Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

allav

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Vehx

I was having the same problem and after noticing my G35 headset functions weren't working I unplugged/replugged them to reset the drivers and sure enough that was the cause of it skipping. Every 10 seconds it was trying to refresh the driver and failing, causing the skipping for me. Hope this helps at least one other

View solution in original post

Solution!

wholigan
Music Fan

SOLVED IT!

I figured if it was a server communication issue, it could be fixed by clearing the cache.

First, completely close spotify. The go create a backup of the cache folder "Storage" by renaming it. It is located:

Windows: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage

OS X: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/Storage/

Linux: ~/.cache/spotify/Storage/

I renamed mine "StorageBackup" (this later can and should be deleted as long as nothing gets messed up in the meantime).

Restart spotify. It will recreate the storage folder as it tries to write to it. It SHOULD be working now. 

*EDIT*This folder is probably hidden for you.

Windows users - should be able to access it anyway through windows explorer. If not, you can navigate to it if you go to your folder options and select to show hidden files and folders. (make sure you switch the USERNAME with your own!)

Mac users - Open finder, hit cmd+shift+G or from the menu select Go > Go To Folder and paste in the file path (make sure you switch the USERNAME with your own!)

Linux Users - you know what ur doing, m8.

Solution!

nicole260799
Unconnect with your internet network and try again!

Solution!

michaelteter
Regular

This was the solution for me on Mac (and the solution ONLY would apply to Mac).

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Mac/Stream-cuts-in-and-out/m-p/1321576#M8370

Solution!

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

If you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

Another useful step to do is to remove your hosts files.

If you have Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If this happens on your mobile device we suggest that you try the following:

• Soft reset of the device
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date

Also, ensure device has enough storage space.

Another useful step to do is to try with another internet connection.

If the issue persist, can you log in with another account on the device - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care 🙂 

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

If you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

Another useful step to do is to remove your hosts files.

If you have Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If this happens on your mobile device we suggest that you try the following:

• Soft reset of the device
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date

Also, ensure device has enough storage space.

Another useful step to do is to try with another internet connection.

If the issue persist, can you log in with another account on the device - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care 🙂 

228 Replies

deskml

same here... please fix it ASAP...

Alcerl
Regular

I still have this problem both on spotify desktop and web wersion. I've tried all the solution above, but nothing... What i can do? 

Solution!

nicole260799
Unconnect with your internet network and try again!

Singularitc
Casual Listener

First time I've had studder issues since joiing. Noticed it started studdering on reg media playback as well. Reconnected network and all media playback including spotify stopped studdering.

Just upgraded to win 10 today. Maybe something there.

nicote

Same here... ever since I downgraded for one month it just skips random songs when streaming on desktop under Windows.

This just plain su***

Spotify, you need to fix this. You can't have prmium members just being unable to stream music. I am tempted on downgrading once and for all.

michaelteter
Regular

Spotify was skipping on my Mac, and I tried all the other suggestions with no success.  Then I found out about App Nap, the new feature in OS X that makes background apps sleep periodically to conserve energy.  OS X can activate App Nap on an application whenever it thinks it makes sense, such as when the screensaver kicks in.

Some advice on the internet suggests you Get Info on the Spotify app and then check a box "Prevent App Nap".  However, in the latest versions of OS X (and Spotify?), that option is not visible.  But you can disable it from command line.

Open Terminal

Type this at the prompt (don't type the $, that's just the prompt indicator)

$ defaults write com.spotify.client NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

I believe it is the responsibility of the app developer to add code to their program that tells the OS which parts of the app should never be put to sleep.  I suspect that Spotify devs either didn't realize that App Nap existed, or perhaps they missed some important change that Apple made about the details.  Anyway, preventing App Nap fixed my skipping problem.

Pkrynr
I was experiencing a similar problem (android). Restarted phone, redownloaded app, etc with no results. I reset the cache from in-app, and the problem resolved.

Harlowin
Roadie

Check at the end of each step to see if it fixes your issue

* Check the drivers. Install the latest driver for your soundcard

* Turn streaming quality down to high minimum and hardware acceleration off

* Use RevoUninstaller for Windows and AppZapper for mac to uninstall Spotify. If you do it manually, there are so many different things that can be causing it. They are both free, use them. Restart computer, reinstall Spotify

wireman612

nonfacciopere

I've got the same issue, i play a song and spotify keep skip it. I Resolved the issue removing the Spotify Folder inside C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\

inv1nceable

I'm currently having this problem now..

It'll say "Cant play the current track" and will skip through every song

Is this issue fixed?

dannyalavez
Casual Listener
It's fixed now lol, I just started to watch youtube for a bit then went back to see if it still was skipping and it worked fine....smh spotify

phyllerin
Casual Listener
I've been playing all morning without any problem until 30 min ago. Now it keeps skippin the tunes, some plays for a couple of seconds. Tryed to clean cache but it had no effect. Uninstalled the app (andriod) and installed it again, same problem. No problem playing with the app on my iPad ord my windows laptop.

Gitaristen
Casual Listener

I decided to uninstall Spotify for now. And will reinstall when I see that this bug is fixed.

seanpatrick76
Gig Goer
Ya I'm sick of Spotify's sh#t. I cancelled 3 days ago and am now a happy subscriber to Google Music.

dannyalavez
Casual Listener
GUYS HELP
I have android so no iTunes, and today the problem started when I tried to play a song in my library and it just started skipping through songs without me even touching anything, how can I fix this? I uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing, help me plzzzz

KriFreKil

Happening to me too right now. And I have spent a good two hours trying to fix it. Tried everything suggested and more. So when I try googeling the problem I find threads of people having this problem back in 2013, and the Spotify team still havent managed to post some suggestion on their help page? 3,5 year premium subscriber lost.

EDIT, Spotify just recently posted  "We’re investigating some issues and finding out more" on the help page. Hopefully thats the source of the problem. If not...

Gitaristen
Casual Listener
Happened here, too, after I installed the latest version. I use Win10.

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Spotify is having problems right now and they are trying to fix it as soon as possible.

You can stay up to date by reading their Twitter account here:

https://twitter.com/SpotifyStatus/status/694855504930148352

MattSudaRock Star 24
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

This problem has been fixed.

MattSudaRock Star 24
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suzy77
Music Fan

I have this problem right now. Never had it before.

SUGGESTED POSTS