[Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

Solved!

[Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

Dreadlord
Community Legend

Having trouble with Spotify on your Desktop app? Here’s what to try first.

• Search the Community

Someone might have asked your question on the Community before.
So type your issue into the search box and have a look.

• Basic troubleshooting

Go through these steps one at a time. They can help you solve most issues on your own.

1. Clear Spotify cache
killall spotify
rm -rf $HOME/.cache/spotify/Storage

2 Check this thread for troubleshooting connection issues.

3 Ask a friend or family member to sign into Spotify on your Desktop. See if the issue is persisting on their account too. If yes, the issue is the device and can likely be solved with more troubleshooting.
4. Change settings within the app: Sync quality, Stream Quality, Gapless Playback, Crossfade. See if a different combination of these settings makes a difference.

• Advanced troubleshooting 

1. Is spotify starting normally?

spotify

1. Can you play a sound?

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

2. Is the system recognizing your sound card?

aplay -l

3. Is Spotify running on prefered sound card? Change between sound cards in gnome/unity control center.

unity-control-center sound
gnome-control-center sound

4. Nothing works so far? Report your issue!

spotify >$HOME/spotify-dump.txt 2>&1

or

strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1
  • Report your issue

We’ll need as much information as you can provide. So filling in this template is helpful:

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

1. Your device and operating system:
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using:
  4. Brief description of the issue:
  5. Steps to reproduce the issue:

• First I did this
  • Then I did that
  • I also did this

6. Attach the spotify-dump.txt ( $HOME/spotify-dump.txt ) from Advanced troubleshooting 4.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Known issues : 

Error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11 - fix debian / fix ubuntu.

Spotify on Linux doesn't play local mp3 files - fix.

Tips :

Add Spotify's testing repository:

echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

Install Spotify 0.9.17

sudo apt-get install spotify-client-0.9.17

Some information and template is taken from here.

Linux is not officialy supported by Spotify.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | Website |
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

12 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Dreadlord
Community Legend

Hey @corvusd,

Can you upgrade your client to 1.19 and see if the issue persists?

Link to the package can be found here.

Twitter | Website |

View solution in original post

Solution!

Dreadlord
Community Legend

Hey @corvusd,

This package is part of the testing repository, so some things may still not work and come up with later patches.

Here is how to add the testing repo:

echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

Twitter | Website |

Solution!

Dreadlord
Community Legend

Hello everyone,

Just a quick heads up that you can still install the old version ( 0.9.17 ) of Spotify via the repository if the 1.24 client is not working well for you.

sudo apt-get install spotify-client-0.9.17

Hope this helps!

Twitter | Website |

Solution!

osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

@vazerick I'd recommend downgrading to a previous version, until they iron out some stuff in the current version. I'm using 0.9.11.27 and feels much better with Cinnamon.

osorniosRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Solution!

ramedeiros
Regular

Hi, I have installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, ffmpeg, libavcodec, livavutil, libavformat, zenity but doesn't work.

😕

1. Your device and operating system: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz × 4, 4GB, 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Free
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using: 1.0.28.89.gf959d4ce
  4. Brief description of the issue: Local files do not play on Ubuntu 16.04

Spotify finds the songs, but don't play and close the app. 

=======================================================

Solved after read this post: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Can-t-play-local-files-with-current-...

So, I decided publish the solution.

1º) Install some packs: ubuntu-restricted-extras, ffmpeg, libavcodec, livavutil, libavformat, zenity.

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras ffmpeg libavcodec-extra libavcodec-extra57 libavutil55 libavformat57 zenity -y

New version to packs: libavformat57 libavcodec-extra57 libavcodec-extra libavutil55 

2º) Download some archives: (I put all in the github repository)

--> Download the package: https://github.com/ramedeiros/spotify_libraries/archive/master.zip

Or direct from the terminal: 

git clone https://github.com/ramedeiros/spotify_libraries.git

3º) Put all the files in to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ with root privileges.

cd spotify_libraries
sudo cp lib* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

4º) Execute: ldconfig

sudo ldconfig

5º) If show any problem with link, make new links.

e.g.: "/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.52 it's not a symbolic link"

So, execute command:

sudo ln -frs /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.52.6.100 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavutil.so.52
sudo ln -frs /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.54.36.100 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.54
sudo ln -frs /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavcodec.so.54.71.100 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavcodec.so.54

And so on...

Original link: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubu...

Solution!

jooon
Spotify
Spotify

@eiGhee4j wrote:

I just updated to 1.0.32.94.g8a839395 and scrolling has become extremely sluggish and I also get screen tearing while scrolling. I believe this is related to smooth scrolling which was shipped in chromium recently but which can be disabled there. Can you please provide an option to disable smooth scrolling in Spotify?

Very likely related.

Some of the chromium options are available in Spotify as well, but since there is no chrome://flags/ page you have to set it from the command line.

spotify --disable-smooth-scrolling

It is unlikely that this will become a toggle in the settings menu.

Solution!

jooon
Spotify
Spotify

@corvusd wrote:

This important linux website is inform that spotify support is end.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/spotify-web-player-desktop-integration-ubuntu

This forum is alive this months back... I can't understand what happens. Is true that situation of the not support? 

Spotify has never supported the Linux client, so support for it has not ended, but it has also never started. For a long time, the Linux advice was "Run the Windows client with Wine". A few years ago, the native Linux client was released. It shared a lot of code with the Windows/Mac client. Last year, a new version of the native Linux client was released. It shares almost all code with the Windows/Mac client.

I think that the word support means different things for different people. What I mean with Linux client not supported is:

1. The customer service team at Spotify does not answer Linux desktop related questions. The customer service team is the one building the FAQ at https://support.spotify.com and they are answering questions at https://twitter.com/spotifycares and https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares/ and here on the community forum.
  2. A new feature that breaks the Linux client, will not hold back Windows/Mac release.
  3. There is not a team of developers focusing only on the Linux related features of client.

@we do however have a few dedicated helpers here in the forum, thanks @Dreadlord and all others answering Linux questions! Even asking questions help, because it will usually bring people googling for the same problem here and maybe help them, seeing others with the same problem.

If code changes that affect the Linux specific parts, care is taken, not to break it. However, if the Linux client ends up being very buggy, and can't be released at the same time as the Windows/Mac version, there is usually enough attention inside the company to help bring it back on its feet again.

I have been working very slowly triaging and fixing bugs and implementing new linux specific features on my hackdays. A hackday is basically one day every other week when you can dig in and work on other things you normally don't work with, to learn new things, help others, and in my case, make that tiny change you always wanted, that never get prioritized enough. I find it quite fun.

Spotiweb looks cool! Nice integration with the web player.

Solution!

dowcet
Casual Listener

The value is set for 2 actually... Apparently that means "always active".

I installed SpotiWeb, which worked fine right away, and now the Web Player is working in Firefox again as well. Mysterious, but problem solved I guess.

Solution!

ndrededu
Regular
Solution!

gvl
Regular

I'm powering off my Lubuntu machine with a physical power button (shutdown -P) and Spotify doesn't save the last volume level setting. iirc the shutdown sequence sends a signal (SIGTERM ?) to all running processes telling them to die and it seems that Spotify doesn't save the volume when it exits afer catching that signal. Anyone knows if there is a signal I can send during shutdown to make Spotify save the volume level before it exits? This machine doesn't have a monitor attached to it, so can't close the app interactively. Perhaps I can add a shutdown hook to close it via the windowing system basically simulating a mouse click. Any other ideas?

Solution!

jooon
Spotify
Spotify

@mfonville wrote:

The latest version of spotify for Debian/Ubuntu is missing its dependency on libatomic1. If that dependency is not installed, starting Spotify will fail with:

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please fix by adding the dependency to the package

Thanks for the report. I quickly tried to push through a new build. It should be fixed in 1.0.64.407.

Solution!

durin
Roadie

The repository information in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotidy.list file isn't correct and the other commands fail because you haven't actually installed the spotify client yet.

Check that the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list contais the following line

deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free

and then run

sudo apt-get update

to update the repository information and then

sudo apt-get install spotify-client

to actually install Spotify.

The complete installation procedure is:

# 1. Add the Spotify repository signing key to be able to verify downloaded packages
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886

# 2. Add the Spotify repository
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

# 3. Update list of available packages
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install Spotify

151 Replies

Lorenzo_NGG
Roadie

It's a bug but the developers are already aware.

Smashme

Hi, 

When I go to add the key I get the following error: gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available. 

My distro is  Xubuntu 17.10

Thanks for any assistance. 

osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @Smashme

Check this thread out. They have updated the signing key, maybe you have an old one.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

acith
Casual Listener

I have problem when i install spotify in debian 9. I installed  inlibavcodec57, libssl1.0.2 .   i think if you can edit/build code please remove version in dependency list. 

detail

apt-get install spotify-client

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
spotify-client : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable
Recommends: libavcodec54 but it is not installable or
libavcodec-extra-54 but it is not installable
Recommends: libavformat54 but it is not installable
Recommends: zenity but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

ultravio1et
Casual Listener

with the new update from a few weeks ago i'm getting a massive memory leak while trying to use the Spotify client on Linux Mint 18 [64 bit]

its taking up over 5 gigs of memory and cripling my system

any ideas how i can stop this?

DavidOC
Casual Listener

Hi,

I'm hitting an issue that occurs when running spotify in a window manager such as i3 or openbox but not in a full desktop environment, e.g. GNOME 3.26 or KDE 5.  Parts of the UI become unresponsive when a song starts playing.

1. Your device and operating system: OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 - this has also occurred in Fedora 26 x86_64.
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Premium
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using: Spotify version 1.0.64.407.g9bd02c2d, Copyright (c) 2017, Spotify Ltd
  4. Brief description of the issue: Parts of the UI such as the media buttons, page links and progress bar become unresponsive for approx 25 seconds when a song is started or resumed playback.
    This occurs only when running under a WM but not when running under a full desktop environment.
  5. Steps to reproduce the issue: Start the Spotify client under either the i3 or openbox environments and start playing a song, then try to pause the song once playback has started or select another song.

I've included strace logs of spotify when running under i3 4.14 and when running under GNOME 3.26.

leezu

Starting with spotify 1.0.64 the "--force-device-scale-factor=1.5" for
hidpi displays has no effect anymore. Is there any workaround?

mariaglezpintos

Hi everybody and thanks for trying to help me.

I've recently changed my lapyop and now I use a Dell XPS with Ubuntu 16.04.

My Spotify account is premium and I followed the steps suggested to download the app for linux, but when writing "sudo apt-get update", it returns (translating the answer from Spanish):

E: Line 1 bad constructed at the origin list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotidy.list (type)
E: It wasn't possible to read the origin list

I've trying some solutions as writing "killall spotify" but it just says "spotify: no process found".

Also, when trying "strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1" I got "strace: Can't stat 'spotify': No such file or directory".

What's happening and what can i do to solve this?

Solution!

durin
Roadie

The repository information in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotidy.list file isn't correct and the other commands fail because you haven't actually installed the spotify client yet.

Check that the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list contais the following line

and then run

sudo apt-get update

to update the repository information and then

to actually install Spotify.

The complete installation procedure is:

# 1. Add the Spotify repository signing key to be able to verify downloaded packages
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886

echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install Spotify

cerebrix
Casual Listener
  1. Your device and operating system: OS: Zorin OS 12.2 x86_64
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Premium
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using: Spotify version 1.0.64.407.g9bd02c2d, Copyright (c) 2017, Spotify Ltd
  4. Brief description of the issue: Startup and Window Behavior is blank as shown in the screenshot above. Also unable to minimize to tray.
  5. Steps to reproduce the issue: Start the Spotify client and go into advanced settings to adjust the minimize to tray behavior
spotify_problem.jpg

mfonville
Casual Listener

The latest version of spotify for Debian/Ubuntu is missing its dependency on libatomic1. If that dependency is not installed, starting Spotify will fail with:

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Solution!

jooon
Spotify
Spotify

@mfonville wrote:

Thanks for the report. I quickly tried to push through a new build. It should be fixed in 1.0.64.407.

OdifYltsaeb
Regular

Spotify just started to fail to start at some point after installing some system updates.

1. ubuntu-gnome 16.04.2
  2. Premium
  3. Spotify version 1.0.49.125.g72ee7853, Copyright (c) 2017, Spotify Ltd
  4. Did not start. So i ran the spotify --ap=194.132.162.227 command. That showed the cef_extensions problem. Downloaded the file. Problem persisted. Purged spotify from the system, installed it again from scratch. Now spotify --ap=194.132.162.227 literally does nothing. Prints out nothing and so on..
  5. strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump.txt 2>&1 (see attachment)

limhes2
  1. Your device and operating system
    KDE neon LTS User Edition 5.8 (16.04)
    Premium
    spotify-client (1:1.0.57.474.gca9c9538-30, amd64)
    Spotify connect is messing up between different playback/control devices. I have two Linux PCs with the above (almost identical) configuration, of which one is used as a playback device (connected to speakers) and the other one is my desktop, on which I would like to control the other. These two PCs do not see each other through spotify connect at all (everything is greyed out).
    However, my Android phone sees both of the PCs when they're playing music. But, when I play music on PC1 or PC2, my phone connects to both of them at the same time. It says it is connected to either one of them, but pause/play affects both PC1 and PC2, pausing and playing two different songs even though they're at the same account.
    I have the feeling that Spotify does not make any distinction between the PCs, and identifies them as being similar (they have, of course, different IPs, MAC and host names). Still, they have different names in the app. It confuses me...
    FWIW: I tried all suggestions I could find (different spotify versions (0.9x, 1.x), clearing cache/config, enabling ports/upnp on the router)
    Two PCs with fresh install of KDE Neon and Spotify. One Android phone with Spotify. And.... spotify connect is all over the place 😉

Any help in solving this issue is highly appreciated!

Kassh
  1. Your device and operating system
    ubuntu Linux
    16.04 LTS
    hp ProBook 4340s
    Premium
    spotify-client/stable,now 1:1.0.49.125.g72ee7853-111 amd64 [installed]
    Spotify stars, the window loads, however it does not progress through the loading spinner in the middle, it just spins forever. Meanwhile my system stutters, and the system monitor tells me it is using 5-6GB of RAM.
    If I close the window normally the spotify process does not stop, I have to manually kill it.
    I tried:
    - updating/reinstalling spotify ~4-5 times
    - removing cache
    - restarting
    My account works perfectly on Windows and iOS.
    No idea how to reproduce it on other systems, it was working perfectly for me on friday when I turned it off, I didn't use this computer since then.

rpbaptist
Music Fan

How can I report issues with the testing version? I reverted to stable now, but I am worried the bug will be introduced in stable later on.

The problem is a chrome issues in combination with xorg and intel graphics. When I launch Spotify client on an external monitor with larger resolution than QHD the entire screen goes black.

Chrome has the same problem for certain sites and I suspect it's been introduced in the Spotify client as well now.

themacmeister
Regular

Just wondering how to get the stable version you reverted to, or test version you mention (I think I am on Stable, but it is anything BUT stable on my Ubuntu 16.04.2 install)?

Send a link or repository address pls.

Thanks

durin
Roadie

@themacmeister wrote:

Just wondering how to get the stable version you reverted to, or test version you mention (I think I am on Stable, but it is anything BUT stable on my Ubuntu 16.04.2 install)?

Send a link or repository address pls.

Thanks

The stable repository address is in the installation instructions

And the testing is the almost the same. Just change stable to testing

deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free

sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install Spotify

ndrededu
Regular

Frequently progress bar is missing when playing music. It appears again when I click pause button. I'm facing same issue since two years.

Now I'm running 1.0.57.474.gca9c9538-30 on Slackware 14.2.

pbar.jpeg

jooon
Spotify
Spotify

@rpbaptist wrote:

How can I report issues with the testing version? I reverted to stable now, but I am worried the bug will be introduced in stable later on.

The problem is a chrome issues in combination with xorg and intel graphics. When I launch Spotify client on an external monitor with larger resolution than QHD the entire screen goes black.

Chrome has the same problem for certain sites and I suspect it's been introduced in the Spotify client as well now.

Just mentioning the problem in this thread works, but it is usually much better to create a new thread in the Help / Desktop forum, describing the problem and mention linux somewhere and it will show up in my feed of topics that I track. It will also make it more easily findable by others with the same problem. A google search with the correct terms usually finds current posts in this forum that have the relevant info in the topic. Other users could then add more information that could make it easier for us to find and fix the problem. And it will also be easier to spot the severity of the problem.

testing versions will indeed eventually move to stable if nothing serious has been reported by a lot of users. Then I try to see if we can get it fixed first. This is the first time I have heard about the issue, and it sounds serious, but as far as I know, currently only affects one user.

You mention stable and testing. They are currently stable=1:1.0.49.125.g72ee7853-111 and testing=1:1.0.53.758.gde3fc4b2-33. Are those the versions you mean?

Link to the Chrome issue also helps.

Zaputin

Hi everyone,

I successfully installed Spotify Client 1.0.49.1.25 on LUBUNTU 16.04 but can't login.
This is the output:

[0223/122452:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[0223/122453:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
/usr/share/spotify/spotify: ../../src/xcb_io.c:274: poll_for_event: asserzione "!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost" non riuscita.
Annullato (core dump creato)

couldn't find any solution on the net. Any suggestions?

SUGGESTED POSTS