Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Remove Censored Songs

Remove Censored Songs

I add music to Spotify and then when I am enjoying the music it cuts out where words like "pot" or "Compton" are supposed to be. How can I disable this and only listen to uncensored songs?

20 Replies

It's up to the publisher/rights-holder which version(s) they submit. Sometimes they will submit both so you just need to select the right one for your playlist. If they have only submitted the clean version then there's no other choice.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Yes but it's very hard to determine espcially when ever album could possibly have both versions and its not clearly indicated. The butchered version should be default be hidden (there could be a setting for this, since some people might have reasons to prefer the butchered version.)

Directly from Spotify 

"Spotify does not censor music in any way. We simply make the music available in whatever form it was given to us.

Albums are often released in two versions: the "explicit" and the "clean" version. Usually, both versions are available on Spotify. However, as both versions are seen as identical, they will be grouped when shown in the artist view page. Only one of these albums will be immediately visible. The other album can reached by clicking the button that displays duplicates, a small arrow to the far right-hand side next to the album title."

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

How do I display duplicate albums within the Spotify iPhone app?

Nobody wants to hear censored songs. A simple toggle in settings to hide censored songs would be ideal. This is a feature request. Thanks

Hi simonktng - The best place to give feedback/ feature requests is our Ideas Board. 

There's a similar idea to this here: Explicit Only/Edited Only Option It's worth adding your Kudos if you haven't already.

For certain songs they have different titles, such as "Lily Allen: **bleep** you" and "Lily Allen: F**k you".

I agree, there should be a way to BLOCK censored tracks.  

Career of Evil -- Blue  Öytster Cult -- alters lyric "I'd like to do it to your daughter on a dirt road".  Since the world does not comprise strictly 5 year olds, I find this meek.  We have devolved.

Censorship, not the outrageous, should be the outrage.

2016 still waiting for a button to remove censored versions

bump

What purpose would this serve but to impose app clutter to accomodate your Victorian values?  If you think you're protecting your kids, you're not.  Get over it.

@genace

Hello:

Maybe it is just me, but I went to an official lyric service, a service that pays copyright royalties to the writer of lyrics in songs, which seems to indicate for this song that Pattie Smith wrote the lyrics to this song originally.

I went to the Genius service and here below is the Link to the page, might as well allow the service to get the click through, so the original writer can get the royalty click rate provided by the service: http://genius.com/Blue-oyster-cult-career-of-evil-lyrics

If you have a more official correct lyrical content for this song, you might consider submitting the lyrics source for this song so it can be updated at the Genius service?

As that aside, as has been posted in this thread originally, content is provided as is to the Spotify service by the content providers. Labels will make the effort to provide censored and explicit album releases to the service where available. Sometimes this happens correctly sometimes it does not, and even results in explicit songs not being tagged correctly, which well needs to be corrected anyway for the Spotify users who wish to avoid the explicit songs in environments a song like that might not be appreciated i.e. school, work, playing music around children when one wishes to avoid something kind of nasty in a song around them with.

It is just common decency, having explicit music tagged properly is necessary for those in an environment, when playing rude and offensive music might cause public problems for them.

Inhibiting rude and offensive music causes a problem for us all.

i hate censored music. HOWEVER i do wish there was 'ninja' free versions of music... i mean JFC, if the n-word is so offensive, maybe dont put it in your music every other word?

No movement in 8 years? Jeez.

I've been looking for this feature in any kind of music player, ever. We *really* need legislation passed to put a big sticker on the front of any music that contains butchered audio, just like the "explicit content" warning. 

I'm much more concerned about artists being prohibited from sharing art, than hearing a word spoken aloud.

Checking back here. Can Spotify at least comment as to their interest in this feature? Censorship ruins art.

2023 Bump. Still BS, give us an option to block censored music.

Suggested posts