Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast Audio?

Add support for Google ChromeCast Audio?

I really can't believe I am still having to ask this question. The last 12 page thread on this full of people begging for a fix was marked as 'solved' (which it wasn't) and then locked for being old. 

Why is it I cannot cast audio from the Mac desktop app to my Google Chromecast device? At the moment it is only possible to cast from the mobile app. The previous workaround of using the web browser app whilst using chrome is not a solution. Please can you advise the community as to why you either cannot implement this feature or have chosen not to? 

Thanks

7 Replies

Due to chromecast needing a "remote" to function, it is currently only possible to cast music from your mobile device. However, it is possible to use your laptop to cast music if you initiate the song from your phone and then switch over to your computer. 

Alternatively, you can cast music from the spotify web page using chrome. Hope this has been helpful.

Can you expand on what you mean by 'remote'? If this is the case why can I cast from the chrome app on my macbook? 

Hey @Joekaz.

Thanks for getting back to us!

When you start the music via a mobile device and then load up Spotify on a desktop computer, you'll see that a device is already listening. You can leave it that way and simply select other music to play and continue on your computer.

Hope this clarifies some things. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

That didn't clarify a thing and please address the question. Why cant we stream from Spotify app on Mac (or Windows) directly to Chromecast device without an intermediary android device or chrome browser.

As a software author of some 35 years now, the above users are asking completely legitimate questions and "the elephant in the room" is being repeatedly avoided.
I too find this need to start a web-player alongside the already-running app, to connect out to a chromecast device, highly klugey.
It's begging for a fix, not a rug pulled over it.
And we, the users, are not idiots. Please don't keep reciting the "open a browser" work-around. We already know that.

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Superb news!

Suggested posts