Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bring back the option to report explicit content

Bring back the option to report explicit content

Plan: Family

Device: PC

Operating System: Windows 10

My Question or Issue: I really don't like having multiple songs dropping F-bombs around my kids, especially when those songs aren't marked "Explicit." There used to be an option to report incorrectly tagged songs in the desktop client. Please restore that tool and actually pay attention to reports. It's 2020, crowd-sourcing song metatags shouldn't be hard.

13 Replies

Hey there @Siv_Art

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

The option to report explicit content isn't currently available on the desktop client. However, we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Just to be absolutely clear then, it's Spotify's position that songs not currently marked as being explicit but do contain multiple swear words will continue to not be marked explicit until an Idea is submitted to the Spotify Community? This has been an issue for several years at this point and it's a terrible look for Spotify that should have a simple solution. What's the timeline for a fix?

According to https://support.spotify.com/us/article/explicit-content/

"Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. We can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such."

So it sounds like they are not interested in hearing from users.

I completely agree! The combination of paying for a Family Plan, not being able to mark songs as explicit and not being able to prevent a song from being played, is unacceptable! We really need a way to better filter songs that our children have access to.

Hey @MMesich,

Thank you for reaching out.

Our user's feedback is important for us and that's what we suggest creating an idea about this. You can take a look here to see how your feedback reaches the teams here.

We also have the Spotify Kids app that's available for our Premium Family users with younger children.

The Kids app is packed with singalongs, soundtracks, and playlists made just for our young listeners. You can read more about it by clicking here

We hope the information above was helpful. We're always one reply away if you need us. We're happy to help 🙂

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This feature existed for a long while on the iOS app version. Now it’s gone? That’s not a bug, but a business decision. As a parent, I’m frustrated by this. One, I don’t want to listen to music with cursing, and two, I don’t want my kids hearing that either. 

A teen doesn’t want/need the kids Spotify. They need a clean version accessible to them. And it mostly was until someone decided otherwise.  
When looking to report a song online there isn’t an option to specify explicit language as the reason. 

By removing the features and options to report they speak loud and clear - Spotify isn’t interested in families or people who don’t want to listen to music with the big E next to it. 

Please fix this. 

Hey there @tdemers

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

We really appreciate your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward. Keep in mind that you can reach out to our Support team following the steps you'll find here so they can report any content. 

You can also use Spotify Kids if you'd like to manage what they're listening to. You'll find all the necessary info here.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away.

Cheers.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm really not impressed that it's been almost TWO YEARS and this still hasn't been resolved. Between this and the fact that there's no option to mark ads as explicit, either, it's quite obvious that Spotify has no interest in serving its listeners who prefer not to hear such content. (Which is an idiotic business move, since any listeners who don't care can just choose to allow explicit content, and currently there's no such choice for listeners on the other side. Allowing the marking of explicit content would please listeners like those in this thread without at all impeding listeners who don't care. Which you obviously knew, since you used to have this feature, so I really don't understand why you decided to backtrack.)

I'm not a parent, but I have younger siblings who often overhear what I listen to, and I don't want to be broadsided by some explicit ad or song when they could potentially be around. Not to mention the simple fact that I don't like listening to explicit content.

Please start listening to your customers and respect those of us who prefer to (effectively) filter what we or our families listen to.

This link does not include anything regarding explicit content; only broken or illegal content.

It's worse than I thought. My child had Spotify and I recently learned there are many inappropriate podcasts that are accessible even though explicit is turned off. #FAIL 

I appreciate the suggestion to report content, but at this point there is so much out there it's obvious that Spotify isn't really interested in keeping explicit material filtered. Here are a few examples:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1pTHitlOEMpYYqi98mOzqV

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6s0GPEgdcvVKcElorbA2yO

https://open.spotify.com/show/5V0JWrzWz9Jpnz9dobIiel

I think the titles and pictures speak for themselves. This material has been up there for months in some cases.

2023 and this is still a major issue. My 5 and 9 year old love listening to music - I of course have explicit songs turned off but there are still lots of tracks full of swear words. A very simple algorithm based on track listens vs a small menu option to report explict content would very quickly solve this.

For example, I created a playlist with tracks from the lineup for the Reading Festival 2023; choosing only non-explicit songs on top of having the explicit filter on - this track https://open.spotify.com/track/2vYBVOigtDiRXbH6TOg6sx?si=dad249b509bc420d is full of F-Bombs and there are countless examples.

Appalling that Spotify can't use a small fraction of one of it's many millions in revenues to make this a product I can feel safe to let my children listen to and enjoy the wonderful rewards that listening to music can give people!!

I really wish they would work on accepting user-suggested explicit tags. When I'm listening to music in the garden I like to turn off explicit songs so that I'm not interrupting my neighbours' (and their kids') time outdoors with swears, and likewise when I'm in the office by myself. 

Suggested posts