Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify has a memory leak [Mac Desktop]

Spotify has a memory leak [Mac Desktop]

Brief description of the issue

Spotify memory usage does not stop increasing until my MacBook runs out of memory/swap (I experienced up to 79 GB (!!!))

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start Spotify and just stream music
  2. Wait (do not know how long exactly, but it happend the 4th time today)
  3. Fans start running more and more and at some time a warning will pop up that the Mac is out of memory (screenshot is attached)

What steps you’ve tried already

Reinstalled Spotify (completely deleted Spotify with AppCleaner beforehand)

Your device and operating system

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), macOS 10.15.2, 2.7GHz Quad-Core, 16GB)

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium)

Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using

1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb

Please let me know if you need any further information

IMG_3175.jpg
6 Replies

I'm also experiencing this. I've removed and re-installed Spotify and it has persisted.

I am experiencing the same issue... anyone knowing if there is a fix any time soon?

Skärmavbild 2020-03-16 kl. 07.35.22.png

Me too!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. To everyone experiencing this, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend the steps in that guide, as they’re very thorough and make sure no damaged leftover files remain. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing, as it removes all damaged leftover files and downloads the latest app version. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

It's also a good idea to make sure that your OS and all drivers on your system are up to date with the latest version available.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, same issue for me, the memory goes up when I switch between list views on a MAC. List views are "Liked songs", Playlists and so on. For every switch the memory goes up and does not completely get cleared when going elsewhere. Maybe your lists leak memory? More memory is leaked when scrolling my 3000 liked songs. Please fix this, reinstalling does NOT help and it's quite annoying.

Hey @David250,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you try running the app as an administrator to see if that helps?

We'd recommend that you also open your Mac in a safe mode to see if that makes a difference.

Just to double-check-are there any changes after the clean reinstall?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts