Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files disabled but still showing up on playlists!

Solved!

Local Files disabled but still showing up on playlists!

Device:

Macbook Pro 16 inch

Operating System:

macOS Catalina

My Question or Issue

I have local files disabled as shown here:

sqr_08_1-1626521153205.png

Yet the local files that were added to my playlist before still show up

sqr_08_0-1626521141912.png

I have tried deleting the local-files cache, and it works for a bit. But after a while, the local files still end up showing up again

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @sqr_08

Thanks for the screen recording you sent.

Just to confirm, did you try disabling the option Enable hardware acceleration in the app's settings? 

It's also worth toggling the option Show Local Files on > disabling all the sources that appear there > toggle Show Local Files back off. 

After following those steps, make sure to restart the app.

Keep us in the loop. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Just delete the local files from those playlists then?

I have a lot of local files over a lot of different playlist that I would like to keep

There's too many to delete

Is there another solution that doesn't involve deleting them?

Hey there @sqr_08,

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately the only way to remove local files from personal playlists is to manually delete them.

Hope this info helps.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Alex, is there a solution to the problem that Local Files are showing up even though the local files option is deslected in settings?

It’s not an issue. It’s working as intended. If you disable local files in settings then they just won’t show in Your Library-> Local Files but they will still be in all of the playlists. Same way as when a song becomes unavailable then it’s grayed out, it doesn’t just disappear from a playlists. 

the problem is the local file songs aren't being grayed out like they should be. i'm not expecting them to disappear from my playlists, im expecting them to stay there but just be grayed out or unplayable.

Hey there @sqr_08,

Thanks for the reply.

Local files might appear playable if they've been downloaded on that device, in your local files playlist or any of the playlists that they are part of.

Is this the case with the ones that are not grayed out?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Alex, yes the ones that are not grayed out are playable. I wonder why some of them are grayed out and some of them are playable? It seems pretty random

Hey @sqr_08

Thanks for your reply. 

As @Alex mentioned previously, if you've downloaded some of those local files, it's expected that they're still playable. Just to confirm, is that your case?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey Emi,

I just checked, I haven't downloaded a single playlist on this device! So none of those local files should be downloaded

Hi there @sqr_08,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you provide us a screen recording from when you disable the local files and enter your playlist.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks for the reply Jeremy.

I have performed the clean reinstall app, and currently local files aren't playable.

However, my spotify app is eating up an insane amount of CPU and is slowing my entire computer down. And whenever I try and quit the app, the application says "not responding" and I HAVE to force quit to be able to exit out of the app

This always happens no matter however many times i clean reinstall my app

After a few minutes of launching, it always turn into 100% cpu usage.

I am super frustrated with this spotify app. No matter what I do, no matter how many times I clean reinstall, it always either enables local files somehow, or turns into 100% cpu usage. The clean reinstalling doesnt seem to be doing anything!!! I'm so tired of these issues that I'm on my last straw switching to Apple Music if i can't resolve this, the app is causing me so much trouble, i spend my entire lifesavings on this $3000 Macbook Pro and a simple spotify app is ruining everything. If you look at my post history, I have been having difficulty for the past 3 months, and nobody has been able to give me any advice that has helped at all.

Please Jeremy, if you can't fix my Spotify app I am sorry but I've had enough - I'm going to switch to Apple Music

I've tried
-clean reinstalling the app (about 50 times)

-deleting the local files caches (about 100 times)

i'm not sure what else I can do

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 3.36.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 3.48.55 AM.png

Hi again @sqr_08,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation of that troubleshooting steps you've taken so far.

It doesn't matter if you turn it off in your settings, if you've added the songs to a playlist they will always be in that playlist and still be playable as long as you have the files on the device. If don't want them there, you need to go through all of the playlists containing local files and delete the songs individually.

If you haven't already - we also suggest that you head over to this thread and follow the steps that's provided in the solution post 🙂

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Thanks for the reply Jeremy I appreciate all your help.

Jeremy I took the time to go through every single one of my playlists, deleted every single local file in them, clean reinstalled the app, deleted my local files cache, and STILL, after all this

spotify is reaching 100% cpu usage.  

Jeremy I have included a screen recording to show you what is going on. I have put it on google drive because it exceeds the 5 MB file size limit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1buyejX9yEWw3nFahMifU1JhYmUB7_gGp/view?usp=sharing

Please Jeremy, help me. I am losing my mind. I will literally book an appointment with any support staff just to troubleshoot this if thats even possible. I will do whatever it takes. I just want to be able to listen to music on spotify again. 

Hi again @sqr_08,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us. We'll do our best to sort this out for you 🙂

We're not able to access the screen recording. Can you upload it on YouTube and share the link here? 

Keep us posted.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Marked as solution

Hi @sqr_08

Thanks for the screen recording you sent.

Just to confirm, did you try disabling the option Enable hardware acceleration in the app's settings? 

It's also worth toggling the option Show Local Files on > disabling all the sources that appear there > toggle Show Local Files back off. 

After following those steps, make sure to restart the app.

Keep us in the loop. 

EniModerator

Eni, where have you been all my life? Your solution of toggling the local files option worked perfectly. I can't believe they kept sending me Jeremy to this thread when your single response was the perfect solution. Thank you. Please give Jeremy some mentoring.

Hi there @sqr_08,

Thank you for your reply.

We're sorry that you feel that way. However, it's really nice to see that everything works as it should for you again.

Have a good continued weekend.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts