Solved!

Search in playlist

Spotify Premium 

Portugal

Device

Macbook Pro 16-inch 2019

Operating System

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

When you are inside of a playlist, and want to start by listening by a specific song, you use command+F to "Search in playlist" .

Current behaviour is if you use this, you will be stuck to that song, as if suddenly you enabled "repeat one" which is not the case.

I believe the correct behaviour for this would be to start with that song, but then continue to play the playlist as expected, eg. following to the next song which should be selected depending on the status of shuffle.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Right, i see what you're saying. I've always used the search as a filter to the playlist; it actually used to be called "filter" before it was "search", which is why I think the shortcut is command-f.

To do what you're describing specifically, I used to filter down to the single song, select it, then remove the filter. The playlist would automatically scroll to the selected song and i'd double click it. Annoyingly, as of a few weeks ago, this no longer works and the selection is lost completely. I've complained about that here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Selection-is-Lost-When-Removing-Filter-From-Playlist/m-...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I actually like the way it currently is. I often want to listen a subset of a playlist, like all the songs in the playlist by a particular artist and this feature makes it easy. How do other people feel?

What feature ? From what I see you get blocked to 1 song, not even a subset . I search the song, start playing it, and delete the search or go back to the playlist and it still only plays this one song that had been found through the search.

You're getting "blocked" to one song because you're filtering the list down to one song. Try changing your search to something more generic. For example, if you filtered a very large playlist down to 100 songs, you'd be playing those 100 songs. Then if you remove the filter completely, you'd have to start playing the unfiltered playlist again in order to hear all the songs. Makes sense to me....

To my understanding that would be a different feature. Search means to find. I have a list, on which I want to find 1 song, with which to initiate my shuffle play. That’s it.

What you are suggesting would maybe require a different action all together which would be “play subset”. And this then will even trigger more complicated flows, because then you should also be allowed to cmd/ctrl + click or shift+click to select the subset.

And from there maybe even create a new playlist.

That’s my 10 cents.
Marked as solution

Right, i see what you're saying. I've always used the search as a filter to the playlist; it actually used to be called "filter" before it was "search", which is why I think the shortcut is command-f.

To do what you're describing specifically, I used to filter down to the single song, select it, then remove the filter. The playlist would automatically scroll to the selected song and i'd double click it. Annoyingly, as of a few weeks ago, this no longer works and the selection is lost completely. I've complained about that here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Selection-is-Lost-When-Removing-Filter-From-Playlist/m-...

That’s what I do but I start playing it while still on search and then I clear the search and it stays locked to that song. But now I can better understand the why behind this. Thanks for sharing.

Suggested posts