Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

The desktop app doesn't work anymore for me. Whenever I try to play a song, it just says "Spotify can't play this right now".

It works fine to use the webplayer, and they even connect so I can control webplayer through desktop app, but the actual desktop app itself can't play any songs!

I've tried logging in and logging out, restarting PC, reinstalling app, but the problem persists.

12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Can't play music on desktop

Visitor
Having the exact same issue here. Same plan, device type, operating system - but located in the UK. Have tried all the same steps, webplayer works fine but the desktop windows 10 app does not.
Highlighted

Same issue here in Norway

Highlighted

Visitor

Same issue, USA.

Tried clean reinstall, checked hosts file, cleared local files.  Works on web player and android app, both on 4g and on the same network as my desktop.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Same problem in Poland.

Android app works perfectly fine, web player too, but the desktop application keeps skipping tracks and informs me that they can' t be played.

I tried logging out/in, reinstalling the app and nothing helps.

It also seems that Spotify team don't give a damn about the problem, so maybe it's time for me to subscribe Tidal instead...

Highlighted

Regular

I'm having this exact issue from today.  I've been running it on this device almost every day for months now with no issues (W10 64bit)  Premium account.

Works on my phone.

Tried rebooting.

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling.

Turned off hardware acceleration

Adjusted quality.

Deleted local cache.

Tried selecting different playback devices, and switching between then also

Every other form of media plays fine on this PC.

It's all tracks and radio, which if I try to choose that will skip through each track in the radio playlist in quick succession.

Version No. 1.1.35.458.g891674f3

Highlighted

Regular

Update to this:  I just created and logged in with a new account (standard non premium) and surprise surprise, it works perfectly fine with a free account.

Logged out, back in as my main and it has the exact same problem again, so it does appear to be account related, with a local issue tied in (as it works on my phone OK).

Casual Listener

It seems there's a partial solution. Try opening Spotify app as administrator - it works for me and for other people (I found the solution in this thread: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-App-won-t-play-unless-I-start-it-with-admin...).

Highlighted

Regular

Thanks, I made my own thread after seeing this one and found that out myself a few hours ago during my own testing.  Interestingly enough, I made a new free account at the time and logged in with that and it was fine.  Logged out, in with premium, issue returns, back out and log in with free account, its fine again. 

There looks to be some kind of local and account related issue, possibly with file permissions or run level.  Using admin is OK, but tbh I don't want a 3rd party app having admin rights to my PC whilst it's running.  

Highlighted

Casual Listener
I guess there's no particular danger in running Spotify app in admin mode, but better safe than sorry... Anyway, we probably need to wait until they fix the issue (and hope they do it soon!).
SUGGESTED POSTS