Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

228 Replies

spofity keeps skipping

The Spotify web app on a Google Chromebook skips pretty much every song. No local files on the machine.

@Hamilt0n wrote:

The Spotify web app on a Google Chromebook skips pretty much every song. No local files on the machine.

I find this is normally down to available network bandwidth, does it work fine on another network? 

Other thing I have noticed on my Chromebook (one of the ARM ones) Spotify really does struggle sometimes when you have multiple tabs open!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I was having the same problem and after noticing my G35 headset functions weren't working I unplugged/replugged them to reset the drivers and sure enough that was the cause of it skipping. Every 10 seconds it was trying to refresh the driver and failing, causing the skipping for me. Hope this helps at least one other

I have Spotify on a Mac OSX Mountain Lion and a Windows 7 Home. Songs skip with a premium account, hardware acceleration allowed, and high quality off. Though it does skip less often when the high quality is off.

Do you get this happening with both streamed and local music?

Just for streamed music. Also, I wasn't multitasking, so RAM shouldn't be an issue since both of my machines have at least 4gb. Maybe I was streaming during high traffic times? I'll try streaming during different parts of the day to see if that smooths up the playback.

If you get this every day at the same time, it could be that your ISP is shaping bandwidth at peak times. They may also be throttling P2P connections (sadly this is getting pretty common) and spotify uses P2P for music streaming. If you suspect P2P throttling, this site may help.

I am happy for you that you believe that it its iTunes, however I am not a user for that software. I may be some type of mime issue with apply quicktime that I will look into. Thanks.

Since

Spotify doesnt seem to be in a hurry to help their customers

The solution to this for those of you who are using a Desktop or a Laptop is to abandon the self standing player and just use

the Web player for your enjoyment until or if they ever decide to either fix it or answer your questions which I doubt they will, so use the webplayer at this address.:

https://play.spotify.com/

This will bring everything up and get you back to listening

Oh and THANK YOU Spotify for your wondermus tech support staffing.... said no one ever.

I have never had iTunes, yet mine still skips..

I have the Spotify app on my roku player and it skips CONSTANTLY. Going to end my subscription if they don't fix the issue soon.

@taniniver - From reading around on topics like this one, it appears Spotify blame Roku and Roku blame Spotify for the issue which is not getting anywhere. 

Some people have reported changing DNS fixes this though:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Spotify-on-Roku-song-issues/m-p/589154/hi...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Uninstall... 😕

Thanks..same problem since latest update on Windows 8.1...removed iTunes and all good...Spotify please issue a fix so both programs can run compatibly on one PC

I've unchecked the hardware excelleration on mine and am still having this issue! *Sigh*

• I have contacted spotiy about the issue but they just send you a standard reply redirecting you to their support page. This is really annoying. No help whatsoever...

I just checked my sound card, i hadnt the proper card selected, there was a 3rd party selected...Apowersoft???...no more skipping

I have a MacBook Air and was close to throwing it and every other device I has spotify on though the room..
But as a last thing I did this:

Spotify > Preferences
And then I just unclicked more or less everything

Everything under:
Local Files
User Interface
Music announcments

Then

Spotify > Quit Spotify

restarted it..
Now it works without a problem..

NB!: I also had the problem it wouldnt make songs available offline.. that seems to work too now.

I tried all the above but still kept skipping. I'm running Spotify on my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop and it was skipping every 30 seconds on the nose. Did some research and found this: Uninstall program "intel matrix storage manager" from your computer (not even sure what it did anyway). Restarted my laptop and no more skips. Hope this helps

Suggested posts