Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Aladdin Sndtrk missing tracks

Aladdin Sndtrk missing tracks

It seems that all of the Robin Williams tracks from Disney's Aladdin soundtrack are unlisted on the album / unavailable. I'm sure there is some simple "contract issue" or something and I'm not expecting anything to be done about this - but I just wanted a place to bitch and this seemed more productive than opening a Ticket. Dammit - I wanted to listen to Friend Like Me.
13 Replies

Not every album or song is available on Spotify. Some artists and music labels choose not to release to Spotify.

The only thing Spotify does is upload the music that is sent to them. You can find out why some songs/artists are not on Spotify over here.

Some music labels only release to certain countries while blocking the release from the rest.

It's all about who owns the rights to the music and where they want it released to.

Music would be better if labels didn't block their releases from certain countries, but sadly this is how the music business works.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I noticed the same thing. They were there when I originally grabbed the album a few months ago. Those were great songs. Hopefully it's fixed. 😞

The songs came back for awhile and now they're gone again. Rest in peace Robin 😞

SO HOW CAN WE CHANGE THIS?

Robin Williams was an amazing man and did an awesome job potraying genie in Aladdin. Yet when i go to listen to a song that he sung in Aladdin, the song wasnt available and i was left dissapointed. I just want to point out to spotify and whoever spotify is fighting over this song with that Robin Williams would have wanted us to enjoy his music even after he's gone. I enjoy the Aladdin the soundtrack as well as many other people and the fact that people want to fight over the song rights is stupid, why not let people still enjoy something Robin William made even after he has past away. 

- I'd like a repy from spotify.

My Windows phone uses the official Spotify app, and when I searched for Never had a friend like me, it was listed in a playlist for the original motion picture soundtrack, along with Prince Ali. But when I tried to add them to my playlist, it said the song was added, though it didn't show up. Everytime I tried to add it, my total song count went up on all my devices, and when I searched for the song on all my other devices, the playlist contained all the songs but Friend Like Me and Prince Ali. So, both these songs were originally on Spotify, but now their hidden.

They're*

Its not just Spotify. Apple music's 'Aladdin' soundtrack has the Neyo version, but not the Robin Williams version. Haven't figured out why, but I'm guessing its a legal dispute.

The thing that makes it so weird is that those songs use to be on Spotify, it's the same with Apple music/iTunes but they have been taken off for whatever reason. Pandora will still play Robin Williams songs such as in Aladdin but no where else seems to now that he's dead and it's upsetting. For some people listening to his songs are uplifting and even a way to honor him. I feel like it's something that needs to be fixed on Spotifys part.

The tracks are missing for a very specific reason.  Robin Williams was reluctant to do voicework for Disney, because he disagrees with their business practices.  He was finally pursuaded to do "Alladin" but he specified that Disney was only allowed to use his work in specific ways.  Well, as soon as Alladin was released, Disney immediately violated the contract they had made with Williams and exploited the "Genie" character, used the songs in commercials, etc.  And so Williams sued for breach of contract and now any of his voice work is not available outside the movie itself.

I figured this out a little while ago, and it made me a little sad. Aladdin was, hands down, my favorite movie as a kid. I would watch it whenever my parents were arguing, and I would wish for genie to take me away from my life (lol). Seems pretty ridiculous now that I think about it. Still, Prince Ali was my favorite song from the soundtrack, and it's absence saddens me. I feel like having Robin Williams's songs stricken from the album dishonors his work. Just my honest opinion.

Screenshot_2016-08-30-16-56-50.jpg

As far as I remember, Williams had it as part of all his contracts that his voice couldn't be used following his death of any circumstances. He didn't waht them using it however they wanted. Because they own the rights to his performance their only option would be to give up rights to the song and not profit from its existence. He actually did want it this way.

Disney had to ditch the plans when they discovered Williams’ will prevents them from using his name, taped performances or voice recordings for 25 years after his death.

Source article:

https://nypost.com/2015/11/08/robin-williams-will-prevents-use-of-outtakes-for-aladdin-sequel/

Suggested posts