Country

Germany

Device

Desktop Pc
CPU - R5 3600

Operating System

Windows 22000.348 64bit Pro

My Question or Issue

Hey, lately Spotify uses ~10% of my cpu constantly. Before it was like 0.2% and spiked maybe to 1% or 2% while browsing.
Spotify can only be closed by terminating the process (cmd - taskkill or taskmanager). Otherwise it keeps going as background thread without ui unsing 8% cpu (also unable to start another instance, while its still "running").
Ram/Disk/Network/GPU usage is as excpected.
What i've tried so far:

• Full restarting the pc (not windows quick load intruducted in win 10)
  • Reinstalling spotify from the system control
  • Clearing cache of spotify (%appdata%./local/spotify)
  • Remove cache and spotify manually (%appdata%spotify and cache as above) [multiple times already]
  • Using other accounts
  • Different settings inside spotify (crossfade, normalization, localfiles, hardware acceleration, streaming and download quality)
  • Offline mode didn't helped either, as it did for others in this forum (eventho this isnt a real solution)
  • tried older versions / microsoft store version
  • Waiting if spotify settles at somepoint (3h)

None of stated above eliminates the problem nor reduces cpu load.

My version: Spotify for Windows 1.1.74.631.g0b24d9ad

(Also the friend activity is gone, but could be because of the new opt-in, not sure here)

Happy for every response

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okey, so problem is finally solved 😄

The magic trick was to install the specific older version labeled as "Vista" (from https://www.spotify.com/us/download/other) after that update spotify inside the old one in the about section. Then CPU usage should drop to almost 0 again.

Neither the technical support nor me knows exactly why but he forwarded it to the devs. 

Hope that information helps a few others as well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey there @Dschogo!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Good job on trying so many troubleshooting steps and sharing them with us, we really appreciate this.

If none of the usual steps solve this, it might be caused by an issue with your device's cache that needs to be removed from your Spotify account as well. You can reach out to our support teams here, who should be able to help you sort that out. Keep in mind that you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts afterwards.

As for the Friends Activity, as you say, it's very possible that you're not seeing your friends because they have not toggled the setting to allow the app to show their activity.

We'll be on the lookout for your update. Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Alright, deleting the offline devices (cache) by the technical support team didnt fixed it either. He told me to wait for the next client release and see if the issue persists.
Till then i'll let this thread open as a reminder.

Thanks for the quick response 😄

Thanks for getting back to us @Dschogo!

Sorry to hear that didn't solve the issue. It's indeed a great call to see if the next version of the app will fix this for you.

Keep us in the loop!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Okey, so problem is finally solved 😄

The magic trick was to install the specific older version labeled as "Vista" (from https://www.spotify.com/us/download/other) after that update spotify inside the old one in the about section. Then CPU usage should drop to almost 0 again.

Neither the technical support nor me knows exactly why but he forwarded it to the devs. 

Hope that information helps a few others as well.

Suggested posts