Family Premium

Country

USA

Device

Desktop App

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

All the songs on my desktop app are greyed out. Previously, I wasn't able to login. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and then I was able to login, but none of my songs are available. 

My account works fine on Android Mobile, as well as on the desktop through the Web client. It's just the Spotify app that's broken. It's been like this for at least the last week. 

I don't know what else to do here. Everything bu the desktop app works fine.

7 Replies

Hey @SixDemonBag, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the make and model of your device? 

Let me know how everything goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello, thanks for replying!

As stated in the OP, I have already done those things. It fixed the login problem, but now all songs are greyed out in the desktop app, which is what I'm seeking help with. Also in OP, as stated, it's a Windows 10 machine.

Spotify works fine in the browser on the desktop, works fine on my Android Phone.

Thanks!

Hey there @SixDemonBag

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

In this case, we'd recommend trying with a different network, for example creating a hotspot on your phone and using that - if that's possible.

If this doesn't make any difference, we suggest clearing any entries containing Spotify from your windows host files. You can follow the instructions from this page.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Also experiencing this same issue, removed the desktop app, deleted all entries in appdata, re-installed the app and its still not working - all tracks on my play lists and Spotify play lists are greyed out, web client works fine and my Android mobile works fine as well.

No entries for Spotify in my hosts file either - not that I would expect there to be any given all of this was working fine up until Monday this week when an update came through.

Hey @the_shadow002,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - when you reinstalled the app did you use the steps in this guide? We recommend using those as they are more thorough and make sure that no corrputed leftover files remain.

Keep in mind that we recommend installing the app version from the Microsoft Store as it's the one best optimized for Windows 10. Make sure to also exclude Spotify from your firewall/ antivirus software and any storage or battery optimization services you might have running.

On another note - did you have the chance to check if the songs are greyed out when connected to a different internet connection as @Eni suggested above?

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem. all songs greyed out on windows version (WIN 11) and Mac version of desktop app.

Hey there @mflorant,

Thanks you for reaching out on the Community!

This could be some intermittent situation, that was caused by some wrongfully cached-data or break ups in your internet connectivity. Firstly, we can suggest to log out and then to log back in, in the desktop app twice in a row, as this triggers a refresh between the app and your account and may help to resolve any possible cache-related issues. 

If the above doesn't help, then you might want to do a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This install is more thorough than the usual one and should shake things up for the desktop app. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts