Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

When is Spotify going to return on Roku?

Solved!

When is Spotify going to return on Roku?

When is Spotify going to available on Roku again?

132 Replies

Here are some numbers that you'd think might light a fire under Spotify to develop and deliver a new Roku app:

• 19.3 million: Active Roku users
  • 49%: Share of over the top device video market in the U.S. making it #1 (Chromecast is #2)
  • 14.8 billion: Hours of content streamed in 2017

That's a lot of potential revenue Spotify is missing out on by not having a Roku app. As I've read through this thread - many folks upgraded to premium so they could use Spotify on several devices but primarily to use on Roku.

What's worse is the lack of/no information from Spotify. It's been over six months since the app was disabled and there's been nothing in the way of an update from Spotify. Not even a brief "We know you're anxious to use Spotify on Roku. While we don't have a timeline set, rest assured we are hard at work to bring you a new app for a great music experience."

Obviously I don't have any insights to the internal politics nor the situation with music labels wrt streaming content, but again - even a morsel of an update would be better than disappearing from Roku and then saying nothing.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been any coverage by various media outlets that specifically report on the streaming/over the top video/devices industries. Spotify is lucky.

I do not think they even read this. When I emailed back and for with support staff, they did not indicate that anything would ever be done for ROKU again. 

To the last poster, can you copy and paste what was said please?

If this is indeed the case, I'll start my Roku return now, and get a different device. If lost sales don't sort this pigsty of a mess out, nothing will.

I am beyond angry. No mention of this was on Amazon's website where I purchased the Roku, and it's blatently advertised as having a Spotify app.

I'm even more inclined to cancel my Spotify subscription over the lies that have been told. I'm old enough to remember when Yahoo purchase The All-Seeing Eye gaming browser, then abandoned it within 6 months leaving lifetime membership customers out in the cold. I never did receive a refund and have boycotted anything to do with Yahoo since.

For this to go on as long as it has, is quite frankly DISGUSTING behaviour.

The same copy and paste answers from Spotify, even on their Twitter feed is another ridiculous annoyance. It's like I'm talking to a robot who has no customer service skills whatsoever. If this sort of behaviour continues, they won't have customers anymore as they will have driven them away with lies and betrayal.

They should replace their entire "support" function with a splash page that says, "iunistall/reinstall" which is their answer to everything

@SamuraiHQ wrote:

To the last poster, can you copy and paste what was said please?

If this is indeed the case, I'll start my Roku return now, and get a different device. If lost sales don't sort this pigsty of a mess out, nothing will.

I am beyond angry. No mention of this was on Amazon's website where I purchased the Roku, and it's blatently advertised as having a Spotify app.

I'm even more inclined to cancel my Spotify subscription over the lies that have been told. I'm old enough to remember when Yahoo purchase The All-Seeing Eye gaming browser, then abandoned it within 6 months leaving lifetime membership customers out in the cold. I never did receive a refund and have boycotted anything to do with Yahoo since.

For this to go on as long as it has, is quite frankly DISGUSTING behaviour.

The same copy and paste answers from Spotify, even on their Twitter feed is another ridiculous annoyance. It's like I'm talking to a robot who has no customer service skills whatsoever. If this sort of behaviour continues, they won't have customers anymore as they will have driven them away with lies and betrayal.

I'm so shocked on how upset peope are about this. First off, shortly after the initial post, someone said that Spotify removed their software from Roku! So, unfortunately, you've purchased an older model that had Spotify on it. Second, sometimes companies change direction, it happens... They future trends and they quickly act on it, because there's too many other competitors in the same market. Third, why didn't you use the free version first before trying Spotify? And lastely, instead of compaining about something you can't control, or have any say in the matter, did you think about alternatives?

Most devices such as DVD/Blu-Ray players have intenet explorer on them. Just set up your wi-fi and use spotify on the web. Same sh*t...

Hmmm .. VintageNewscast put a post up that isn't there anymore that I agree with.

Anyway, I've been following this thread for a couple months and agree with part of Vintage's setiment, I as I interpreted it, that some fault comes at the hand of the consumer or there is really no fault at all.

If you truley got lied to, that's one thing. I doubt that's the case here. If you bought a product that has out of date packaging, well the sucks but no need to get your pitchforks out (for you millenials a pitchfork is a tool you do manual work in the yard with).

For what it's worth if you feel **bleep** over cancel your subscription and move on with your life. I for one don't care about the $40 bucks I spent on a device that was out of date before I left the store. That's technology. I have more than one TV and each TV has more than one HDMI port. So I picked up a Chromecast, which has its limitations too, that takes care of other things I want to do like play Spotify. It doesn't (and I researched this before buying) support other major services ("Am.... Pr..." was blocked in the post). I have no idea what Apple or Amazon's streaming device supports.

So now I use two streaming devices because everyone won't play nice together. All is good.

Good for you. Why can't others express their frustration with this flippin
organization's pathetic customer service?

Absolutely. Anyone can post their frustrations about whatever they want. That's not what I said and quality of customer service is not the original question of this thread. It's when Spotify will be available on Roku again. Bad customer service and availibility on a streaming device are two distinct issues. I was addressing Spotify not on Roku or for that matter any device. 

If I were to be honest. The truth of the matter is, I've used a number
of streaming services, and ALL their customer service SUCKS!! Why?
Because they're all outsourced! And that's something that customers have
to deal with. However, the good thing is, as a whole, Spotify works!
I've never had any major technical issues. And a huge chunk of what I
read on these boards are user related problems, not Spotify. People
really have to wake up, because companies have moved away from stellar
phone customer service. Now everything is via email and chat. So, if you
don't already have a basic understanding of how your computer is set up,
or even how to use it, your F*cked.

I just share my phone's screen on my roku/TV. Easy. Quick. Works great.

Suggesting we get a different streaming box is ridiculous. Roku is what we have, and it works well with pretty much everything else. The issue here is Spotify, not Roku.

Getting a new device is exactly what Spotify wants Roku owners to do. They are in bed with the makers of other streaming devices. I like my Roku a lot more than I like Spotify. I’ll get my music from Apple Music, my extensive iPod library and/or Pandora.

Fail.

I'm just about fed up with this nonsense.  Make it work, I have seen developers put together a Roku app in days that is every bit as complicated as using spotify.

I am far more loyal to Roku than your service.

Well... we're already on mid july and we are unable to use Spotify on Roku... IMHO, the answer from Spotify **bleep**, I think the problem is much more simpler than a new App... it's a commercial missunderstanding between Roku and Spotify, and WE(their users) are paying the price!

My point is, I'm a premium Spotify user, and a Roku User, and I don't give a fu.k about whats up between them, I want to use my Spotify service from my Roku device! At least have the **bleep** to tell your users the truth about it, and if you have no plans on developing a new app for Roku(something that for me is obvious after 6 months) be CRYSTAL CLEAR with your customers!

Yeah I’ve waited 7 months for a fix. I’m done. Spotify is bleeding subscribers left and right at this point, 16% have canceled their premium plans just in the last 3 months alone.  Article

@RokuFan wrote:
Getting a new device is exactly what Spotify wants Roku owners to do. They are in bed with the makers of other streaming devices. I like my Roku a lot more than I like Spotify. I’ll get my music from Apple Music, my extensive iPod library and/or Pandora.

Why must it be "Spotify's fault?" Why it can't be Roku's Android system is so old, it's not robust enough to work on Spotify? It's incredible our much bitcing I'm reading on this thread. This stuff happens all the time when it comes to software. Bitching in the forums isn't going to do a thing. If ya'll really that concerned, you should write a litter to both Roku and Spotify.

@y19msi4hvhs75zj wrote:

I just share my phone's screen on my roku/TV. Easy. Quick. Works great.

YES!! Finally, someone here is being proactive!!

It's not about "bitching", but as a software developer, I understand that
this is a Spotify problem as they are the service provider for the
streaming and app development... ROKU has lots of apps, all working, for
better or for worst, but there they are! Netflix works all right... so has
nothing to do with versioning nor ROKU, it Spotify decision to leave all
his customers using Roku without service... that's the fact, that's the
problem, and that's what I am complaining to my service provider!
--
Gustavo Boksar

Then you also know as a software developer, if a device is using an older OS, and can't handle the features of a third party product; OR the old OS has security issues that could make a third party product volnerable; then what's the ssense in continuing to develop for that device. Stop making everything about Spotify. Spotify is the only streaming service, that works on more devices than anyone else. I'm sure they've done everything in their power to make things work. But for whatever reason, they can't. That's it... They're way too many other alternatives to be worried about Roku... Things happen.

​Really? You are "*sure they've done everything in their power to make
things work*".

How can you even state that? Do you know that for a fact? Do you work for
them?​ Do tell, please.

Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Some of us, probably many of us
on this b!tch thread think Spotify was (and still is!) pretty shi!!y by
pulling the carpet out from their support on Roku.

You can try to help Spotify look good if you want but many here will not
believe much until they see action. Let's just deal with facts; no
posturing or guessing needed...

Side bar question: When will Spotify stop allowing songs with the 'N' word
to be published? Seems like most people in the United States can't say
that word in public without being almost arrested if not beat up by someone
because it's such a derogatory term. And I absolutely agree it's a terrible
word with extremely bad connotations. But Spotify allows "artists" on this
platform to publish "songs" using that word. What gives people?! What
would happen if that word was used in a song performed on American Idol or
the Voice? Oh, that wouldn't be allowed. OK, so where do you draw the line?
Only certain "artists" can use it? When? Why? Of course there's no
hypocrisy with this word being allowed to be used/published on this and all
other revenue generating music platforms! Seems like a messed up culture
we're living in today... But I digress. Have a great week!

Suggested posts