Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

progress bar acts weird

progress bar acts weird

I've started a song in a playlist and moved the progress bar about halfway the song. Then when I play a different song from that playlist, that song starts playing at 0:00, but... the progress bar either moves to the right of the previous song's position or to the left. It doesn't go back to position 0. Sometimes it does, but mostly it moves left or right of the position the previous song was currently. All is fully uninstalled and reinstalled and updated.

Found out that it also happens on Spotify Web (open.spotify.com). When I play a song on any playlist and move the progress bar further along. I then play a different song on that same playlist and instead of going back to the beginning it either shrinks or grows a bit from its last position (of the previous track).

Seems like a bug of some kind?

3 Replies

I don't have an answer, but I do have a similar problem and perhaps if I add some details on recreating the bug someone with more knowledge than us can offer a solution.  I'm also curious if my steps for recreating the bug work for you.  If not I'll start a different thread as it would potentially be a different problem.  Also, did you notice this before updating to the latest edition of Spotify?

I'm on an M1 MacBook Pro (Monterey 12.4) and the issue started after the most recent Spotify update.  I have also tried restarting my computer + clean installation of Spotify.

Steps that I used to recreate:

PART A:  Trigger

1 - Select song and skip to middle (or anywhere that isn't the start or end)

2 - skip 1 song (or a few) forward or back (I've found this step to be occasionally unnecessary but have been able to trigger the bug more consistently with it)

3 - If 2 results in the progress bar getting stuck skip to Part B.  If 2 results in normal behavior, repeat Part A.

PART B:  Test.

- Does clicking anywhere on the progress bar temporarily resolve the issue?  If not try clicking on several different parts of the progress bar while the song is playing a noticing if the bar moves.  (For me, this works and has been my primary method of resetting the problem to recreate it and test)

- Does restarting Spotify temporarily resolve the issue?  (This also works for me)

- (If you're on a laptop) After resetting the issue, does repeating part 1 with the trackpad cause any similar issues?  I get that sounds strange, but I'm unable to make the bug happen when I use a trackpad.  I can reset the progress bar to being normal by restarting Spotify or clicking the progress bar and then repeat Part A as many times as I want and I'm never able to trigger the bug.  When using a mouse it seems to happen every couple of attempts.

Hope this somehow helpful.

I had a conversation with Spotify Support. They didn't offer much help. Besides having me do stuff like reinstalling etc.:

Can you let us know if you have any ad blockers enabled on your device? Also, do you have any firewalls which might need Spotify removing from the permissions? Could you try restarting your router to see if that helps? Could you try doing another reinstall of the app? This might have something to do with your host file. We'd suggest giving these steps a shot [steps to change hosts file]. Can you log in with our test account and check if it's the same thing there? Are you using a VPN on your computers? Could you also check if you have enough storage space on your devices? Do you have other streaming apps installed on the devices (work and home) or being accessed through their website

They had a hard time admitting that it's bug on their side. Instead it would be something wrong with my computer. But I had to disappoint them: that progress bar not syncing / working correctly doesn't only happen on my home computer (Mac M1 2021), but also on the one at work AND I tried it on an old laptop of mine running in Windows. It happens both on the Desktop app and on Spotify Web (open.sportify.com) and when on Spotify Web both in Safari and Chrome.

Finally they gave up and mentioned: We've let our developers know about this and they're investigating. 

Guess we'll have to wait until they are able to fix it with an update...

Alright, thanks for the update.

Suggested posts