Step 1

NEXT STEP

Adding to queue stops all music playing

Adding to queue stops all music playing

Student Premium

USA

Macbook Pro late 2019

Mac OS 11.2.1

After adding a song to the queue, the queue is sometimes completely cleared and refuses to play any music. Adding new songs to the queue does not do anything. Manually attempting to play songs or playlists also does not work. The only solution I've found is to restart the app. This happens nearly daily now and is quite annoying.

I've tried clearing the caches and reinstalling the app, but it does not help.

13 Replies

Hi there @user-removed,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this.

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If this doesn't do the trick, could you give it a try using a different internet connection?

Lastly, would you mind letting us know if this is happening on a different device as well?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

The last time I did the reinstall, I followed the clean reinstall instructions and it did not help. I'll try it again and let you know how that goes.

I don't have any other internet connections to try right now, but the same issue has occurred when I travel home (which is a different connection).

The only other device I use Spotify on is my iPhone. It doesn't have any issues. Well sometimes it stops working, but only when I'm controlling the queue on my computer and playing through my phone.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply with the troubleshooting results. If they don't help, we'd appreciate a screenshot of how the queue appears at your end, or better yet - a recording of the issue. This would allow us to get to the bottom of this quicker.

Keep us posted. 

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mihail,

The troubleshooting does not seem to have helped. This is what my queue looks like when this happens. It just lists a single song and then doesn't allow you to play anything else once that song finishes.

If you then restart the app, the queue goes back to normal and includes any songs you were trying to add before restarting (in this case, the Kiefer song at the top). This also occasionally happens when just trying to play an album by an artist.

This is a hard issue to record since it doesn't always happen, and there's honestly not much to see. When you add a song to queue, it has the little blue "added to queue" message, but then the queue goes blank and the music abruptly stops at the end of the current song.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.19.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.22.29 AM.png

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for your reply. 

It looks like the screenshot wasn't attached correctly. Could you try it again? You can attach it to your next reply by tapping on the camera icon in the post editor.

On another note, just to confirm, could you try it with a different internet connection? You can try creating a hotspot on your phone and using that.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Sorry about that. I've edited the post to add the screenshots.
For some reason, my phone isn't set up to do hotspots. And I'm on university wifi so everywhere I go is the same connection.

Hi there @user-removed, 

Thanks for your quick reply. 

In this case, we suggest that you try switching the proxy setting in the app settings from "auto-detect" to "no proxy". Then, log out and log back in. 

If this doesn't make any difference, we recommend checking your firewall and make sure Spotify is set as an exception.

Additionally, make sure to turn off the VPN, if in use.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator

Hi Eni,

Turning off the proxy settings and logging off/on did not help 😞

I don't currently have a firewall or VPN in use.

Hey @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

In this case, we'd recommend making sure that your device has enough storage space available. 

Also, could you send over the exact Spotify version you're currently running? 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi Novy,

I’ve got 174 GB of hard drive space available. The Spotify version is 1.1.57.443.ga029a6c4-a. I’ve also been through several updates that did not fix the issue over the past few months.

Hey again @user-removed, 

Thanks for this info!

If possible, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using your device to see if they can replicate this?

If you don't have another account that you can use at the moment, you could try creating a free test account here just to see how it behaves. 

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I made a new free account to test that out. It seems to work better now, but it might also still be too early to say for sure. Switching to the free account also changed my desktop app back to the older layout, which may also have had an effect. This issue was definitely more frequent with the new update. It only occurred every few days in the old layout, and you could usually fix it by just re-adding the troublesome songs to the queue.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

It sounds like this could be an account-related issue.

We'd suggest you head here and contact our support team. The folks there can check your account and give you more information about it.

We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts