listening to him.

Suggested posts