Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Multiple artists with same name

Solved!

Multiple artists with same name

I'm not sure whether I should see this as a bug, feature, or something else. Although I have found great music this way, it kinda annoys me when Spotify lists music from multiple artists with the same name as music from one and the same artist.

Examples:

Julian Angel - For a Ghost: French singer/songwriter

Julian Angel - Choreography sucks: German rock ... thing

Everest - On a Approach: American indie alt-country band

Everest - Velocell: Swiss electronic ambient duo

So, Sportify, is it possible to list these artists as separate artists instead of making it seem they're one and the same?

73 Replies

Hi David,

I just wanted to notify you that We Are by Cha-Cha appears on the same page as Black Sun by The Spaceape

They are not the same band and are not connected. Another band called Cha-Char appears on the Spaceape album.

Thanks,

Nadine

Hey Nadine! Welcome to the community 🙂

You can report any content errors/issues such as these directly to the Spotify content team using the instructions outlined in this topic. Once you have submitted a query, the content team will investigate and then pass any needed details over to the record label to request a correction/change if needed (so it can take some time unfortunately!).

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I reported two dating back to late June and late May that haven't been fixed.

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull

True Believers Alexandro Escoveda's band from the 90s

But they DID combine MOST of "Rolling Stones" with "The Rolling Stones"

@Rollo_ wrote:

I reported two dating back to late June and late May that haven't been fixed.

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull

True Believers Alexandro Escoveda's band from the 90s

But they DID combine MOST of "Rolling Stones" with "The Rolling Stones"

Annoyingly, like other content errors I'm almost certain the artists names in the metadata would have to be changed by the record label rather than Spotify. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

The displayed names are likely just database entries and should be able to be fixed easily.  Can't remember the artist, I should have saved it, but a couple months ago I found two identically named artist pages.  My guess is that there is a third party, other than Spotify or the content providers, that actually maintains the databases.  They may even maintain the database for other providers, and possibly the actual streaming service itself.

However it is done, this is where the problem occurs.

I've noticed this as well. See I listen to coco Jones and I've noticed there is 3 on spotify yet 2 out of the 3 is the same person and I want to merge these 2 together and there is another coco Jones that I want listed as a separate artist and it says she appears on an album yet it doesn't have anything to do with her so we should fix this because it's annoying. Is there anything we can do about this.

The comedy music artist Julian Smith is a popular Youtuber who makes songs once in a while among some skits. That artist name mixed him with what appears to be...many other people. His songs are:

(Singles)

Techno Jeep

I Got My Mac On with iPhone 3GS

Grandma Like Whoa

Jellyfish

Red Eye Flashes Twice

Racist Coffee

Jeffery's Christmas Melody

I'm Reading A Book

Stuck Inside Your Head

Nice Hotel

Eat Randy

Never Get Naked In Your Shower

Oh, Jeffery 

(Albums)

Kidnapped (Original Soundtrack)

The Kidnapped album is under "Appears On" and is listed as various artists (Julian Smith and Jeffery Dallas). Jeffery Dallas is technically Julian Smith acting as his imaginary cousin, so all the spotify songs by Jeffery Dallas (Akbar and Gone) could be listed under Julian Smith (Youtuber) also, instead of seperating them.

I haven't been using Spotify very long, so maybe I just haven't figured things out yet, but the same-name problem really seems to screw up radio stations based on an artist who has a "namesake" too. Please fix this!

Please, need a fix on this!

Are going under the artist name "Mader"

Searching for it brings up several others that is not even in the same genre.

I for example are doing house music, i have two tracks "Touchdown" and "Highway", using radio on any of those two house tracks or the artist name, brings up some jazz music.. Please for godsake fix this. Use some login method for artist or a split feature for logged in artists so i can choose which tracks are mine..

Hello,
Could you fix: Beltaine?
There are three bands with same name.
Oldest one polish Beltaine - folk/celtic music which recroded: Rockhill (2004), KoncenTrad (2007), TriÚ (2010 - not on Spotify), Live (2011 - not on Spotify), Mijusik (2015)

Second one, american Beltaine - also folk, which recorded: String Fling (2005), Winter Wing (2006), Jump at Samhain's Fire (2011)

Thrid Beltaine, I couldn't find any info, but on Spotify their CD is named - Beltaine (2012).

Thanks 🙂

Hey @Oktek

Thanks for your post.

We'd love to take a look at this and will report to our Content team right away.

In the future, should you notice any further errors like this, please check out this link on how to report them 🙂

I hope this helps.

That link doesn't contain any solution to the bands with the same name problem. People have been complaining for years about this problem and nothing is ever done about it.  Really annoying like many other things about Spotify. Little competition so why bother.

Annoying...

The error reporting system is self linked and not producing a page to report problems.  🙂 

That i can report... 🙂

Yep, definitely not a solution. The links just loop to each other endlessly...

So, will it be fixed? 3 years and still no correct solution, is it such a big deal? I've got a lot of mess in my subscriptions because of this, the latest I saw was Element - at least 5 bands on the same page, and I wanna be subscribe and receive updates only about one of them.

Ok, I see, it won't be solved, at least not in the nearest future, but I discovered a new related problem. Not long ago I received a new notification about the band called Nails and It turned out that it's some country crap under the same name, not grindcore act from my subscriptions. It may seem common BUT this country band has separate account and I'm NOT subscribed to it. Clean up this mess, Spotify!

Yep, that happens when the archivists cannot distinguish between identical names, technical wise. We had this problem with an asset management system once too. Bad thing, if the usability of such an archive tool influences the user experience of paying customers!

This can be a pain - It would be great if there was some way of keeping them separate.

Pearl - the Pleasure album and the Love Slave single are by one person (Pearl, AKA Pearl Liaison), but the other two singles (Hello and I Will) and the album Reflection are by other people with the same name. 

Suggested posts