Audio distortion in all songs

Audio distortion in all songs

Niklas_mp3
Casual Listener

Hello everyone,

I have a problem which has annoyed me for more than a year now which makes the music listening with the desktop app almost unusable. After any song playing for around 1 minute, the audio gets distorted / crumbles (like in the attached MP3) for around 1 second, resumes for 1 second and then crumble again until I skip to the next song or pause and resume it. I have tried the following things:

- restart Spotify

- restart computer

- reinstall windows 10 (clean)

- reinstalled/uninstalled audio driver

- tried different spotify settings

- tried different windows settings

- switching accounts

I only have this problem on my main PC and not on my laptop. I have had this problem since I switched from Intel to AMD (Ryzen R5 1600 on an Asus B350 Mainboard).

Has somebody experienced this problem themselves or has a solution for me to try? I've searched all around the internet but haven't found anything that describes my problem. Thanks in advance 🙂

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Device

Custom-built PC

Operating System

Windows 10

21 Replies

Re: Audio distortion in all songs

nactigi
Composer

Is it happening when you're listening your downloaded songs too? If yes, i think the problem is your Spotify PC version. Is it up to date? The problem is can't be your hardware i think. If it is, you'll hear same sounds when you're listening songs on YouTube etc.

Niklas_mp3
Casual Listener

Hello nactigi,

Yes, the problem is present when listening to downloaded songs, Spotify is up-to-date, so is Windows and all the drivers.

nactigi
Composer

Okay i'm trying to solve your problem 😄 Have you tried Spotify Web Player? Is there same problem too?

Niklas_mp3
Casual Listener
No, the web player works perfectly fine and I used it as a temp solution because of the limited feature-set.

Bobins
Regular

Whilst the symptoms reported are not completely identical this does seem the most relevant post to what im experiencing... It's only been a recent occurrence but recently all music that I play at any sort of "decent" volume becomes harshly distorted... I've had to dial the volume back below half to prevent the distortion... which is Not ideal... My system is the same as it's always been... so is my audio equipment, "Creative" speakers plugged into my computer. which remains capable of playing localized music with high Bass levels at high volume with Zero distortion.

Prior to today, everything I've played through Spotify on my computer, be it heavy metal, rock in general or trance/dance anthems has sounded true to the original... with full, deep Bass and no distortion.. yet over the past few days its all distorted at volume above 50%...

I'm baffled as to why this is happening... as all my favorite tracks previously played pure and clear on the same system upto and including 100% of the capable volume of my system.... Ive gone through the settings and changed quality from Auto to Highest, incase it was an auto misshap... causing my recent issues, but im still having the same problem with audio distortion... this is very frustrating!

Alex

Hi there @Bobins,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Could you try running a clean reinstall of the app? This involves deleting the app cache, which can sometimes cause issues. Follow the exact steps from this Spotify Answer here.

If after the clean reinstall, the sound still gets distorted, could you try playing music with headphones or another speaker (if possible) and tell us if you experience the same behavior.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Thanks.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

dgreen97
Casual Listener

I'm having the same issue now that I switched to AMD ryzen 5600x. I wasn't getting this problem before on spotify desktop. All audio works fine, even Spotify web player, except for spotify desktop where the audio plays and then soon after I get distortion that cuts in and out of the audio for all songs. Any ideas on how to fix this? I've uninstalled spotify multiple times now and hasn't fixed it.

CarlosE

Hey there @dgreen97,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Just to confirm, did you make sure to follow these specific steps for a clean reinstall?

It's also a good idea to make sure that your audio drivers are updated. You can try reinstalling those as well.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

dgreen97
Casual Listener

Ive updated audio drivers for my focusrite scarlett solo and I tried this on my headphones too which are plugged into the motherboard jack and have the same issue. I don't have distortion on any other audio on the system except for spotify desktop. I clean uninstalled Spotify twice too.

SUGGESTED POSTS