Wrong stats? Spotify or DistroKid?

Wrong stats? Spotify or DistroKid?

adrmac49
Regular

Hi there,

I'm an artist here on Spotify. Now, my stats are something about 2,000 streams yesterday, but Distrokid shows me slightly above 4,000 streams for yesterday. Is there something wrong with the stats of Spotify?

What happened here?

As you can see, I have on some days, completely different stats on DistroKid AND Spotify. One Day Spotify shows me for e.g. 2019-01-13 about 5100 streams, but DistroKid shows me for the same day 3741 streams. The difference are 1359 streams.

What's wrong here? Is this normal? Which source should I trust now?

thanks for help

dk streams issue.JPG
spotify stream issue.JPG
6 Replies

Re: Wrong stats? Spotify or DistroKid?

PTbeats
Composer

Is your distrokid set to only see Spotify streams? 

If not chances are those are your streams from other platforms (ie. Apple Music, dezzer, tidal, etc) that is the difference in streams. It usually takes 3 months to see banking/ stat info from other streaming services unlike Spotify. 

I would trust your artists.spotify numbers they come in daily lol 

hope this helps!! 

adrmac49
Regular

yes, only for spotify. I didn't know, that DistroKid can show me Apple stats. 

Where can I see, where the streamrates are coming from?

adrmac49
Regular

but I don't think that distrokid shows me other sources than spotify. Spotify shows me for one day over 5100 streams and DistroKid shows me 3741 streams. This means, it should be MIN 5100, because Distrokid should add the additional streams from other sources, not only spotify.

1 person liked this

PTbeats
Composer

They are just estimates but they should be real numbers when your sales/ royalty report comes out. It says that on the distro site but I’m no expert lol and did you pay for streams? Sometimes they don’t calculate properly I’ve had it happen

Highlighted
1 person liked this

peterbeau
Roadie

I believe royalties are only payed after a minimum streaming time per song (i.e. 30sec). Maybe Spotify counts every time a song is started (even 5sec streaming), and Distrokid might only show you the streams that have reached the minimum streaming time?
Just an idea...

_The_Crow_
Roadie

Spotify stats are inconsistent - so I would not rely on them. For example under music - playlists you can see the number of streams you get from your own playlists. You also get shown the number of your overall streams in the same time period. So you can compute the fraction of streams that come from your own playlists. Spotify also shows the stream fraction you get from your own playlist under 'audience', but they don't match (for me). There are other things that seem inconsistent.

SUGGESTED POSTS