Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Question about a missing song

Solved!

Question about a missing song

So I wanted to listen to the Cars Soundtrack and noticed the best song on the album is missing. Route 66 by John Mayer. I can't figure out why this one song is missing. John Mayer is on Spotify as are several other versions of Route 66 (Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones and Depeche Mode are the notable ones). Does anyone know why John Mayer's version isnt' available?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @minizilla30

Spotify likely does not have permission from the artist for that song to be available.

Spotify tries really hard to get music available on their service, but in the end the availability of music on Spotify is up to the artist and their music label.

This thread by Spotify staff explains why some music is not available:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/I-want-an-artist-song-on-Spotify/td-p/1136005

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @minizilla30

Spotify likely does not have permission from the artist for that song to be available.

Spotify tries really hard to get music available on their service, but in the end the availability of music on Spotify is up to the artist and their music label.

This thread by Spotify staff explains why some music is not available:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Content-Questions/I-want-an-artist-song-on-Spotify/td-p/1136005

MattSudaSpotify Star

Sorry for not responding sooner, the holidays have been hectic. 

I understand that some artists aren't on Spotify - Tool comes to mind. However, if you read my original post, the artist, John Mayer, IS on Spotify. As are several versions of the song in question. So your answer really didn't answer my question. 

Edit: I just took my own advice and re-read your reply, @MattSuda. John Mayer is on Spotfy, but you said he probably hadn't given permission for the one song. Dumb me, not reading things through. Sorry for sounding snarky....

@minizilla30

No problem! I misread stuff sometimes too.

Unavailable music is always a mystery but when it's unavailable it's because the artist or music label has not given it the green light to be on Spotify. Albums are released in full so if just one song is not given the green light then it will show on the album but it will not be playable.

MattSudaSpotify Star

John mayer cannot legally release the song on spotify due to spotify paying royalties to original artist, most covers are not found on spotify unless the original artist or writer gives permission for song to be used. Also they need to obtain the publishing rights first. John mayer is and was independent when he did the cover for the movie, So non-label artists need to obtain a mechanical license for streaming someone else's song (a sync license for video) and pay royalties to the original songwriter each time a cover is streamed. Hence why it is not on there anymore. 

Suggested posts