Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Audio problems on fresh install

Audio problems on fresh install

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

(New HP Intel i5 laptop)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I just got a  new pc and downloaded the desktop version (which I used on my old pc)  and I am having an issue where it will not play from my default audio device.  I have to switch  back to my laptop speaker (realtech) and then switch back to my default device and then it will play.  But it will only play ion the left side of my headphones.

The right side of my headphones do work when I do an audio test.  They also work if I use the browser version, Youtube and other desktop programs I use.  This problem occurs only with one other separate desktop program.

I have  tried everything including complete fresh installs.  I am at a loss.

Thank you for any help. 

5 Replies

Hi there @Jackson74,

thanks for posting !

Most cases of audio issues happen upon the change of system / drivers installation.

I would suggest trying the following :

- Uninstall Spotify

- Use any Registry app to clean old traces of the app

- Run your Win update to make sure your system is fully updated

- Check that your audio drivers are updated as well

- Uninstall your audio drivers and reinstall them

- Reinstall Spotify

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Thanks for the help.

Did not work though. Same exact problem is still here.

Hey @Jackson74,

Thanks for visiting the Community!

Interesting case you go here. So all audio works except for Spotify.

Could you tell us more about your setup? As much as you can, really. Could you let us know what you see when you attempt to play music as well?

Let us know what you can find. Looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

@Guido
Thank you for the help. I receive a banner error across the top that says " Spotify can't play this right now, if you have the file on you computer you can import it."

If I then switch to my laptop speakers for my audio device and play for a second, then switch back to my default audio interface player it will play , but only on the left side. My headphones and default audio device work fine on browser applications and desktop media players. Just Spotify and one other desktop program are doing this.

Than you for any help.

Hey @Jackson74 

That's an odd issue, but I suspect it might be something to do with default devices:

Windows 10 allows users to set default devices for specific apps, besides the system-wide setting. I've seen that setting something as system-wide default may not necessarily affect the app-specific setting.

1. Open Settings, go to Sound.

2. Scroll down and click on "App volume and device preferences".

3. See if Spotify has the speakers as default or not.

Spotify uses the default device for playback.

You need to have Spotify open and attempting playback before, otherwise you won't see it in the list.

If that doesn't help, please let me know if the headphones you have are wireless or wired (are they bluetooth, USB, etc).

You can also try changing audio quality settings in Spotify's preferences, maybe that helps.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts